homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Insomnia (Page 1)

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 
 
Author Topic: Insomnia
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 01:54      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its 4:51 in the morning and I can't sleep a wink.

in other news, I'm home for the holidays.
this is me and my mother looking rather disheveled in a cell phone camera picture:
 -

She's 45 and she raised me so you know she's amazing. oh yeah, she's also single [Wink] [evil]

Posts: 619 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 02:01      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were 20 years older... [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 14 posted December 17, 2006 06:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww... you've got the same smile. Disheveled or not, being cute obviously runs in your family.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 07:13      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we definitely do. same nose and bone structure too!

put my brother and me next to my father though, and you'd ask "do you even have a mom? jesus! you're all clones!"

Posts: 619 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 07:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We demand scientific evidence! [Wink]

Seriously... how about a family photo?
(assuming none of your family members have any major reservations about it)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued


Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 07:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but would it be scientific? Might be a Photoshop whiz and tamper with the image ;)
IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 11:01      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice you're close with your mom.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2006 11:51      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, at first I thought this was a thread about somebody who had insomnia. I was kind of at a loss, because I have the opposite problem- narcolepsy.

Anyways, nice photo BA. Lookin' good!

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Posts: 948 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 10:11      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang, BA, I would have thought she's your sister!

Strangely enough, I couldn't sleep last night either. Sympathy insomnia maybe? I did manage to drift off before 4:51am though! I think.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1758 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 10:39      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
We demand scientific evidence! [Wink]

Seriously... how about a family photo?
(assuming none of your family members have any major reservations about it)

I think we're supposed to be taking a dad/bro/sis photo tomorrow with a photographer, actually. but I won't be anywhere near a scanner until after Christmas.

and club: I can only hope that I age as nicely as my mother is.

Posts: 619 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 11:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
business attire wrote:
I think we're supposed to be taking a dad/bro/sis photo tomorrow with a photographer, actually. but I won't be anywhere near a scanner until after Christmas.

That's okay. It gives me something to look forward to that might brighten the miserable, barren wasteland that is my life.

</emo>

(the fact that this is being posted two hours into a three hour long meeting that I can barely keep my eyes open for may have affected the tone of the post)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 13:48      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 14:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
business attire wrote:
I think we're supposed to be taking a dad/bro/sis photo tomorrow with a photographer, actually. but I won't be anywhere near a scanner until after Christmas.

That's okay. It gives me something to look forward to that might brighten the miserable, barren wasteland that is my life.

</emo>

(the fact that this is being posted two hours into a three hour long meeting that I can barely keep my eyes open for may have affected the tone of the post)

Damn, Steen...you practically make me sound cheerful by comparison. [Wink]

I don't envy you with the 3 hour meeting...but try having a 5 hour meeting...that's a new level of hell. Most of us came out of that wishing we were dead. (Thankfully that was 1-2 years ago, but I'm still kind of shell-shocked.)

And now, let me just say "Bah humbug." [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 18:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:
I don't envy you with the 3 hour meeting...but try having a 5 hour meeting...that's a new level of hell. Most of us came out of that wishing we were dead. (Thankfully that was 1-2 years ago, but I'm still kind of shell-shocked.)

Ouch. I was just bored and had a computer to entertain myself with (how bad can a meeting be if I get to read GC during, after all).

I do get to feel some pain for the end of February/beginning of March. I have to sit in on a week long customer training class to audit it (i.e. pay attention) and verify that everything is taught correctly. I wrote 90% of the material, however, so it's guaranteed to be boring for me.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 19:06      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank goodness the Dilbert-ization of my company has not proceeded that far. The longest meetings we have are our twice-annual company meetings, which last for about an hour and a half. That duration has held fast even after a large infusion of private equity and acquisition of one of our largest competitors. What are we doing wrong? How can our company possibly be succeeding without long boring meetings?!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1758 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 19:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our lab meetings happen once a week and rarely last more than an hour. Then the boss's ADD kicks in and he lets us go.

I love my boss.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 19:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my company's defense, there's something big that may happen (I have the -best- insider trading info right now [Eek!] ) that requires this level of discussion. Depending on the outcome, it's possible I may get shipped off to a very northern portion of Germany for a bit. Not a really fun area, though, so I'm sort of hoping to avoid that part of it.

... and now I'm gonna shut up before I give away information that could get me fired [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 22:34      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
In my company's defense, there's something big that may happen (I have the -best- insider trading info right now [Eek!] ) that requires this level of discussion. Depending on the outcome, it's possible I may get shipped off to a very northern portion of Germany for a bit. Not a really fun area, though, so I'm sort of hoping to avoid that part of it.

... and now I'm gonna shut up before I give away information that could get me fired [Smile]

Keep talking...

*logs into his etrade account*

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2006 23:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooo, you two could be cellmates! Wouldn't that be cute? [hearts]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 16:37      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
I can't sleep a wink.

Are you cursing Sir Walter Raliegh?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2006 17:08      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, I am not a fan of Insomnia, but he seems to be awful fond of me.... [Frown]

If ever you find a solution for it, please let me know.

I've been suffering from it all my life and I think I've tried just about everything. Environmental changes (colder, hotter, light, no light, sound, no sound, etc)., diet/exercise changes, schedule changes, over the counter medicine, perscription medicine, therapy, sleep hypnosis, warm milk, reiki, prayer, wall sits for hour increments while reading army manuals, etc.

Heh.

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2006 17:11      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by never_ask_why333:
Ugh, I am not a fan of Insomnia, but he seems to be awful fond of me.... [Frown]

If ever you find a solution for it, please let me know.

I've been suffering from it all my life and I think I've tried just about everything. Environmental changes (colder, hotter, light, no light, sound, no sound, etc)., diet/exercise changes, schedule changes, over the counter medicine, perscription medicine, therapy, sleep hypnosis, warm milk, reiki, prayer, wall sits for hour increments while reading army manuals, etc.

Heh.

Rohipnol. Not only does it help you sleep, there's a whole wide world of uses for it at bars and clubs.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Posts: 948 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 19:43      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:
Originally posted by never_ask_why333:
Ugh, I am not a fan of Insomnia, but he seems to be awful fond of me.... [Frown]

If ever you find a solution for it, please let me know.

I've been suffering from it all my life and I think I've tried just about everything. Environmental changes (colder, hotter, light, no light, sound, no sound, etc)., diet/exercise changes, schedule changes, over the counter medicine, perscription medicine, therapy, sleep hypnosis, warm milk, reiki, prayer, wall sits for hour increments while reading army manuals, etc.

Heh.

Rohipnol. Not only does it help you sleep, there's a whole wide world of uses for it at bars and clubs.
I will certainly look it up. Thanks!

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 23:18      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NAW: thats the date rape drug. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 619 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 15:25      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I suppose that saved me from looking it up. Haha. Naive. Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

Posts: 155 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged


All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 
 
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0



homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam