homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » So I need surgery... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: So I need surgery...
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 12:15      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me start from the beginning. In November I had a sleep study to determine if I have sleep apnea. The results of the study said I have a "mild" case of obstructive sleep apnea. Mild meaning that of the 5 stages of sleep I only go through 1, 2 and 5; 3 and 4 are the stages of restorative sleep. I also average 10 apneas an hour. My oxygen levels average 87% and go as low as 74%. Personally I consider this more than mild.

Anyhow a follow-up study was tried but I could not sleep with that CPAP machine. The doctor gave my nose a good look and without actually measuring said it looks like I only have one millimeter of air passage in the left nostril and three in the right. He told me to go see my ENT.

The ENT discussed the procedure with me and told me to take Afrin at night 2 hours before bed for a week. If that stopped my snoring and I felt rested, then I definitely needed the surgery. Today I went back to see him and my wife reports that I have never slept so quietly. I am definitely going to have my septum fixed. The ENT also said that I might want to consider having my uvula removed as well. I asked him if it was large, he said no, so I considered it and thought about two other people who had it done with their sinus surgery who have told me that it was painful. Considering the sleep doctor also said don't let the ENT operate on your throat for this, I think I will skip the removal of my uvula.

I go into surgery on Thursday February 15th. This works out great for me because I finish my class on the 12th and I won't have another until March 23rd. My wife and kids get off of work and school on the 16th and don't go back until the 21st due to the holiday.

Anyhow, has anyone here had their septum fixed and if so, how long did it take to recover.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 13:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have my septum fixed, but I did have to have some over-grown bone removed following a fracture last spring (it was obstructing my left nostril, causing me to snore and have serious problems with drainage...I was also having issues with sleep, but never saw a doc over that). So take all of what I say worth a grain of salt, because it was a different situation and I also tend to heal fast.

It took about a week for the worst of the swelling to go away, and longer than that for the bruising to fade (I had the raccoon thing going on). The steristrips they put on my nose got really itchy after day three but I wasn't allowed to take them off - they were supposed to just fall off in ten days. On day nine they magically fell off in the shower (/me whistles innocently). Pain was a non-issue - it only hurt when I touched my nose - but everyone's different and YMMV. They gave me a bunch of Percocet, and made me take one of the pills at the hospital, even though I wasn't hurting. The come down was so nasty, and the post-op pain so non-existant, I didn't take anymore. For the first couple days, I really wanted to blow my nose but couldn't because I'd knock the clots out. I was also not allowed to sleep on my side or front, and I was too swollen to breathe through my nose at night and would wake up with my mouth as dry as dust. I had this done during the summer in CO, when the air is also dry as dust, so needless to say this part really sucked. But, like I said, after a week the worst was over, and after two weeks I was back to my normal life, more or less. I stayed out of martial arts classes until I could tap my face without screaming.

It took about three months for ALL of the swelling to go away (but, like I said, the worst was over within a week), and apparently that's a bit faster than normal. Since then I've been breathing easier, blowing my nose easier, snoring much less, and my sense of smell has improved (I hadn't even realized it had been affected until it got better). I also look more or less the same as I did before the bike wreck, which is nice. So for me it was worth it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 14:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I've never had the procedure performed on me, I do have friends and family members who have had it. Pretty much, it's just out-patient surgery and really not a big deal, especially if they use laser.

I thought you were on an oil rig in the middle of the Gulf?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 14:05      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never did tell you about that. Unfortunately, they hemmed and hawed about it until they got to slow part of the year. In a nutshell, it fell through. It stinks but cest la vie.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 14:22      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if the person i know had the same surgery as you are getting but they also had a small nasel passage. The surgery was apparently pretty simple but she suffered a lot of pain afterwords and couldn't do much for a couple days. But now everything is better and she can breath a lot better. good luck with the surgery and make sure to keep us posted - sorry to hear about the oil rig.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 15:43      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy 'Gator. Good to see you around a bit lately. Sorry to learn the oil-rig gig fell through and of your need for a bit of corrective surgery.

As far as the surgery goes, I have a brother who had a similar procedure done when he was in his 30's and a cousin who had one in his 40's. Neither seemed to suffer much in the post-op days and both received considerable relief in breathing, sleeping, etc.

Neither of them had to have any work done on their sinuses. I do know of people who have had their sinuses worked on who seemed to suffer a bit more after their procedures and one of them said it did not relieve the symptoms for which it was done.

Hope this helps. Good luck. [thumbsup]

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 16:18      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankfully nothing is wrong with the sinuses. I'm 37 so it's good to hear that your cousin was doing ok so soon. Thanks for the info.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 16:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, Craw, one of the big risks with nasal surgery is bleeding. I saw first hand what a mess post-op bleeding can be back when I was an EMT, and my doc was very nervous about that. In fact, he wouldn't shut up about it - it was almost like he wanted to scare me off! It would have been funny, except I knew almost as well as he did how serious the situation could get. So follow your ENT's advice, even if it is annoying. It's just temporary.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2007 20:48      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah he mentioned the bleeding. Trust me for the first five days barring natural functions and general cleanliness I will be eating sleeping and watching tv in my easy chair or bed. I know how bad nose bleeds can be; I was one of those kids who could get a nose bleed by breathing the wrong way.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2007 06:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband gets nose bleeds frequently. We eventually traced the problem to low humidity in our apartment. Perhaps you'll want to ensure a good humidity level during recovery, either with a humidifier (although if they're not cleaned thoroughly and frequently, they'll do more harm than good by spewing mold and mildew into the air) or standing bowls of water.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2007 07:00      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my septum straightened and sinuses fixed a few years ago. Not really sure that it actually changed too much, but I had fun with post-op bleeding.

The night I was in hospital I got up to go to the loo and just after I finished I started spewing up all the dead blood that had gone down into my stomach. I spewed black blood all over the bathroom and toilet, and frightened the shit out of myself and my mum.

The removal of the gauze plugs in my nose was so much fun...not. Then I had to deal with the constant changing of bolsters to catch the blood and ooze dripping out of my nose.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2007 08:51      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I suffer from Sleep Aponea, but before I got a CPAP I was having around 40 incidents an hour. I basically was going through stages 1 and 5 and nothing else.

15 years without dreams and restorative sleep is not nice.

On another point, has anyone here had a gastric bypass because it looks as if I am going to have to have one, so I want to know more about it.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 15:45      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well tomorrow is the big day. I am scheduled to be at the hospital by 11am. I should be receiving anesthesia around noon and in recovery around 1pm. Unless something goes wrong I will be out of the hospital by 2:30. I plan to spend the next few days in bed watching movies. Wish me luck people.

--------------------

Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 15:54      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck CrawGator! [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 16:00      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck dude. Enjoy looking at the nurses [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 16:16      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, and here's praying for a quick and uneventful recovery.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 16:32      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, they got to mess with me this past summer. It'll be okay [thumbsup]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 7 posted February 14, 2007 16:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll add my wishes for a successful surgery, a speedy recovery and a hot nurse. [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 17:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck!

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 18:25      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 18:27      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do let us know how it went.

Really.

I will tell you why once I hear back.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 20:20      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck!

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2007 04:17      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, and "enjoy [looking at] the nurses" seconded [Smile]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2007 08:10      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. I will be leaving in about 20 minutes. I will let you know how it went as soon as I am able.

--------------------

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2007 09:33      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am only learning about it now, so while you're at the surgeon's mercy, I sincerly hope you're both doing well.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture