homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Anyone have a music CD that they just keep playing over and over... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone have a music CD that they just keep playing over and over...
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 18, 2005 20:27      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I'm coming clean with my obsession with the soundtrack to Gladiator, the movie starring Russell Crowe. Obviously my displayed name is gladiator, because well frankly it's my favorite movie; but the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer with Lisa Gerrard on vocals has struck a chord with me unlike any piece of music I've ever listened to. I probably by conservative estimates have listened to it at least 100 times in the car, at work(while possible),in my portable CD player and on my computer. Haunting vocals with the power to soothe the stress of a bad day. I always am thankful to music for helping me through the bad times and making life that much better during the good times. Anybody listened to a CD this much? Just curious.

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 20:33      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep,

John Cougar Mellencamp's Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubilee albums.

I have had a copy in one format or another for the 18 yrs they have been around.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 20:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radiohead - OK Computer...I don't really tire of it...
HttT is good, but the former has a soft spot in my heart. Whenever I get bored of the disc making its rounds in my car, OK Computer often gets a play.

/me fires up some Oggs...guess what directory they're coming from... [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 20:44      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" and Thomas Dolby "The Flat Earth" have been played too many times for me to count on Cassette, CD and MP3. Newer music has been VNV Nation "Burning Empires" and Conjure One "Conjure One" (gotta get the new CD).
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 20:46      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, since MP3ising most of my collection, I don't listen to one particular CD over and over as much, I tend to pick and choose favourite tracks. I've probably listened to both of Disturbed's albums and Korns Greatest Hits album a lot of times, though. Of course, the best way to track is with a last.fm page (used to be audioscrobbler)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 18, 2005 21:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, Gordon Lightfoot? I listen to it at work a lot. I also go through my ApologetiX spells when I listen to their CDs for days on end.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 22:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Meddle' by Pink Floyd. The track 'Echoes' is probably my favourite piece of music, I've been playing it for over 20 years....since the days before CDs.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 22:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gladiator:
the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer with Lisa Gerrard on vocals has struck a chord with me unlike any piece of music I've ever listened to.

I too am quite a fan of Lisa Gerrard, and have several 'Dead Can Dance' albums which I listen to a lot.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 23:29      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Plans' Death Cab For Cutie.

'Takk' Sigur Rós. Buy, Borrow or steal this album. You need to hear it!

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 02:46      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
'Plans' Death Cab For Cutie.

At the risk of sounding like an internet cliche: me too [Big Grin] . It's been on repeat since it came out (particularly 'I Will Follow You Into The Dark'). I think it's my favourite album of theirs.

Was thinking about getting into Sigur Ros a bit more. Will follow up your recommendation.

Also, 'Grace' by Jeff Buckley never gets old. Nor does 'I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning', by Bright Eyes.

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 04:44      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also fond of Plans (especially "Soul Meets Body" and "I Will Follow You into the Dark").

I also tend to repeat Demon Days by the Gorillaz and Ta Det Lugnt by Dungen.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 05:08      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My music pattern is this:

1. Get a sudden thrill after hearing some music
2. Don't rest until name of music is found
3. Buy album from iTMS
4. Listen on repeat, in a state of ecstasy, until the music is stripped of all meaning
5. Dump the tracks into my huge playlist full of other, similarly treated music
6. Repeat

At the moment, it's the soundtrack to Requiem for a Dream.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 06:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go in cycles. I'll listen to a new piece of music or a CD over and over and over until the next thing comes along.

The current disc doing its share of spinning in my car is Our Lady Peace's new album, Healthy in Paranoid Times. It takes a few listens to grow on you, but after that, it's pretty sweet.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 06:11      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me thanks Skylar & i_need_a_pillow for the vote of confidence! I don't think DCFC are that well known in the UK (yet), but hopefully they will tour here sometime.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 07:03      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curiously just prior to reading this thread I was enjoying the album "Gorilla" by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, which contains the song "Death Cab for Cutie"

<Harry Hill moment>
What's the chance of that happening eh?
</Harry Hill moment>

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 07:48      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mosquitos" by Stan Ridgway. I can't seem to tire of it. Along with the 1968 Rafael Kubelik recording of Mahler's First.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 11:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loaded by the Velvet Underground (I know, it's their "pop" album, but I really like it). Randy Newman's Good Old Boys, Bob Dylan's John Wesley Harding, The Beta Band's Three E.P.'s and Pete Townshend's Lifehouse.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 19:32      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Momentary Lapse of Reason by Pink Floyd. Not quite Waters but still good.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 11:09      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I joined the iTunes revolution I tended heavily to Pink Floyd discs, especially The Wall, The Division Bell, Dark Side of the Moon, Relics and their first post-Waters live effort, Delicate Sound of Thunder.

U2's Achtung Baby got a lot of play, too, as well as some of their other albums.

Now I have smart playlists set up in iTunes so I don't hear any single track more than once every 1 - 5 weeks, depending on the star rating. But if I did incessantly play a modern album it would probably be Green Day's American Idiot. I don't actually have it, but I've liked everything they've played on the radio from it so far.

Edit: Fixed some typing goofs.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 13:06      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been listening to the HArry Potter audiobooks, so havent heard much music..

Although that $#%@ "be like the squirrel" or something song from The White Stripes just wont get out of my head. Since 2 weeks ago.

*thinks about getting an exorcist*

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
iNgenuer
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4395

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted September 21, 2005 14:01      Profile for iNgenuer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pretty obscure EP from Triple J Unearthed, Yunyu a little over a year ago from Perth.

She has such a unique voice and sound. "A Prayer" is an absolute gem of a track. Check it out on iTMS!

Posts: 1 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
torryarmy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4398

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 16:26      Profile for torryarmy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
My music pattern is this:

1. Get a sudden thrill after hearing some music
2. Don't rest until name of music is found
3. Buy album from iTMS
4. Listen on repeat, in a state of ecstasy, until the music is stripped of all meaning
5. Dump the tracks into my huge playlist full of other, similarly treated music
6. Repeat

At the moment, it's the soundtrack to Requiem for a Dream.

couldnt agree more except i have to say no.3.. sorry..

i'll listen over and over for a week then ignore for 6 months and then remember it and go back and do the same

a while ago it was the new new order album, atm theres sod all so its the canadian edge 102.1fm net radio or our local spanish station i listen to until something else turns up

(the past year has been janes addiction, brmc, qotsa, within temptation, meteora, unkle & faithless)

Posts: 3 | From: spain | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 03:12      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Led Zeppelin II

AC/DC Back in Black

Nick Cave Abattoir Blues

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The_Psychogenius
Mini Geek
Member # 2366

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 05:15      Profile for The_Psychogenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Changes, But Includes....

Sammy Hagar: Three Lock Box
Van-Halen (1978)
Whitesnake (1987)
The Cars: Candy-O
Night Ranger: Midnight Madness

--------------------
Chaos, and Lunacy are all good things.

Posts: 79 | From: Everett, Wa | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 05:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by torryarmy:

a while ago it was the new new order album, atm theres sod all so its the canadian edge 102.1fm net radio or our local spanish station i listen to until something else turns up

Ugh. I grew up in Toronto and Kitchener, and 102.1 was usually the only station available for rock music, so I found myself listening to a lot of CDs.

102.1 is absolutely TERRIBLE. They overplay the shit out of everything, and the guys on the Dean Blundell show in the morning are fucking OBNOXIOUS. The show would have been great if it wasn't for Re-Todd's consistent stupid interjections and (failing) attempts at humour.

And the day they started playing Eminem (ON A NEW ROCK STATION) is the day I switched the dial, removed it from my car stereo memory, and never listened to it again.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture