homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Movies of Hot Chicks in Bed!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movies of Hot Chicks in Bed!
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 19, 2005 08:20      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - now that I have your attention - maybe I should state that a more accurate title would be a movie of a baby chicken, under a heat lamp, falling asleep. But the other title seems catchier. [Big Grin]

Our laying hens are getting old (2-3 years old at this point) and not laying to many eggs. So it is out with the old and in with the new. Yesterday my wife picked up from the feed mill 21 new chicks. There were supposed to be 26 in the box, but somewhere they forgot to put in the last 5. It looks like we got 4 out of the 5 different breeds we were supposed to get. We'll have to talk to the mill or hatchery about that.

The movies and still photos are on our website. Warning - they have NOT been shrunken down, so they are rather large. The cute movie of the chick falling asleep is the best - but also the largest at 10MB.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 09:23      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hungry.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 09:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mMMm.. chicken. *breaks out the garlichead sauce*

That chicken falling asleep one is great.. looks like me at my desk today. :S

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 09:42      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicken and Garlic Head sauce.... mmmmm is right! We just had drumsticks slow roasted in sauce the other night and it was great.

Every time before when I've butchered chickens they were broilers and raised just for that purpose. My family never did layers so I have no idea how tough they will be being a couple of years old. Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks. Haven't set a date with destiny for the old gals yet - but they will need to go before these get so big that they need the bigger space in the coop. Bringing young into an existing flock can be bloody while the figure out the pecking order - literally. So we'll avoid that issue by just swaping them out. We'll be without eggs for a couple of months but that isn't a big deal.

Back to the chicks.....
They are so damn cute to watch, pick up, etc. I also feel like the sleepy one this morning - maybe it's time for another mug of tea.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 11:47      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Doc.

We had our own flock of layers until a few years back. They make the best stewing and soup chickens ever, especially if they were allowed to free range at all. They're more flavorful. You just need to cook them slowly for a long time, as the meat tends to be a bit stringy otherwise.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 16:08      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, I read that as "flock of lawyers", and it still made good sense [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 16:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Doco, my daughters kindergarten has some eggs in an incubator at the moment, so I'm sure she'll be fascinated by the pictures and video.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10700 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2005 17:55      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD -I hope they like them. But for you a warning - be careful. Kindergarten egg hatching is what got me into this whole thing with chickens. A little begging from my son and some more from Mrs and we had some chicks coming home. Those were killed by the dog, so we got a cage and some more chicks from the mill. Those we locked in a cage on the floor instead of in a box. The dog pried open the corner. Another trip and the cage up on my workbench out of reach of the dog did the trick. Once the birds were bigger the dog decided to play with them instead of killing them - go figure. I suppose I should have just said "enough" after the dog did the first set in, but when you have your wife on the phone sobbing and can hear a kid in the background screaming - what is a guy supposed to do.
ThBull
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 09:47      Profile for ThBull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doco,
What fun! What sort of yard space do you have for these? It MIGHT be fun to try this at home with the kids, but I'm not sure we have the space for some 'layers'

Any thoughts would be helpful!
-ThBull

Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2005 07:09      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ThBull

We live on about 5 acres of land. (with neighbors having 20+ acres.) However, the chickens really don't take that much space. Of our 5 acres only about 1 is yard and the chickens don't even roam over half of that.

The chicken coop we use is about 10'x12' outside dimensions (slightly smaller inside once you take off the wall thickness, etc.) That coop holds 20+ chickens pretty comfortably. I wouldn't want to go much over 25 or they might be pretty crowded. They have an outside fenced yard that is roughly 12'x20'. In cold weather they are pretty much kept in the coop, but during the spring/summer/fall we often let them out of their fence to roam the yard. They don't go much more than 50 yards from the coop.

I know that some people have just a few hens in a small coop (a big box that is just a couple of square feet) and do this in suburban settings. Hens don't crow as much as roosters so you don't get neighbors complaining about noise on Sunday mornings.

Poke around on google. There are a number of forums where people discuss back-yard poultry or suburban chickens.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture