homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » insomnia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: insomnia
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 03:55      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing a lot of us geeks have chronic insomnia. I can't sleep at 1am yet again even though I was up at 5:30 this morning.

Nothing seems to help and now that i'm on anti depressants it's even worse.

Posts: 42 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 04:55      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure that I have insomnia as a proper medical condition, but my sleep patterns are very irregular. Sometimes I won't be able to get to sleep until 0530, even though I know that I have to get up in three hours' time (in fact, that seems to make it much worse). Other times, I'll need to sleep at 2000 and won't wake up until 1200.

But it probably averages out in the end. I just hope I'm not causing any potential medical problems for myself.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 08:20      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried aromatherapy? Whenever I had trouble sleeping, I would just burn some lavender essence oils- sends me to sleep almost instantly!

If you'd rather not burn a candle while you sleep, you can try having some dairy products before you go to bed. Cheese and milk work very well in inducing sleep hormones.

I hate insomnia- I hope you can remedy it!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 09:04      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by serishema:
I'm guessing a lot of us geeks have chronic insomnia. I can't sleep at 1am yet again even though I was up at 5:30 this morning.

Nothing seems to help and now that i'm on anti depressants it's even worse.

serishema,

If I may ask, what are you taking? And also, have you tried other meds?

I have always been wary of meds. They never had the desired effect on me and the side-effects were usually worse than the initial problem.

Insomnia, sexual issues, listlessness, nervousness. Yay! I am not depressed, but I am a fsck'd up mess of bad shakes and habits. Yeah screw that. I'll take the mood swings.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2473 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 10:51      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleep issues are frustrating.

Here and here are two (hopefully) helpful links from medically reliable sources.

Most sleep problems can be solved (without medications) by following good sleep hygiene.

If your problems persist, you should see a health professional. Hope you get some better sleep soon.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 12:05      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work 20 hours a day on average. Sometimes I work about 2 or 3 days straight and sleep for about 8 hours to catch up.

Sleep is over-rated.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 15:22      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleep patterns change as you get older. I now need much less sleep than I used to in my twenties. A lot of people worry about this, but it makes more sense to accept it, as the actual worrying can often actually be the main problem.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
klutziedudette
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4551

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 15:41      Profile for klutziedudette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chronic insomnia: thats what I am. I did't get to sleep until like 4:30 am in the morning. [Eek!] [crazy] But I've been like this my whole life so...
Posts: 4 | From: A Soda Can | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 16:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to the other suggests, you might check with your doctor and see if it's okay to alter the time you take your medications. Sometimes taking them earlier or later can have an effect on your ability to sleep.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 04:02      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on citalopram. I take my meds in the morning, taking them in the evening makes things even worse.

I've tried other meds, but citalopram is the only one that agreed with me. I tried prozac and it made me throw up which suggested my body didn't want it, so i went back to the doctor and then they had me try Aropax, which made me go semi crazy, so now i'm on citalopram and things have been fine apart from that.

I suspect i might be having too much caffine. It's pretty normal for me to drink 5 or 6 cups of coffee, sometimes I drink V as well as thing which is an guranna energy drink which has loads more caffine in it.

So maybe i'll try cutting down on the coffee.

YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 04:57      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Cutting back on the coffee might be a good idea. Maybe some nice green tea? There is some from stash tea co. that is wonderfull. White Pearl (If I am remembering correctly)

Maybe your doctor can tweak your meds again. I can't/don't take the meds I need, because it interferes with my job, and it interferes with me being me. But then again I can function without them, some cant. The lows are low, but I would rather be employed and feeling, than having the side effects.

On a positive note, at least you are an insomniac in the age of home computing. Someone is always awake to talk with, and there is always something to do.

Posts: 766 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 05:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love coffee, but I cannot drink it after midday, or on an empty stomach. I would seriously suggest you try cutting it back, or even avoiding it completely. It does not make sense to take one drug to combat insomnia, and then ingest massive amounts of caffeine.

Who knows, you might find that if you drop the coffee, the other stuff might become unnecessary.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 07:37      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's sleep? I kind of forgot since I enlisted. Speaking of which, I woke up at 0530 yesterday for school, had watch qualifications so I didnt sleep until 0100, and had to go back in for colors and some other stuff this morning. I actually feel well rested. Hoo-yah. I don't work 20 hours a day on average, so I don;t have anything to complain about anyway. 6 hours of sleep is all I need.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 08:24      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNFM and I once talked about my weird sleeping patterns. My problem is the more I sleep the worse I feel. Let's say that 5 hours is a good amount of time for me to sleep. I wake up rather energized feeling good. If I get more, lets say, 8 hours of sleep I feel like crap, 10 hours and might as well go back to sleep and start the process over again. Now if I get 3-4 hours of sleep, well imagine a sugar-hyped kid after 20 Red Bulls.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 16:24      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, insomnia! I used to have a heroin-like addiction to Dr. Pepper. I never slept, and I didn't need to. Then my health started to decline so I gave up the sugar juice. To my surprise, I still don't sleep. So there went that theory. Not only that, I've only had one cup of coffee in my entire pathetic life. I still can't figure it out. I probably need an "off" switch for my brain.

I wonder how many insomniacs existed before electric light? The problem with technology is that it makes staying up too much fun. Who needs those wussy natural cycles, hm!?!??!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 18:05      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ambien.

Ask your physician about it.

Cut down on caffiene. Regular rigorous exercise can help reduce depression in some people and help cause the kind of fatigue that can make sleeping better.

Ambien. It's a different kind of sleeping pill. I had a somatic hallucination with it once. Which, after I found out what happened was OK

A somatic hallucination can be triggered by Ambien because parts of your mind go to sleep before others. You can actually start dreaming before your eyes are shut.

Not since Timothy L ...

Oh well.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 18:56      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
DNFM and I once talked about my weird sleeping patterns. My problem is the more I sleep the worse I feel. Let's say that 5 hours is a good amount of time for me to sleep. I wake up rather energized feeling good. If I get more, lets say, 8 hours of sleep I feel like crap, 10 hours and might as well go back to sleep and start the process over again.

I find the same to a cirtain degree. For a while i found if i got up at like 5:30 in the morning i felt less tired than if I got up later. If i slept in to even 8 i just felt stuffed and maybe as well have stayed in bed till 3pm.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 23:28      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by serishema:
I've tried other meds, but citalopram is the only one that agreed with me. I tried prozac and it made me throw up which suggested my body didn't want it, so i went back to the doctor and then they had me try Aropax, which made me go semi crazy, so now i'm on citalopram and things have been fine apart from that.

You seriously experienced the side effects of your meds? Wow. I've taken a bunch of stuff over the course of my lifetime (only in the last year have I started taking anti-depressants), but only once have I experienced any side effects (and that was due to taking it on an empty stomach). I always thought the inserts listing all the side effects were just to scare people into being super-cautious with their meds, but now I know real people actually do suffer those effects. It must be really rough trying to be on a med that helps you, but causes other problems while doing so. [Frown]

Citalopram... is that Celexa? I was on that for a few months, but it didn't really do anything for me, so I went to a different doctor at my practice having done my research the night before. I'm now on Welbutrin XL (once a day) and I'm really liking it. I don't mind the sexual side effects since I don't have sex anyway. [Razz] The only other side effect I've noticed is sometimes I'll get on this big energy/keep-busy kick where I feel like I have to get a lot of things done and almost before I'm finished with what I'm doing, the next thing is in my head and my brain starts planning how to do it. It's a very odd feeling, but it comes in handy when I have a bunch of stuff to do that I've just been procrastinating.

Speaking of which, the family who owns my house is coming home in four days. I need to clean before they get here. [ohwell]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 23:36      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't that Aropax had side effects, I think adverse reaction probably covers it better.

I pretty much turned into an evil mirror image of my normal self. I became really horrible to everyone telling everyone to go to hell because they'd find someone to replace me with anyway, became suicidal, and then I was taken off it and started having seizures. It's taken ages to recover from it. I still can't entirely remeber everything that happened when i was on it. At times i find out about another awful thing i did while on it, it's hard to forgive myself for it a lot of time.

I think it's left me with perminant damage. I still have slight shakes sort of like the seizures i'd have when first getting off it. I have to have an MRI scan soon to try and figure out what's happened to me.

I'm not epileptic and never had any of this happen before i took Aropax.

It can and does happen. I hope they ban it so no one else suffers the same fate.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2005 23:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of Aropax, but it certainly sounds scary! I'm hoping as time goes by you'll grow out of those adverse effects!

EDIT: Aropax is the New Zealand version of the US's Paxil. Generic is Paroxetine.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture