homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I have clutter and disorganization going on (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I have clutter and disorganization going on
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted August 21, 2006 11:06      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it amazing how the human brain can live amongst clutter and mess and "not see" it? How marvelous our brains can do that, yet, how sad too. Sometimes I have to take a photo and look at it to see it realistically. Weird.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 21, 2006 11:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
post h0t piks! [Razz]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 11:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surrounded by more than a few piles of clutter now. I think I've found motivation to clear one or two piles of it, as I'd like to sit in this one particular chair. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 21, 2006 12:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had two painting week-ends in about six weeks, and two other week-ends away from town. Although I took last week off, my condo is still upside-down. (Ok, I didn't do much last week anyway.)

But I can totally understand the "living in clutter and not seeing it" concept. I do it all year round - but you know what? It's MY clutter, and I'm fine with it! [evil]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 13:11      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent six weekends in a row either away or sick. I've barely begun to work on the massive mess. [ohwell]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 13:27      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using the same coffee cup, unwashed for 4 weeks straight, and still haven't got infected... We're amazing creatures aren't we. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 17:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugurcan:
I've been using the same coffee cup, unwashed for 4 weeks straight, and still haven't got infected... We're amazing creatures aren't we. [Big Grin]

Well, that's why I use the same cup for water throughout the day... it's pretty close to being cleaned that way, isn't it? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 17:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've been using the same coffee cup, unwashed for 4 weeks straight, and still haven't got infected...

If you like your coffee the way my Turkish friends do, I'm not surprised.
No bacteria would survive for long in that brew.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 18:19      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
I've been using the same coffee cup, unwashed for 4 weeks straight, and still haven't got infected...

If you like your coffee the way my Turkish friends do, I'm not surprised.
No bacteria would survive for long in that brew.

I've had turkish coffee before.. they serve it at one of the coffee shops back home. Good stuff. Takes forever to prepare, and unless you have someone who knows that they're doing, it's more grounds than it is fluid.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 18:30      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I've had turkish coffee before.. they serve it at one of the coffee shops back home. Good stuff. Takes forever to prepare, and unless you have someone who knows that they're doing, it's more grounds than it is fluid.

My boss has a knack for it; she greets me at the office anytime I have to show up before noon with a cup. It's good for what ails ya!
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 19:26      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The clutter in my office is now so bad it actually depresses me. I know it makes me less productive, but it's more than I want to face - and there are more interesting things to work on. I may have to get a new job just so I can throw everything out and start fresh.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 19:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm beginning to think that the only thing that's going to fix my clutter is a flamethrower. [Frown]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 20:59            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, or borrow a digger and bury most of my room in the front garden :> That would be nice, but I do imagine the flamethrower approach might have some therapeutic merits ... Along the lines of "Burn /mo[a-z]+/, burn!!"
IP: Logged
jfw
Member # 1923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 06:30      Profile for jfw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal definition for the difference between "cluttered" and "well organized" is "can I remember where I put something"? As long as the answer to that is "yes", it is "well organized" (and that state can last a surprising amount of time). Once the mental filing system fails, then it's time to clean up. I think of it as "just in time organization"...
Posts: 20 | From: Boxboro Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 13:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know you have real clutter "issues" (Damn! I hate that word. [Mad] - but I had to use it to get it outta my brain [crazy] ) when you sort everything into two piles:

1) Important stuff to file away
2) Junk to get rid of

and next day? You can't tell which pile is which. [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 10:27      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't lots of clutter mean that a genious is at work? As a self-proclaimed artist, I've always got lots of projects on the go and stuff everywhere. I think it just means we're highly motivated [Smile]
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 15:24            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh not in my case. It means I am specifically not motivated to try to figure out what everything is and what to do with it.

Anyone remember how Defrag in DOS 6 would get stuck in a loop when your drive was too full, unable to find any way to shunt the files around? It gets like that -- not enough room to rearrange anything!

But more often, the mere thought is too daunting, too many objects, too little idea how to categorise and store them.

Flamethrower it's got to be.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 19:30      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jfw: I think of it as "just in time organization"...
That's a great concept. I have to figure out how to use it in a conversation one day.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 20:00      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post some pics of your clutter. I'll post mine in the Morning.
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted August 24, 2006 20:48            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you must... [evil]

Reign of chaos 1
Reign of chaos 2
Reign of chaos 3
Reign of chaos 4

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 22:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck me! What a hovel!!

3 LC475s? Why god? Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 23:13            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
¿Huh? Two are orignal LCs, one is an LC III. One of the LCs is the first Mac I ever owned. As for why, because I'd have to find a new loving home for them and they're reasonably out of the way. I know someone who'd take all my old Mac stuff if either of us had a car.
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 02:17      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And an original game boy I see.

Vintage! They must be getting valuable for their retro cool by now surely?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 02:31            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe. I am keeping that one :) I have a bright yellow one where the screen cover fell off (both had that problem but the glue job only worked on the grey one). But I have exactly one cartridge, Tetris. Never really bothered to get any more :P I guess I should get Bomberman for it, since I love that game.

I love the audio quality on it though.

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 03:06      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an original grey one, but sold it. I missed tetris so much I had to buy another, and also got one of the bright yellow ones.

Unfortunately, that got nicked when we were burgled last year. Insurance bought me a DS, and now tetris and SMB are out, I'm happy enough with the replacement. Tetris online is the dogs bollocks.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture