homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Goodbye Glasses (I think) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Goodbye Glasses (I think)
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 20:14      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’ve always been one of those people who, while they look “cute” in their glasses, look so much better with out. Sick of my glasses always getting in the way of things I though “Hey why not get contacts!” It was a brilliant idea…or so I though. I got hyped up, ready to be rid of 'um.

I was close, so very close to getting rid of my glasses once and for all! But…then I googled. And my oh my the horror stories about contacts and their baggage invaded my mind in a most obtrusive fashion.

So here I sit, still with glasses. It's my fate to wear them for the rest of my life. Or walk around seeing nothing but blurriness. Hm.

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 20:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post pics with and without glasses. Knowing the general tastes of the geeks here, you'll get an ego boost that will make you happier about your glasses when you see which winds up favored.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 21:39      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get titanium hingeless frames with polycarbonate lenses if regular glasses bother you too much - those are practically weightless. Something similar to those, but with regular prescription lenses.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 23:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find a pair of glasses that flatter your face, and cough up for lightweight, scratch-resistant lenses.

I wear contacts most of the time, but I do like my glasses, and if I'm going to be spending shitloads of time in front of a computer screen I prefer my glasses as my eyes tend to dry out. I've been wearing contacts for almost 13 years now and haven't had any serious issues but everyone's different. The amount of baggage that comes with contacts depends very heavily on the type you get. I use soft disposables, so it's pretty easy for me. I can also leave mine in 24/7 for up to a week, which is convenient when I'm out on an adventure (but not exactly comfortable after five or six days), and I've even opened my eyes underwater in swimming pools with lenses in. But my eyes are pretty resilient. YMMV.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 03:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you investigate surgical correction too, incendetally? If your prescreption doesn't change from year to year, you may be able to have your vision corrected and be done with glasses, contacts and all. Several of my co-workers have done so and they've all been pleased with the results.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 04:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had gas permeable (hard) contact lenses for 15 years now. There is more up-front cost but they are cheaper in the long run. (a pair will last me about 5 years.) As for the baggae I find it no problem to clean mine, even when backpacking. Just remember not to put in your contacts just after handling chilli peppers.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 09, 2007 06:05      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using disposable contact lenses since 8th grade and I love them!
I still keep my glasses in case of, though.
The only drawbacks with my contact lenses is that I have to be careful with them in the swimming pool and the beach, but they're still cool.
I'm thinking on having a laser surgery when I'm 18-21.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 08:11      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, I really, really, really, want to get contacts. I have more then a small case of OCD though, and the thought of going through some of the rare, but awful, side affects people get from wearing contacts, scares the hell out of me.
Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 08:23      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my first set of contact lenses after I turned 30.

As long as you're careful, it isn't that big a problem. I would suggest you get the ones which you only wear for a week or two. Also, make sure you get an opthalmologist who's really good at actually FITTING contacts. Brands fit differently depending on the shape of your cornea.

Also, if you're a "can't touch my eye!" person, forget it. You have to be able to get your hands at your eyes.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 16:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got contacts a year ago. I absolutely LOVE them. Mine are the kind I can leave in for a month at a time. Sure, I take them out every so often and let them soak for a few days--and during those times I have a really awesome pair of glasses I wear.

I'm really glad I got contacts 'cause now I can wear sunglasses while I drive. And with my job, I do a LOT of driving. So that's another benefit of contacts. That, and being able to see in the middle of the night when I wake up.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 19:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Post pics with and without glasses. Knowing the general tastes of the geeks here, you'll get an ego boost that will make you happier about your glasses when you see which winds up favored.

Yeah...glasses are a good thing. [Big Grin] I'm sure at least one person can attest to my like of them. [Wink]

Of course, it's kind of funny that I'm seeing someone who *doesn't* wear glasses. Maybe she actually wears contacts and can come around to seeing the light? [Wink]

*sigh*

I second Steen's comments about pics! Unless you're wearing some kind of garish rims, I almost guarantee you'll get a positive response from me. [Smile]

Speaking of which...nice frames, Spoongirl! [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 20:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So here's something I've noticed. Onions always make me kind of teary, but when I wear glasses onions just destroy me. Seriously. Tears, stinging, pain...I'm basically making one slice, wiping my eyes, making another slice, and so on. But when I wear contacts, I handle onions just fine. This happen to anyone else?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 09, 2007 20:53      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted photos but I'm a big chicken, I'm not to keen to have my photos online. [crazy]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 05:03      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *love* my glasses.

Plastic chunkies all the way. [Big Grin]

Glasses rawk most people. I think we should see pics, too. [Razz]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 05:51      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got daily-wear disposable contacts. My first two years, they were great. I wore my very first pair for 18 hours the first day. The last set I got were galyfilcon instead of etafilcon (all Johnson & Johnson Accuvue), and they irritate my eyes after a few hours.

That being said, the contacts can't be beat for outdoor activities. I put them in, and slide on a pair of sunglasses that don't slide down my face much, and I can ride my bicycle for hours.

I wear my glasses at work, though, because I have a high-resolution monitor and my glasses correct my vision better than the contacts do.

Ask your eye doctor about trial sets of lenses. That should let you know if you can get the hang of putting them in and taking them out (it took me 30 frustrating minutes to get them in the first day), or even whether you think they'll be worth it, before you drop a chunk of cash on a 6-12 month supply of lenses.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 06:47      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my contacts since January and so far, I really like them. They do take a little getting used to, but generally they aren't bad if you take care of them, i.e. don't use water on them, make sure you rinse them well, etc.

FWIW, I still have my glasses because some of the lab profs. don't like contacts in their labs, it's just a neurotic saftey thing for them, plus, I actually quite like my glasses, I found a pair of frames that fit my face... anyway, enough rambling from me...

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 07:27      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got contacts and loved them. It took a while to get them in right away. But I had this awesome eye care insurance with the company I was at. It even covered color contacts AND glasses. So I had green eyes.

But then my 3 year old kept dumping them down the sink. Now I'm back to my glasses. I really miss my contacts but can't afford them now. I have been looking at the ones that you throw out every day. They are no more expensive then the ones you use for 2 weeks or a month before you throw them out and no cleaning. So I might go with thoes but I have to go get another eye exam first.

I am thinking an amber color next. I think it would look cool.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 08:27      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely glasses all the way.

Contacts: no
Glasses: yes

Every woman I've dated/married was a glasses wearer. No coincidence there.

Plus, who can imagine Tsuji without glasses? Tsuji Specs

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 08:44      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wore gas permable lens for years until my allergies got so bad. One plus with contacts it that you will see better than with your glasses. It was hard to go back to glasses.

I waffle about lasik. I worry what would happen later if I need cataract surgery or something.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 18:01      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay here are my photos then...*eek*. I'll be brave for a while but then I plan on taking them down after I get some feed back on glasses vs. contacts. [crazy]

EDIT: Ok my stint at bravery is over. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 19:38      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonSmuggler:
Okay here are my photos then...*eek*.

Schwing!

Whether you choose to wear glasses or contacts, you really are not going to make a bad decision: you're set either way!

So I think it's mostly a question of utility. Will contacts be more convenient for whatever you do?

Even if it isn't, I say get a set of contacts. If you don't, you won't even have the option to ditch your glasses.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 20:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a slightly less zealous way, I will second supaboy's opinion... you're attractive either way, so what's best for you should be your deciding factor. I will add, however, that your own self image should be considered. All else being equal, if you feel more attractive without glasses, you'll be happier with contacts.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

brainisfried
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3067

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 08:24      Profile for brainisfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statistically LASIK is safer than contacts, much in the way that flying is safer than driving. If you can afford the bill from a good surgeon, aren't too squeamish, and can deal with the recovery time it's worth it. The first few hours after surgery are the worst, after the anesthesia wears off, but the pain dies down and all is well again. Try to take a week off to recover though you can get away with less.

You may still want glasses for sharper distance vision, maybe a pair of prescription sunglasses, but not needing glasses indoors anymore is GREAT. If you don't need glasses indoors already then your vision probably isn't bad enough to justify surgery or contacts.

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 08:28      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonSmuggler:
I posted photos but I'm a big chicken, I'm not to keen to have my photos online. [crazy]

Yeah, you never know when someone might decide to photoshop you into a bunny costume around here. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 15:27      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as I'm not photoshopped to look like Darth Vader, I'm happy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture