homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » a

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 15:46      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 13:43      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay you! Our university doesn't have any courses on robotics... So, IEEE-CS is trying to put on a seminar and sell kits for basic little servo bots controlled by BasicStamps... That is, if I ever get the Org to agree to spend the money (We'll make it back, there isn't a doubt about it).

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 13:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh. Robotics. I want those hundreds of hours of my life back! [Wink]

Sorry, dude. They're very cool to play with, but they can be extraordinarily aggravating when they just won't do what you program them to do. Still, my little Rug Warrior kicked ass in a game of robotic tag. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] The Aibo was a serious PITA to work with, though. I've seen Basic Stamps, but never programmed them - they seem pretty cool. My alma mater is starting to fiddle more with the CMU Palm bots - but so far, they've been mainly worked on by my advisor. A friend of mine wrote his thesis with it, though - 'twas quite cool, he made a simple Bayesian neural net to learn paths on a grid.

I'll take textual parsing and munging with Perl any day of the week, though. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2005 14:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that someone else has been the first to run through the thread... congratulations!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 00:43      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 03:33      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! And now, you need to check out the best bit of the web on robotics: Space Robot Bonanza .
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 07:29      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
might interest you folk, even though the high schoolers are the ones that do the building, they still need a lot of "mentor" support (helping design, test, program, build, etc)

Dean Kamen's US First Robotics Program;

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture