homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » a

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 08:33      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 10:50      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is one willing to do something they know will cause pain for themselves, in hopes that the pain has signs of improving?
I enjoy tattoo's because of the pain and the art and the beauty is painful.

Why exactly are we all here?
I am here to live. I live for the end and in every end there is a new begining just as every door is an exit to one place and an entrance to another.

What makes life worth it to you?
To see those that I love smile.

Why is it that some people live, just to be alive, instead of enjoying it?
What would you rather them do? Suicide?

When is the time that all will be over, and yet, all will begin?
Everyday something ends and something else begins.

Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 13:52      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 16:55      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once had a teacher tell me about a test he once had in college. After three nights of tons of studying for the final he saw the exam. There was one question:

1. Why?

They had three hours to complete, one person was done in a second and walked up. Everyone else, including the teacher wrote pages and pages for this question. My teacher got a C, only one person got an A, the person who took a minute. This was his answer:

Because.

Though I believe another appropriate answer could be "Why Not?"

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 20:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
I once had a teacher tell me about a test he once had in college. After three nights of tons of studying for the final he saw the exam. There was one question:

1. Why?

Left Field.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 21:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kinguy:

Everything, both the pleasure and the pain.

As far as withstanding pain goes, well, I have yet to visit a summit that wasn't worth the agony of getting up there. This includes the peaks I topped out on in white-out conditions.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 10:01      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pain...

Try running 17 miles in body armor.

It was worth it though! Every step of the journey...It was worth it.

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 12:12      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

1. Why?

Left Field.
My response would have been:

Tuesday.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 12:39      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Alfrin:
quote:

1. Why?

As the late great Satchmo said (when asked "What is jazz?") ....."If you've got to ask, you'll never know". [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CloneArmyCommander
Geek
Member # 4665

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 18:18      Profile for CloneArmyCommander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why is one willing to do something they know will cause pain for themselves, in hopes that the pain has signs of improving?

I will answers these myself, after I go to sleep (I am tired).

Disclaimer:
Wonderments are not guaranteed to be interesting.

1. Hmmmmm. . . . It wasn't specified that it had to be physical pain. I don't have a high tolernce for that [Wink] . Though, I could see it from an angle of emotional pain. Sticking with a friend or loved one who seems to be going down a bad path, and hoping that they will turn things around because you know deep down that the person you used to know is still somewhere in there.

2. We are all here for our own purpose, to pursue our own destiny. This one is very personal and individual [Wink] .

3. What makes life worth living. . . .
* Seeing the look in my sweethearts eyes, and knowing she is so deeply in love with me.
* Being surrounded by family and loved ones who are behind me 100%.
* The thrill of not knowing what the future holds, but still having those hopes and dreams of what you want out of life.

Take your pick [Big Grin] .

4. I think it depends on your definition of living. Sure, there are people who you look at and wonder why they just sit on the sidelines and wonder why they aren't in the game. They just haven't waken up yet [Wink] . They feel they are living life, but don't realize exactly what it has to offer.

5. It will all end in 5 years, 2 months, 6 days, 5 hours, 26 minutes, and 3.1415926535897932384626433832795 seconds [Wink] . Hahahaha [Big Grin] .

Seriously, I don't think any of us really hold that answer. You have to live for each day, as if it will be the last [Wink] .

And yet it will all begin once you move on through to the other side [Wink] .

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 18:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why is one willing to do something they know will cause pain for themselves

Where's Zorro when you need him?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 18:42      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Why is one willing to do something they know will cause pain for themselves

Where's Zorro when you need him?
In the bathroom, he'll be right out.

--------------------

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 20:36      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

1. Why?

They had three hours to complete, one person was done in a second and walked up. Everyone else, including the teacher wrote pages and pages for this question. My teacher got a C, only one person got an A, the person who took a minute. This was his answer:

Because.

I had ateacher in middle school who had the same exam when he was in college. It was a phil. class. He told me he got a "B+" for "because"; and, when he protested the professor told him the "A" answer was "Why not?" because a philosopher never stops questioning.

Afrin, your not talking about Mr. Zagar are you? ??? Or is this just a "coincidence."

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 21:07      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
quote:

1. Why?

Because.

I had ateacher in middle school who had the same exam when he was in college. It was a phil. class. He told me he got a "B+" for "because"; and, when he protested the professor told him the "A" answer was "Why not?" because a philosopher never stops questioning.

Afrin, your not talking about Mr. Zagar are you? ??? Or is this just a "coincidence."

No, his name was Mr. Richards, so it's just a coincidence. Then it looks like I would have gotten an A in that exam. College, here I come.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 21:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a similar note, I heard about an exam where the single question was "What is the bravest thing you've ever done?"
The top mark went to the student who answered "This is it".

I suspect they're urban legends, but snopes is unable to give a firm answer.

--------------------

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 21:19      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your talking about stuggling through an illness, bad relationship or even just physical endurance... I think the reason most people have is the same, that there is something that is learned, or gained by the experince.

The first one, I see as a no brainer. We are here for some reason; and, by nad large our programming says to keep fighting for survival. I don't know why this is ingrained so deeply, why we have been programmed in this way... But I know that if I had a terrible illness, and my chances were slim, I'd fight to the last moment for ever second. Things that I'd miss out on otherwise would be enough reason.

With relationships, getting through a rough spot can make the relationship healthier.

That said...

There is a difference between wisdom, knowledge and intelligence. Intelligence is the ability to figure something out using reasoning "Wow, that blade comes to an extream tip, and is made of a very hard metal. I'll bet it's sharp." Knowledge is simply the having of knowledge "The knife is really sharp. Sharp knives can cut you." And wisdom is applying knowledge, "It isn't a good idea to plunge this knife into my chest, as it would hurt and could kill me."

With relationships there may come a time that for your mental, emotional or physical well being you give up on trying to fix [the relationship|them (which you can't do)] and end it. When the heart is involved we apt to shut our eyes to the warning signs and listen to song siren untill she transforms us into beasts.

With physical endurance -- there are two kinds of limits. Real and imagined. After working past an imaged barrier, when your body is working harder than it has before, your in pain. The pain says that there are micro tears forming in your muscles and those micro tears will help the muscles grow. It's a "good" kind of pain. However, overdoing it: over extending a streach, over exerting your muscles or causing a tear -- well, that's the bad kind kind of pain... Real bad.

Because if we weren't, where else would we be?
We're here, deal with it. [Wink]

What makes the alternitive worth it?

Really, though, it's life. The moments that I over come a limitation, the moments where I solve a riddle and the answer becomes so obvious, the moments that I spend with those that I care about, the moments that I realize that it's just life and there's no use in taking it very serously. The sunsets, the even star scapes, the skyline, the fresh cool breeze on a hot summer day, a hot cup of coca on a cold winters night. The look in the eyes of a loved one that lets you know just how much they really care. The sound of an old friends voice, the wisper of wind russling the leaves of willow as you sit by a river reading (especially because you snuck away from everything you should be doing to just get away), the sound of the oboe giving the stings an "A (440)" and the sound of the orchestra falling into unison, the moment of silence after a peice is finished, but before the applause where you still hear a faint echo of the final chord in your minds eye and you can feel your heart stalling a beat for the moment to pass before it dare beat (for it doesn't want to ruin the perfection that is that moment). The moment you hit "I Feeling Lucky" and actually get the exsact site you were thinking of. The moment when you realize that your "past the point of no return," you can feel the anticipation of the on comming kiss, you can feel the soft breath of the person you love, you can feel the world arround you fall away; and, if you don't kiss now, you'll go insane and it'll haunt you ("better then the memory, better than the deed itself, is the anticipation").

... to name a few.

Perhaps that is what makes them happy... Perhaps they are happy to "just" be alive... Perhaps they don't know what it means to be alive... Perhaps they know something we don't. Don't know, don't care. All I know is that I'm going to Carpe' Geekium.

The tweens. 2400, 12:00, new years... Every single second. This second is the last second of your entire life before it, and the first second of the whole life ahead of you.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 21:35      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture