homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » One-Year Anniversary or First Anniversary?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One-Year Anniversary or First Anniversary?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 16:24      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to know which is preferable: One-Year or First when describing Anniversary.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 16:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be careful never to describe it as a "last anniversary"

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 16:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's for an ad at work. People insist on requesting "one-year anniversary" which is rather redundant. "First anniversary" sounds better to my mind! Just wanted to see what were y'all's preferences.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 17:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh! So how'd that double post happen?! Horrors. [shake head]

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 17:07      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First Anniversay - definitely...

One year anniversary is a tautology by default..

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 8 posted October 11, 2005 20:34      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
again with the poll in main forum... [shake head]

that's sad, really

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 21:28      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. Sort of. It's okay. It really doesn't matter. I don't care.

Who gives a flyin' rat's arse about the stinking polls!? Get over it or ante up already!

-

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 00:15      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to pay up, but paypal is descended from Judas Iscariot and I am morally opposed to credit cards.!

solve this now.

First anniversary of course ( I can't vote, why is geekculture disenfranchising minorities [Frown] )

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 06:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
I would love to pay up, but paypal is descended from Judas Iscariot and I am morally opposed to credit cards.!

solve this now.

First anniversary of course ( I can't vote, why is geekculture disenfranchising minorities [Frown] )

My fiancee has and makes frequent use of a paypal account despite having no credit card.. you can link it to a bank account too..

Any more excuses? [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
jfw
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1923

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 06:52      Profile for jfw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:

solve this now.

Harrumph! I know from personal experience that Our Gracious Hosts accept personal checks.
Posts: 20 | From: Boxboro Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 07:48      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
again with the poll in main forum... [shake head]

that's sad, really

so is being a whinging freeloader
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 12, 2005 07:53      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a ton of options to sign up, as you can see on the sign up page. All manner of credit cards, PayPal, first borns (Thanks PB!), personal cheque, we will even take cash. (bills only please, no coins, unless they are really cool) [Big Grin]

Just to make it very clear, Nitro and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the generosity of SuperFans. Giving them the ability to create and use polls in the rest of the Forums is just one way we can thank them again for that.

Posts: 8112 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 08:31      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on now kids, play nice!

Whilst I don't really see the advantage of posting polls in the public forums, (I think that if you want non-superfans opinions on a topic, it would be better served with a question rather than a poll- you need to read the liters responses anyway) now we all know that us mere mortals cannot play with the big boys and it is easy to avoid clicking.

Can't we all just get along?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 10:15      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'First Anniversary' if there is the prospect of reaching, or the desire to reach, the Second Anniversary, otherwise just 'Anniversary' - the 'One-year' bit is redundant.

Just my opinion. FWIW.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2005 13:49      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just think it would sound silly to say "Five-year anniversary" or "twenty-year anniversary". So does one-year anniversary. I'd say first anniversary is the way to go. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture