homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Missed Encounters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed Encounters
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 14:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have access to Maryland DMV's list of license plate owners?

When I stopped at the WaWa on Lincoln Highway East in Lancaster on Sunday evening, I pulled up behind a beatup white Volvo sporting a license plate bearing the letters "FREEBSD." What looked like a Jewish father and son (they were both wearing yarmulkes and the man pumping gas was quite a bit older than the young teenager), got in the car before I had the nerve to get out and go talk to them.

I'm now kicking myself for not being brave and talking with them. [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 14:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stalk much? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 15:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BSD is innocent, ok

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 15:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, I'm not seriously looking to track down their contact info. I'm just lamenting. I totally missed my chance to meet a live BSD user for the first time in my life. [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 15:54      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're nothing novel... just like linux users, except a lot more, ummm.... emphatic.

Take all the things you don't like about hard-core linux geeks, multiply by an order of magnitude, and you have a BSD nut.

Granted, BSD is far more stable and less bloated. That's why it's such a burly server OS, because it doesn't have all the extra stuff that a lot of hardware doesn't require, like linux does.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 07, 2005 15:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Netcraft confirmed it...BSD is dying...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 05:43      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Take all the things you don't like about hard-core linux geeks, multiply by an order of magnitude, and you have a BSD nut.

Granted, BSD is far more stable and less bloated. That's why it's such a burly server OS, because it doesn't have all the extra stuff that a lot of hardware doesn't require, like linux does.

You're obviously drinking the Kool-Aid, but I honestly can't tell what flavor.
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 07:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They're nothing novel... just like linux users, except a lot more, ummm.... emphatic.

You misspelled 'dumb'.

*grin*

<holy war />

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mister Boo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 09:08      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:

You're obviously drinking the Kool-Aid, but I honestly can't tell what flavor. [/QUOTE]

I, for one, welcome our new Kool-Aid drinking overlords!

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 12:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I can picture myself getting quite 'emphatic' with some of them [evil] (mildly NSFW)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 13:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose I should have known better, but let me just point out that the link above is mildly NSFW. (Or just probably not too 'shoulder surfing' friendly)

Oh, and not nearly as much so...but a realistic bout of fun [Big Grin] [evil]

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 18:02      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah. FreeBSD wants to be Linux. NetBSD wants to be RedHat Linux. OpenBSD is the way to go. If I saw a guy with an OPENBSD license plate, I'd probably follow him home.

I am a BSD user, you insensitive clods!

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 18:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me gets close to throwing out his NetBSD discs...

But...it runs everywhere!!!

/me closes desk drawer again...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture