homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Friday Five!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five!
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 12:06      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Aditu seems to be MIA lately with the Friday Five (hope all is well with her, and she's just been too busy for the intarweb), I'm going to provide this week's.

This week's is about people.

1. If you could say 1 things to 1 person from your past, that you cannot say anymore, or would never say to their face, what would it be? (Saying who it would be to is optional.)

2. Do you often get revenge on people in one way another, whether in jest or for real? Is there an outstanding plot you have to get someone with?

3. If your significant other (real or hypothetical) cheated on you, is there any way you'd rekindle when you found out, or would it unequivocally be over?

4. If your best friend entrusted you with a deep dark secret, which you knew would land you at least $1M if you told it to the right people. Would you keep the secret, or would you take the money and try and buy their forgiveness?

5. How do you normally handle conflict with another person? Will you resort to violence if they attack? Will you walk away?

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 12:52      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. If you could say 1 things to 1 person from your past, that you cannot say anymore, or would never say to their face, what would it be? (Saying who it would be to is optional.)
This is a tough one. There is the usual couple of girls (they'll be women now, though) who I should've said something to at the time. Saying anything would have been better than saying nothing - but that seemed like a huge step to take at the time. But in terms of going back in time and saying something, I probably wouldn't. They say that time heals, and maybe that's because we can't go back and screw up a second time. What's done is done.

2. Do you often get revenge on people in one way another, whether in jest or for real? Is there an outstanding plot you have to get someone with?
I don't do revenge. I was bullied at school and for a long time I found great comfort in devising revenge fantasies. But now I am all growed-up and have a sufficiently twisted imagination to devise some really poetic revenge, I don't want it anymore. Revenge is bad for the soul. If someone puts evil thoughts or deeds out into the world, those chickens will eventually come home to roost. Therefore, revenge is not necessary.

3. If your significant other (real or hypothetical) cheated on you, is there any way you'd rekindle when you found out, or would it unequivocally be over?
I'm tempted to say 'over' - but I am not sure that I know how I might react.

4. If your best friend entrusted you with a deep dark secret, which you knew would land you at least $1M if you told it to the right people. Would you keep the secret, or would you take the money and try and buy their forgiveness?
Keep the secret. I have learned over the years that if someone places their trust in you, thay have given you something beyond the value of mere money.

5. How do you normally handle conflict with another person? Will you resort to violence if they attack? Will you walk away?
I would try to resolve conflict by reasoned negotiation and compromise, and if that failed I would hope that walking away would be an option.

If I was being physically attacked, I think it would be different. I do not go around giving people a hard time and I am no threat to anyone, therefore, on an ethical level, I don't condone violence. However, I firmly believe that I have no obligation to take a beating from some scumbag in the street, for no good reason. This is why I fully support an individual's right to self-defence. What does worry me is that, if it came to a real situation, I would be hopeless at dealing with the violence. So, if attacked, I would probably only get one real chance to do something before my nerve broke. Conclusion? If the hypothetical scumbag were to wave a knife about demanding my wallet, I would take my one chance if I saw it - and if that resulted in a serious or lasting injury to the scumbag, then so be it.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 13:38      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm an open and honest person. I never say anything to anyone about anyone that I wouldn't say right to there face. I can't think of a time when I didn't give one of my friends a piece of my mind when they needed it. There may be some stuff that I wish I didn't say. Something reacently was a friend of mine was being a huge hypocrite and I told them that they where being one. I havn't talked to her much in the last couple of weeks but I do make an effort here and there.

Nope. I'm not the type of person for vengance.

Once I could forgive.

Depends on if/how much it could hurt them. I acctually have a friend I'm thinking about for this question. If she where to let say have another friend that had a "Reward" for captuer becouse of some crime and she told me where the person was and asked me not to tell. Yes because I know that the person would forgive me after probably an hour. But if it was her that was on the run then no.

I walk away

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 13:41      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

There is this girl from University who I've seem to have a huge crush on. But I never saw her again, and I maybe will never. I would have started a conversation with her.

I don't do revenge.

Most likely be over. Even though I might react differently in some situations. But I think I just don't think it's going to last from then on. No chance, it's over - I supply myself unconditionally in a relationship. Cheating is nothing I can tolerate.

Check how much telling would cost him. If it's sub 1M, tell and share the profit.

A conflict - in words:
usually, I just give in if it's somebody I know and just wait until things have calmed down. In the meantime I say to myself "He's a friend. He didn't mean it that way" and try to clear things up asap. Sometimes, I can't just swallow my pride - that's when I start arguing.

A fight:
I am not strong, and I know that. I try to stick with words. If it gets hotter than that, I usually get the hell outta there.

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 13:59      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know really - nothing immediately springs to mind (which is good I guess) so I guess the answer is no

I occasionally think up ways to get revenge on people who have done me wrong... but to be honest thinking them up is enough - and I got better things to do than talking to Mr Plod about dangerous and illegal behaviours... (yeah I do have a dark and rather evil streak in me - well hidden and locked away - but it is there)

Difficult question to be frank - and I think it would depend on the exact circumstances. I would like to think I would be prepared to give it another try... but I can't say for certqain as it has never actually happened to me.

Money is nice but you can't buy friends - and a friendship broken is your life lessened by quite a bit... so sorry but you can keep the money

I try to keep things calm and avoid stuff that is likely to set off a stress induced shaking fit and 99% of the time I would walk away regardless but although I abhor violence if someone really pushed me over the edge they better be prepared to either beat me senseless or risk me smashing them into pulp (being as I am a little guy I would probably get the crap beaten out of me in reality) but in my limited experience once I get pushed over into the primal rage state just knocking the melonfarmer on their ass is not gonna be enough to slake my rage.. (actually I am quite afraid of what might actually happen if I ever really succumbed to the "Red Mist" so that tends to make me steer well clear...(

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 14:35      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, tough questions, Newf. I'll do my best to answer 'em:

I would probably say goodbye to my mother. She took ill very suddenly, and I didn't have time to make arrangements to go down and see her before she passed away. I've always regretted not having a chance to tell her how much she meant to me.

No, not really. I often think about elaborate ways to get back at someone, but never follow through with it. I guess just thinking about it is enough.

I was cheated on, once, and I have to say that I would have gotten back together with him if he had decided to take me back. I was very, very insecure then (not to mention, rather pathetic). If it ever happened again, though, I would unequivocally end the relationship.

I would keep the secret. Friends are much more important to me than money.

If possible, I reason with the person; try to find out what their problem is with me, and resolve it. I will not start a fight, but if one is started for me, I will end it.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 15:42      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

There are a few people that I was too proud to apologise to, but no missed oppurtunities or anything like that as far as I can think.

Well, I have the odd 'practical joke war' from time to time. I don't think I'd ever burn down someone's house or anything, though.

I think I could forgive my SO, but I'd imagine that I'd be haunted by visions of them together, which might spoil my relationship.

I think I'd keep the secret... though I haven't been very good at that even when I wouldn't gain anything. Still, I think I could do it.

I'd never initiate the violence, but I do sometimes find myself hoping that they did hit me so that I'd have a reason to hit them back. Same when I'm driving and someone's too close behind me... I'd just like to smile at them as I get out of the car to inspect the damage.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 19:51      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I would have told my Uncle John that I loved him before he passed away (the day I left for Iraq)

I always get mine

My Fiance cheated on me when we first started dating. That man is living in mexico now. I forgave her and two years later she gave me her hand.

Keep the secret.

I have never attacked first, and I will never. If confronted I will use an escelation of force. I attempt to restrain and as a last resort I will eliminate the threat.

Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 22:50      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have really bad breath and need to see a dentist.

Living well is the best revenge. I sometimes take pleasure in the misery of those that have wronged me - but not usually.

We made a vow. She Icepicks me in my sleep. I pop her with a .45. We will never be able to get back together in this life.

It's in the vault. (the secret not the cash)

I confront people straight away. I do it nicely but if they become a jerk I will kick their butt. I have resorted to violence just by them using "fighting words". I only walk away if my wife and/or child might be endangered by my not walking away.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 03:58      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this would never have been possible, given that I was a month old when my auntie died... but if I could go back in time, I'd tell her that getting married to that bastard would be the biggest mistake of her life, and that she should run away and never look back.

Nah, I've never really done revenge. Wouldn't rule it out, though.

I'd get rid of them. That's not something I think I could forgive, and I'm worth more than that.

Keep the secret. If I took that money, it would never go any way towards making me happy.

If it's an argument, I'll rise to it, get angry, have it out... I can't bear it when people bottle things up and smother you with passive aggressiveness. If it was a physical fight, I would never be the first one to raise my fists (er, or sharpen my nails and pull some hair), but I would defend myself as well as I could.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 11:40      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. If you could say 1 things to 1 person from your past, that you cannot say anymore, or would never say to their face, what would it be?
There are a handful of people with whom I've had very close friendships who've just vanished when something better, like an insignificant other or a new group of friends, came along. I think I'd corner them and ask them why they even bothered, and give them a nice talk on the concept of "bros before hos."

I usually sit back and let their own poor decision-making skills catch up with them, because revenge is better when it involves no actual effort on your part. I've managed to engineer my social circles to catch people in lies, in the most publically humiliating spectacle possible, a number of times, though.

If they were conscious of the decision when they did it, then it's over, period. I've learned from this mistake. Drunken one-night stands are acceptable once, provided that they own up to it swiftly, show appropriate regret, used a condom, and are immediately tested for STDs as well. I'm not catching any diseases, dating somebody's "babydaddy," or becoming the Other Woman if I have any say in the matter.

If it's a secret that would be damaging to them or somebody they cared about if it got out, then no, I wouldn't. If it was going to be contained within that small circle of people paying me and not leaked to the public, I'd have to give it some consideration. If it's damaging to somebody that both my friend and I dislike, expect to see it screaming across every newspaper headline this side of the Gamma Quadrant. [Big Grin]

I tend to get very chilly and analytical when angered; despite what you forum-goers might think, my temper does not run hot and fast. If somebody throws the first punch, no matter who it is, then all hell breaks loose. I generally don't hit first, though; I find that I can do a lot of damage with words, with less worry about getting my teeth knocked in.

SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 16:08      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I will probably try and get some truth out of my ex-boyfriend. I just need to know.

I sometimes feel vengeful, but I normally deal with that by complaining to someone about it, and explain how I am going to skin and quarter that said person and take my satisfaction in that!

I will have to forgive them.

Well, that depends what kind of secret. If it something shameful, then no. If it something like he/she has discovered something blacker than black (as suggested from the question!) then of course I would share it. Or something. Basically as long as it doesn't hurt them in anyway. If it does, then the secret stays with me. I've had my share of betrayals and I've learned that a secret is only a secret if it stays inside.

For some reason, no matter where I go I seem to have at least one person disliking me and it all grows into some sort of rivalry. I normally just vent it out by telling someone trusted. I've never had to resort to violence to anything, and I don't plan to. If he/she hit me, I will probably do my best to defend myself until I can get free and tell someone. Afterall, that puts me in a better position than the attacker!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 16:23      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

To an old girlfriend who wanted (legitimately) to dump me, but really fscked up the breakup: Why are so fscking stupid? And, even though I saw your stupidity throughout the entire relationship, why did I just ignore it?

I'm very confrontational, if I have a problem with someone they'll know about it. If they've done something to me that warrants revenge, then I will just be an asshole to them- no behind the back plots or lying, just straight-up being a douchebag.

Like Grummy, I am tempted to say 'over', but the situation may warrant a slightly different reaction.

I would definitely become angry, though.

Keep the secret, hands down. My best friend has been that way since middle school, and besides, I'll have my own $1.00E9 soon enough.

I will not hesitate to respond with violence if the other party is violent against me; however, I am a very big guy (6'4.5-5'', depending on the time of day, at 300 lbs), and I'm pretty strong, and I know a thing or two about fighting. I learned early on the responsibility that comes with being able to pwn another human being. Besides, I'm pretty good at de-escalating situations, so I will always resort to negotiations first.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2006 07:09      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took me some time to think the answers out.

I need to cheat here. I don't have any major wrongs to right, and I'm pretty sure nothing I could say could make things better. But I'd like to tell the child I was to stop trying to please everyone, and rather try to find what really pleases me, so I can enjoy life. Being a "good girl" only gets you last in line.

I used to wish for revenge. Now I know better. I still have some occasions where I wish I was better with words when my feelings are hurt, but that doesn't really count. No, I've understood that if people want to drive me down/fool me around, they're not worth spending any more minute. I have my life to live.

It depends. I he cheated me because he likes to fool around, it's "open the door, darling, cause you'll get hurt getting out if you don't." If it's because there's something he can't find with me, I would probably go "I wish you'd told me. Can we talk it through, or should we part our ways?"

Again, it depends. If it's about a criminal act, I'd give him/her up (and probably donate the money). Sometimes, people needs to face the consequences of their actions, no matter how much you love them. If it's just a secret that could be sold to the media, well, I have a security level to hold to! [Wink]

When the conflict is one of personnality, I will usually just walk away, even if that makes them believe they've won. I don't really care about that what they would think anyway. Again, I'd rather spend my time on things I like rather than arguing with people not worth my time. If it's a physical conflict, I can sum it up this way: "I am no victim." I will defend myself if I have to, even though I know I am pretty slow, weak, and I only have a basic self-denfence course - wich means nothing if the attacker knows what s/he's doing. When it becomes ugly, it's all about attitude. "Never surrender" is not only an 80's song: it's about depriving your opponent of the superiority feeling they have a thirst for.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 10:21      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great set of questions! I'll have to play hookie more often. [Smile]

I think it would be to apologize to some people. Sometimes I am not as big a person as I would like to be.

I don't get revenge as I am not much of a plotter. There are people I've wanted to get even with, but it usually passes before an elaborate plan evolves

It would depend on the circumstances and the person. I think a one night stand might be easier for me to forgive than a long term affair. With a long term affair it is so much more than the infidility to get over.

I wouldn't do it for money, but must admit that I have blown keeping secrets. I do agree that the money would feel tainted.

I don't handle conflict well. I think if they attacked me and I might strike back to get away.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 10:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figure since I made the questions, I should probably answer them.

"I didn't for a second mean what I said."

I used to be one for getting revenge, but lately, I've taken great solace in watching karma beat the ever living piss out of those that deserved it. So I've learned to just go, "they'll get theirs".

However, in jest, when I was very young (like 6 years old), my Dad squirted Plax (like Listerine) up my nose as a joke, when I asked to smell it.

That day I swore I'd get him back when he least expected it it, and to this day, I still plan on getting him back. How or when, I'm not sure yet.

Over. End of case. Next?

Many people here have said they wouldn't do it, but somehow, I think if the money was put in front of them, they might change.

I'd have to say there's a very good chance I'd spill it.

I'm never the antagoniser -- OK, maybe that's a bad choice of words, I'm often the antagoniser, but I won't throw the first punch, but if you come after me, or those close to me, expect to get your ass handed to you -- unless of course, you're stronger than I am, in which case, I expect I'll receive a beating.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 11:45      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bite me.

Not often, but sometimes it's just required. It's never elaborate. I have a lovely prank that needs to be played on my boss. He definitely deserves it.

It's over.

Keep the secret.

I stay rational and usually find a very weasly way to neutralize their anger with minimal compromise on my part. If they initiate violence I'll respond with violence, but the only times that has ever happened it was in a rather playful context and no one got hurt (either because we both knew what we were doing or because I maintained control). I've got a long fuse without much bang at the end so I rarely end up in conflicts with anyone.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bifurcati
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 20:42      Profile for Bifurcati   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool questions!

I would apologise to someone who I treated, I'm ashamed to say, rather badly, simply by neglecting our friendship a few years ago. I would very much like the chance to apologise to them.

Not like, I would blow up their house, but I certainly wouldn't be forgiving if I was in a position to inflict...justice...

I think I could forgive her - I could perhaps understand why she did it, if she explained it to me. But at the same time I don't think I'd be able to forget it, and I think that if it continued, our relationship would be changed in some fundamental way - the trust that it was built on would be, if not gone then seriously depleted. I'm not sure if I'd be able to look back on the relationship in the same positive way, and, well, it might not last.

I would have to say I would keep the secret, unless it was something where I thought I had a moral responsibility to reveal it.

5. How do you normally handle conflict with another person? Will you resort to violence if they attack? Will you walk away?,

If they attacked, I would definitely attack back. Not just defend, but attack, and probably not proportional response, either. Certainly, if someone came at me with a knife, and I believed that their intent was to kill me or injure me, I wouldn't just try and dodge. I would be looking for a way of disarming them, and probably disabling them too. That's something I never understand in the movies - if someone was chasing me with intent to kill and I manage to knock them down or trip them, I wouldn't just turn and run - I would grab their knife and, if not stab them, slash the tendons in their legs to limit their mobility. I ain't leavin' no-one behind to follow me!

Incidentally, at the risk of advertising, I run a blog which posts questions much like these a few times a week, and people have the opportunity to vote and comment. So if you like this kind of thing, check out The Dividing Line.

--------------------
---

http://www.illuminatingscience.org/

Posts: 13 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture