homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » how languages do you talk, spoke, or write?? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: how languages do you talk, spoke, or write??
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 18:01      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.. A bit of Latin, English, Malay and Portuguese...

I can read very poorly Arabic (if its the simplified version with the vocal anottations)

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 18:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Tree:
How exactly do you speak "Marine?" In the Navy we just speak english with a lot more cussing.

It is really called military speak.

It is a cobbled together language of foreign words english curses and abreviations.

MRE's on a LAV anyone?

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 22:32            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from English, I know some German, having had three years of it in high school. If I watch a German-language program on local TV (say, something rebroadcast from Deutsche Welle or whatnot), I can get maybe one word in four. If I ever went there, though, I'd probably need some time with a Berlitz disc or something to refresh my memory.

Aside from that...I have that little knowledge of Spanish that anyone who's lived in Southern California acquires through osmosis. But that's about it.

Now Pamela, on the other hand, has been studying Turkish, and a little Arabic, because of all the friends she has over in that part of the world.

IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 02:22      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English, German, Esperanto and a lil' Japanese which I've picked up from anime

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 12:33      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, ok, I know what you mean now. Its talking with topic specific words. I never really considered that another language, but I guess you could make a case for that.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 12:51      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After English, I took million years of French. However this doesn't mean I can actually speak French. I would love to be able to learn other languages, but it is very hard for me. My brother picks up languages easily and doesn't appreciate this skill at all. [Frown]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 22:09      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
Before some of the meaner grammar police show up. Speak in proper sentences, capatalize things that should, and try and sound like you've completed English 9. This isn't a AOL chatroom LOLXD0wn3dBBQ a/sl wnt 2trad pix? type of place.

Given that the poster is a student from Chile (check their profile), the question is about speaking other languages, and their first-ever post asked about offering the pages in other languages, there might be another explanation for the less-than-perfect English. [Smile]
(Just as I'm sure there's a good reason why you didn't use a spellchecker. [Wink] )

~ Tech "Benefit of the Doubt" Angel

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 04:05      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I thought about everyone here already knew already, but for those who don't, I speak French and English, working on Russian, and I can make some sense out of Italian and Spanish. (And I know a few words in German and Japanese, but they don't really count.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 07:23      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly just English.

My french has gotten exponentially better since moving to Ottawa, and I could probably get by with it now, but it's still brutal.

That's it. I'd love to be fluent in French and Japanese, too, though.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 07:38      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topic: how languages do you talk, spoke, or write??

This looks suspiciously akin to mid-1960's Cowboy-to-Indian Speak, a language that I can manage reasonably well on a good day.

Other than that I continue to plod along with my native tongue, Midwestern US clod perversion of what was once called "English" and the remnants of what Latin I learned 40+ years back.

In summary, my answer to your topical question is:

<Holds up two and one-half fingers>  -

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 08:23      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English-English (native), French (not well), German (badly), Italian (hardly), Japanese (numbers 1-10)

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 08:59      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neice can speak Govan: "Gin awa' doon the toon n git mi a bottle o thon ginger, n dinnae hing aboot neither."

(Ah, one is minded of that bit in The Acid House movie - 'Twenty F**kin' regal, c**t!'... )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 09:34      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
My neice can speak Govan: "Gin awa' doon the toon n git mi a bottle o thon ginger, n dinnae hing aboot neither."

(Ah, one is minded of that bit in The Acid House movie - 'Twenty F**kin' regal, c**t!'... )

So she's Irish then?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 12:06      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English is my first language, and I have a working knowledge of French, Spanish, and Gaidhlig.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
tree
Newbie Larva
Member # 4471

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 14:51      Profile for tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm chilli

--------------------
tree

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture