homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The Pros And Cons Of Wearing Glasses (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Pros And Cons Of Wearing Glasses
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 08:59      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wifes eyes are whacky and she only wears glasses driving at night or on the computer. She is so cute when she has them on. But she's cute naked, too.

I wear glasses to see far away and I'm cute if you get far enough away.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 09:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chesty: First good laugh I've had today.

Good job.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 12:23      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
While my vision is better than 20/20 as far as reading from a distance goes, I had eye operations when I was very young to repair lazy nerves.

Lazy eye? I had that as a young'un. Optometrist had my parents put a patch on my strong eye for eight hours a day in an attempt to strengthen the lazy one. I think that lasted about two weeks before they went back and said, "screw it, give the damn kid some glasses". I guess kindergarteners don't like to have half their vision gone ...

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 12:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
quote:
While my vision is better than 20/20 as far as reading from a distance goes, I had eye operations when I was very young to repair lazy nerves.

Lazy eye? I had that as a young'un. Optometrist had my parents put a patch on my strong eye for eight hours a day in an attempt to strengthen the lazy one. I think that lasted about two weeks before they went back and said, "screw it, give the damn kid some glasses". I guess kindergarteners don't like to have half their vision gone ...
I had surgery on both of my eyes for it.

I don't know the details -- I was too young to remember, really.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 15:15      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Me, I had both the eye operation and the patches (my eyeballs were incredibly screwed up when I was tiny), so I look like a very young pirate in a lot of early pictures. [Big Grin] (It didn't completely work -- my left eye still does most of the work, but at least my right eye is straight and I can see out of it.) After the patch came off, glasses.

So, I've never minded wearing glasses, probably because I'm just so used to them by now. I may try contacts someday, but it'll be a loooong time before I'm comfortable with something so close to my eyeball.

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 16:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Me too. Twice. All I remember is the darkness of the recovery room. I'm not sure it was one eye or both. No patches though. The correction didn't really work as well as they'd hoped, but they won't try again for fear of screwing me up completely. Which is fine by me.

For some reaosn my mom was really hoping lazy eye would make me incompatible with contacts. I have no idea why she thought this would be possible. It's not as if my eyes turned THAT badly.

I think there may have been a grape popsicle involved after one of the surgeries. I definitely remember a dark room and a grape popsicle and a sticker. I didn't get glasses until much, much later, when the near-sightedness kicked in.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 16:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
I definitely remember a dark room and a grape popsicle and a sticker.

I had a nightmare that started that way...

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 7 posted March 21, 2006 16:20      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love wearing glasses, and I like contacts, too.

Glasses let me express differents styles and moods. Plus they can protect my eyes.

I have a pair of trendy "granny" style glasses. That sounds like an oxymoron, but it's not. They have clip-on sunglasses, too, for a John Lennon-like effect. I think they express my true-me. They are oval and match the shape of my bald head. When I wear them I wear my "old school" Ivy-style cap and look like a sporting gent.

Then there are my extremely hip-and-trendy wrap-around glasses. They have a wrap-around temple/brow with no frame on the sides and botttom of the lenses.They are right for hanging with my buddies in the super hip-and-trendy set. Mostly my buddies are gag writers in la-la land, who tour the chuckle-hut circuit. I don't tour any more, but it's cool to catch up and see them. And when I do, I dress accordingly. With these glasses I can wear my Ivy hat backwards, like a beret. My buddies know I'm putting them on and they are in on the joke.

I have a pair of old Bolle' glacier glasses -- the kind with the leather sides. The lenses have a very dark lenses and a 10% reflective coating. They don't have the "ya oughta grow a mullet" mirror look. But the lenses keep enough light and UV out that I can comfortably ride my motorcycle in the desert, or along the lake all day. The temples broke a couple a few years back, so I slipped a pari of "Croakies" on them, and they make great biker goggles.

I love putting these glasses on, pulling a bandana over the smooth bald dome (95% natural and 5% razor), putting on a vest or jacket on and heading out on the road.

I have contacts I wear when I play basketball, shoot pool, go on stage or want to flirt.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
IScareWittyCommentsAway
Geek Larva
Member # 4878

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 20:33      Profile for IScareWittyCommentsAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm shocked!
My topic on glasses has grown...but I'm not complaining! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Wake up kids, we've got the dreamers disease" -New Radicals from the song "you get what you give"

Posts: 20 | From: East Coast | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 01:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Me too.
Me three.

Sounds like the 'lazy eye' gene may be closely linked with the 'geek' gene.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 00:08      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had this thing where the vision dosent converge and so the picture becomes blurred. the guy said i had slightly lazy eyes and just gave me these exercises to do with a pencil and some lines on paper to get them right. They were better within the week.

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture