homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » What's in your clipboard? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's in your clipboard?
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 08:04      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do it all the time. Copy, copy. Paste, paste.

What's in your clipboard right now?

[ctrl+V]
I was like "well damn, I guess she didn't want to talk to me then..."

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 08:25      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A slide from Captivate. I'm taking a break from building a French version of a simulation for a course. (119 slides, more than half needing to be partially blurred to protect confidential data. Then insert comments and navigation jumps to allow the users to go through it the way they want. Long, boring work, but I get paid for it.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 09, 2006 08:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*paste*
http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/831.html

(A leftover from last night's JoT update. I use Butler, for it's multiple pasteboards. Life without muiltiple pasteboards is sheer hell... why Apple hasn't made them part of the OS I will never understand.)

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 09:20      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In response to an email my dad forwarded to me today.
------------------

I'll give it a read this weekend. However the essay is not by who it says, according to snopes.com (a site that verifies rumor sources)

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/soapbox/chong.asp

Origins: The above-quoted essay about the war on terrorism is yet one more example of misattribution through e-mail forwarding. Although USAF Major General Vernon Chong is indeed a real person, the essay was not written by him; it was something he came across and forwarded to an acquaintance via e-mail, thereby attaching his name to it and inadvertently causing other recipients to erroneously assume he was its author.

This essay began circulating back in mid-2004 under the title "THE WORLD SITUATION — A LETTER TO MY SONS," with the following opening:
This was written by a retired attorney, to his sons, May 19, 2004.

Dear Tom, Kevin, Kirby and Ted,

As your father, I believe I owe it to you to share some thoughts on the present world situation. We have over the years discussed a lot of important things, like going to college, jobs and so forth. But this really takes precedence over any of those discussions. I hope this might give you a longer term perspective that fewer and fewer of my generation are left to speak to. To be sure you understand that this is not politically flavored, I will tell you that since Franklin D. Roosevelt, who led us through pre and WWII (1933 - 1945) up to and including our present President, I have without exception, supported our presidents on all matters of international conflict. This would include just naming a few in addition to President Roosevelt - WWII: President Truman - Korean War 1950; President Kennedy Bay of Pigs (1961); President Kennedy - Vietnam (1961); eight presidents (5 Republican & 4 Democrat) during the cold war (1945 - 1991); President Clinton's strikes on Bosnia (1995) and on Iraq (1998). So be sure you read this as completely non-political or otherwise you will miss the point.

Our country is now facing the most serious threat to its existence, as we know it, that we have faced in your lifetime and mine (which includes WWII). The deadly seriousness is greatly compounded by the fact that there are very few of us who think we can possibly lose this war and even fewer who realize what losing really means. First, let's examine a few basics:
Somewhere along the chain of multiple forwardings, someone rewrote the first few paragraphs and mistakenly attributed the entire piece to General Chong. We have not yet been able to ascertain the identity of the original author.

Last updated: 15 November 2005

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 09:41            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"http://www.gotoclips.com/hot-girl-in-rain.html"

(sans quotes). Apparently this doesn't work in Internet Explorer (being < 512 bytes) but in Firefox it's an error page that says simply "index.php". I am not sure what they were trying to do, but they failed.

Reminds me of how ntl's web-based mail will sometimes give me a blank page saying nothing but "not allowed" when I try to log out. Apparently I'm a prisoner of ntl forever...

IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 09:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 51MB customer's database. Be glad I can't paste it in here [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 10:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*pastes*
code:
       $variable->{ArrayOfEntries} = [
{ width => 100, entry => 'Order ID', },
{ width => 50, entry => 'Total', },
{ width => 100, entry => 'Date', },
{ width => 200, entry => 'Ship to Company', },
{ width => 100, entry => 'Status', },
{ width => 150, entry => 'Last Modified', },

My (fledgling) attempt to clean up some code containing horribly named variables being assigned data that doesn't make any sense to appease html templates that were poorly designed by an idiot.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 10:09      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

An order number, I copy and paste order numbers from one data base to another.

I hit a button that imports from the sales database to the OE database and when the order is "Committed" it disapears, so I either have to wright it down or copy it and paste it. Since i only need it for about 2 minutes and wrighting it down would fill up 2 pages a day I do it this way.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 11:48      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cane-toad.com/movie.php

An amusing little video. Linked for ease of following.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 11:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A snipurl which I just made: http://snipurl.com/gc_rss1
[Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 22:41      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1702 4TH AVE S
SEATTLE, WA

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 00:45      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
resuscitated

I used the word in another post and I can't spell.

BTW, Bibo, and others interested, I read the letter in your link.

The United States of America has been fighting Middle East terrorism ever since President Thomas Jefferson sent Marines to confront the Barbary Coast Pirates (1803-1805). Jace Raven sings a catchy little ditty that includes a mention of that adventure.

Teddy Roosevelt waved his "Big Stick" and sent seven battleships to Morrocco in 1904 after Ion Perdicaris was taken hostage by rifle-toting Berber tribesmen led by Mulai Ahmed er Raisuli.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Mu
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5173

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 07:40      Profile for The Mu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyimages/832.gif

I was showing it to people.

Posts: 17 | From: Definitely not in your general vicinity | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 09:21      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Name:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Service Number:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Customer Status:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Customer Name:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Vendor:
Dell

Model:

PowerEdge 1850
Category:
Server

Power:

0 / 0
Size (in U):

Type:

Customer
Serial Number:
7LQ1F1J

Estimated Active Date:

O.S.:
Windows 2003

O.S. Version:

Rack:
EU-GENE1-B11-01-18

Bot. U Num:

IPs:
10.121.26.139 /32
(OOB - Descr)
62.50.72.26 /30
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.100 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.101 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.102 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.103 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.104 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.105 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.106 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.107 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.108 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.109 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.110 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.98 /28
(Public - Descr)
62.50.73.99 /28
(Public - Descr)

Hmm, just had to reboot a client's server and was writing up the trouble ticket for it, so here is the info.
Nothing really top secret or private, though I have edited out what might be considered provate.
You can find out who very easily anyway by going to their website.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 14:58      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I told Althea I was feeling lost."
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 15:00      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XXXXX XXXXXXXXX Measurements:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 185 lbs.
Neck: 16 1/4"
Mid Neck: 14 1/2"
Chest: 39 3/4, 40
Waist: 34"
Inseam: 35"
Upper Hip: 36 3/4"
Lower Hip: 38 1/4"
Across Front: 16"
Neck to Waist Front: 16"
Nape to Shoulder: 8 1/4 ", to Elbow: 24 1/4", To Wrist: 36 1/2"
Biceps: 14"
Forearm: 12"
Wrist: 7"
Across Back: 15 1/2"
Nape to Waist Back: 17 1/2", to Ground: 63 1/4"
Waist to Knee: 26 1/4", to Below Knee: 28 1/2"
Outside Leg: 46"
Inside Leg: 34"
Thigh: 21 3/4"
Below Knee: 14 1/2"
Calf: 14 1/4"
Short Girth: 30"
Long Girth: 67"
Head, Circumference: 23", Forehead to Poll: 15 3/4", Ear to Ear: 12"
Suit Size: 42L-44L
Shoe Size: 11
Glove Size: 9 1/4, 8 3/4
Hat Size: 7 1/4 Long Oval

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 15:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php

I linked it to share the joy. [Smile]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 15:30            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UBB automatically links, no?

http://testing123.com/ (no UBB tags here)

The latest iCab private beta allegedly (I've not tried it) will open any URL, linked or not, if you cmd-click it. (With standard modifiers applicable)

[Edit: Yep. I only use UBB URL tags when I wish to caption the hyperlink, often good with excessively long links or when I want to put the link in the flow of a sentence.]

(PS my clipboard now contains this post, in case Firefox or the site poos on me as I click Edit Post ;)

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 18:49      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is empty at the moment.

Heh... Ph. D. comics - I first ran across those when applying to CMU's program. Apparently, they consider it vital reading on how to get into grad. school [Smile]

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 19:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? I'm finding it more vital for surviving grad school.

One of the reasons I find it so funny is because it's so true.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 20:02      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[me] (9:45:15 PM): sounds very.... nerdy and awesome at the same time
[someone] (9:45:36 PM): yeah :-)
[someone] (9:45:41 PM): isn't that redundant? ;-)

(screen names have been edited out for stalker protection)

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 20:35            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, I thought so. I thought that would be why it was in your clipboard ;)
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 20:37      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My clipboard purge...

Nothing, not a motion, not a twinge or a faintly perceptible spasm. An empty sock hanging on a wall was the analogy one of them used. I cringed slightly, because that has happened to me. Who hasn't it happened to? There are just times when nature has its mind on something else. Maybe there's a force that tracks the current population growth in the world: if it's too high it flies around disabling penises until the numbers settle down. It very much fits with the Gaia concept if you cogitate enough about it. The population must have been very high that one night my Poor Brenda (who also has some big… oh pardon me, you don't need to know that) sat and watched my limp fifth appendage wallow. It was the first and so far last time I cried openly. After a shake of the head I rejoined the conversation. Wonder Woman's plan being totally foiled, she decided to have an abortion. She told Mr. X - whom I now feel like calling Mr. Impotent just to make myself feel part of the group - that she had to "go shopping" and off she went. Wonder Woman told the interlocutors that she returned to the house in tears carrying about ten bags of clothing she already owned. Mr. Impotent was concerned, but let her go to bed sobbing. "The total ass!" one of them hissed. I have to admit that wasn't nice, but I've experienced that too with Brenda. Sometimes women just sob for no reason, and no matter what you do they won't let you in on their pain.

Ummm... ahhhh... I apparently need to purge my clipboard more often...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 20:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ewomack!!! I was thinking about making a 'Calling ewomack' thread. [Razz]

From my clipboard earlier today:
Extremely NSFW... (but not exactly disturbing or anything...not really)
http://snipurl.com/rkk5

--------
(Do heed the above warning if you're overly sensitive, humo[u]r impaired, or in mixed company.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 21:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me clicks the link

ROTFSMPL! That is so wrong and yet so funny...

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture