homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The Worst Jobs in History

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Worst Jobs in History
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 29, 2005 10:19      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this website, we take you on a journey through 2,000 years of British history and the worst jobs of each era. Tony Robinson, presenter of the Channel 4 series, has devised a quiz to see how suited you would be to certain jobs in the past. The skills agency learndirect has provided information on current offbeat careers, and finally, we show you how to take your interest further.

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/W/worstjobs/index.html

Posts: 8162 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 11:07      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting, though I still think the worst job has to be anything to do with feet. [shake head]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 13:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just spent like 40 minutes reading all of them.

Oh man I hope I was rich in my past lives. [Eek!] [Razz]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 14:03      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think being a doctor would be one of the worst jobs. Whoever decides to do that has my full respect! I can't stand to look at gore, and I can't hurt people or cut them open, etc. Plus the stress of people dying on you, working late nights, having to tell people their loved ones died, having to make quick and important decisions, etc.
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 14:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the open day at my daughters school recently. When we went to the music room, there was the teacher and a room full of 8 year olds hammering away at all manner of instruments. The noise was beyond description, I had to flee the room within a couple of minutes. That guy must buy his headache tablets by the wheelbarrow load.

Primary School Music Teacher: definitely a candidate for "worst job in history".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10700 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 20:10      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
I think being a doctor would be one of the worst jobs. Whoever decides to do that has my full respect! I can't stand to look at gore, and I can't hurt people or cut them open, etc. Plus the stress of people dying on you, working late nights, having to tell people their loved ones died, having to make quick and important decisions, etc.

Although being a doctor today (thankfully) doesn't entail doing live amputations or applying leeches, many of the other problems you described still exist today. My dad is a doctor, his dad was a doctor, and his dad was a doctor, but I really don't think I have the mental stamina to continue the family tradition.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 22:03      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I saw that show! It played on the History Channel. It was awesome. I like the story behind the origin of "nitpicker".

Taking medieval England into consideration, I'd say Systems Analyst doesn't touch the worst jobs of all time. I feel energized. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 22:41      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a doctor really sucks ... even when you're not dealing with life-threatening issues, it's quality of life stuff, and the hours are horrendous. When I look at the crap my doctors put up with from their patients, the lack of time at home with family, and the big difference beteween perception and reality in their finances ... well, I'd never want to be a doctor.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 02:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah, yeah, 12 hours after clocking in, my job's still all right for now. I'm glad I'm not an ASC... some of them put in almost 24 hours without sleep/dinner today. Pesky clients! [Mad]

EDIT: It's 7am and I started work at 5pm. My longest shift, ever. [Eek!]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 13:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:

Well, I've often found that doing the kind of work I do is analogous to being a 'computer doctor.' Naturally, I won't pretend to be half the person a medical doctor is - my work doesn't save a person from dying, or deliver newborns into this world, or any of the varying matters in between. However, I've brought back data that was otherwise gone, rescuing days/weeks/months worth of work. Of course, this is their fault for not having multiple copies, but that doesn't stop them from breathing a sigh of relief to have their life back again (the prospect of redoing a thesis is not fun - I still can't believe the one person who had their entire thesis solely on a floppy disk). I've also had to deliver the news that data is /gone/, or that a machine is simply inoperable. The other night, I just worked on this girl's Toshiba laptop, with the OS completely trashed...darned if I know what did it, but I just couldn't bring it back to life (spent over an hour with Knoppix, *trying* to get the registry back in there...but captive-ntfs just didn't want to cooperate), so I had to run the restore disc. I feel very crappy about the fact that re-installing iTunes caused her iPod to be erased...I was afraid that's what the dialog box meant by 'replace the contents with /this/ Library.' *sigh* I do hope she hadn't bought anything off iTMS...and am glad she was asleep when her brother paid me and I left (he made the very same point [Wink] ). (If she complains, though, I do feel compelled to give her about an hour's wages back for the loss - call it medical malpractice, if you will. [Razz] [It certainly wasn't deliberate, though.]) The other week, I spent over an hour resuscitating a network, at night from home, when I should have been taking it easy - there's never a break for a [responsible] sysadmin. :-/ I'd recant the phrase 'I hate computers,' but at the moment, I think it's really "I hate poorly-maintained/used Windows computers." (I'm honest - Windows can be used safely, but most people don't do that.) File-sharing software is the cigarette of computing - odds are high that you'll get viruses or other 'goodies' if you use it -- and akin to second hand smoking for my one of my networks...one sloppy virus can hose a network (fscking SDBot variant starts a torrent of ICMP traffic!).

/me disppears...sorry for the sloppy rant above...

I think it's high time I start another 24 hour period of "No I will not fix your computer" time. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9344 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 13:23      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My worst job was washing dishes at Pizza Hut. Got treated like crap by the management when it came to scheduling, and the job was gross. Working the cantene ina movie theatre was pretty gross too. Got butter in my eye! Eeew! But none of that is like being a doctor. We all have crap jobs once in our lives, unless you're lucky, of course.
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 13:30      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an email with these pics a while ago. Found them on a site. I think this fits in just right!

http://www.avolites.org.uk/jokes/job.htm

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 07:18      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget mid 1900's power company lineman. They had a 50% on-the-job-death-rate (mainly from electrocution, or if that didn't kill them, the fall after being electrocuted). And don't forget that linemen truly work rain, shine, earthquake, or hurricane.
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 10:48      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They missed computer support technician. =/

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture