homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Not my usual self.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not my usual self.
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 21:46      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not my usual self at all today.

I had a driving lesson and stalled the car countless times (I can't drive a manual but am trying to learn). And then I go to run some errands but the next thing you know i'm chatting up the (admittedly hot) checkout boi and flirting with a couple of guys on a street corner. Hot weather has that effect on me.

I've also got addicted to lip gloss.

It's just not right, all of it. I hate cars, I don't like bois eyeing me up and i'm not a girly girl, but today, it's all backwards. I guess sometimes we all need a change.

Posts: 42 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 22:11      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you had fun. I hope you have more fun days. Why fret, why not relax and enjoy?
Posts: 766 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 23:34      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sereshima -

You had fun, that's all - don't fight it. [Smile]

And stick with the driving practice, manual transmission cars are much more fun to drive than an automatics.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 01:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ct is offering driving lessons [Wink]
</troll>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 05:56      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always said that a girl has the option of changing her mind. So today you did and had fun!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 10:02      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let ct get near your car. Otherwise don't worry.

How are your lessons on driving a stick going? I know it's a little more work, but once you get used to it it's really not that hard. Plus then you get to have a lot more fun. I know I really enjoy driving manual transmissions (well, not so much my boss's truck as the 914, but I'm sure the 914 would be shitty driving as an automatic. Damn, now I gotta go wash out my head for even imagining such blasphemous words.)

So, stick with the lessons, you'll get it eventually. And good luck.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2005 10:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being able to drive a manual transmission will certainly help you in the end.

You'll have a friend who'll want you to drive their car for them some day because they hurt themselves or something, and it'll be manual.

The particular model of my car doesn't come with any transmission other than a 6-speed manual. You'd have to go down a model to get a 4-speed (maybe 5? I don't remember) automatic. And I can't imagine my car with that.. it's just so much FUN to drive with the 6.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2005 02:15      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was Ok at first, I was getting the hang of the clutch and finding the slipzone. Bear in mind this is the first time i've ever driven a manual car. Then regression towards the mean took over and I kept stalling the car. It was a 5 speed manual transmission car. I can't remeber what make or model. The driving instructor said I was useless, which was not very encouraging.

I don't believe that, maybe I should just try a different instructor?

None of my friends have cars these days.

Posts: 42 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2005 03:12      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The driving instructor said I was useless, which was not very encouraging.
If he really said that to you, then it is him that's useless. Dump him and get a new instructor straight away. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2005 07:34      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by serishema:
I don't believe that, maybe I should just try a different instructor?

Or do what I did: do it yourself!

I already knew how to drive with an automatic transmission, so I took a used car for a test drive. I understood the concept of what I was doing with the extra controls, so it was a matter of integrating the new with the old. Granted, the extra coordination didn't come right away, but the results are worth it. I enjoy manual transmissions in cars much more than automatics because I feel more connected to the machinery.

It turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. I was SCCA autocross state champion in my car class for three years in a row! [Big Grin]

But, if you don't want to suss it out by yourself, you do need to replace your instructor.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture