homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » how languages do you talk, spoke, or write?? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: how languages do you talk, spoke, or write??
emcisquareisequaltoenergy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4459

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted October 07, 2005 22:40      Profile for emcisquareisequaltoenergy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how languages do u talk? ???? [crazy]
Posts: 4 | From: Chile | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 22:47      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
umm, what? English, I think.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 22:56      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I don't think our friend here even speaks that one.
Here:
Me speak EnglishSpanish Latin. Pretty goodly [Wink]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
emcisquareisequaltoenergy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4459

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 22:58      Profile for emcisquareisequaltoenergy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i speak spanish, english, portugues.
Posts: 4 | From: Chile | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2005 23:02      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before some of the meaner grammar police show up. Speak in proper sentences, capatalize things that should, and try and sound like you've completed English 9. This isn't a AOL chatroom LOLXD0wn3dBBQ a/sl wnt 2trad pix? type of place.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 01:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English, and enough Spanish to get myself out of trouble, but not enough to have a comfortable conversation.

I can count to 20 and buy a train ticket in 4 or 5 others.

(I really liked Chile btw - welcome mc^2)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 05:47      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi e=mcsquared

English, "holiday German" and I'm trying to learn Hindi.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 06:35      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just English and German. Ohh, and Geek according to some of my friends, does that count?

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 09:58      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I speak English, Spanish, Cantonese and a bit of Mandarin. Also bits of Danish.

I can write in English, Spanish and some primitive Chinese.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 11:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I speak English fluently, though some might disagree about that at times. [Razz]

Spanish: Hablo poco español. [Razz] (OTOH, I can read it reasonably well.)

I am functionally illiterate in Japanese, but understand a *smattering* of it.

I can make heads or tails of written German, for the sake of sifting through tech documents (that's one of the main reasons I want to learn it).

I'm pretty well versed in Perl. [Big Grin]

On a related note, I'm actually quite decent at pattern matching, so I can generally find what I'm looking for even if I don't actually know the language in question. I said that I'm functionally illiterate in Japanese, but...I'm pretty damn proud of myself for actually finding something successfully with google.co.jp...
[ query | success! ]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 12:11      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
how languages do u talk? ????
Nice... This may not be your first language. [Big Grin]

I speak English as my second and Spanish as a first. I can probably understand Portuguese and Italian if some one spoke to me in either and of course I would respond in Spanish. [Razz]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 12:29      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not very good at learning languages, but I have worked at Spanish and Classical Greek.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 13:07      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
私は日本語を話ます。

Well, not much... but a little...

También, hablo español. ¡Es cierto! ¡Soy un gallo grande!
...Et un peu Français. Oui! Je suis un grand poulet!
...And a little bit of Arabic, but I haven't yet learned how to type it into a forum.
Ja, und Ich bin ein grosse kartofelsalat!

And I'm still working on the Middle English:

"Thus swyved was this carpenteris wyf,
For al his kepyng and his jalousye;
And Absolon hath kist hir nether ye;
And Nicholas is scalded in the towte.
This tale is doon, and God save al the rowte!"

Thazz all.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 17:21      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:

[Eek!] ewomack, how dare you post such filth!

[Big Grin]

I know Spanish the way most people know Latin: I know how to read it, but writing/speaking/understanding is out of the question. I would like to learn Hungarian, don't ask me why.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 17:46      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ich spreche nur Englisch und ein Biscien Deutsch.

Wow, I'm fairly certain I screwed that up somehow. Ah well, I'm only in German II, so I have an excuse.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 17:50      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
English is my 2nd language, I speak Python fluently however. [Wink] I spent the last week learning Ruby, I also understand a wee bit of Java, and can converse in at least a rudimentary level in PHP.

Seriously, my coworker and I go around the office speaking figuratively in Python... [Razz]

Spiderman.finished(true)

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 19:30      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:

[Eek!] ewomack, how dare you post such filth!

[Big Grin]

I know Spanish the way most people know Latin: I know how to read it, but writing/speaking/understanding is out of the question. I would like to learn Hungarian, don't ask me why.

And I know Latin the way most people know Spanish, I can speak it, read it, and write it decently

--------------------

The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 20:10      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I speak American English and un peu francais aussi. That pretty much means I can order food and insult your mother.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 20:24      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I speak "CAlli boy" "Marine" and "Geek".
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2005 20:41      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only talk 'merican.
Posts: 796 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 14:39      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
I know Latin the way most people know Spanish, I can speak it, read it, and write it decently

Me too [Smile] . I also speak/write English (obviously), Ancient Greek, Urdu/Hindi, Punjabi and French.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 15:08      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And I know Latin the way most people know Spanish, I can speak it, read it, and write it decently

Why is that? Are you studying for the priesthood by any chance?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 16:33      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order of learning:
Руский
English
日本語 (a little)

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 17:22      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:

Why is that? Are you studying for the priesthood by any chance?
Meh, it just interested me so I went out and learned it. It has helped me in Spanish a lot figuring out words I don't know.

--------------------

The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2005 17:43      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How exactly do you speak "Marine?" In the Navy we just speak english with a lot more cussing.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture