homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I did it! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I did it!
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 06:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I remember someone else in here talking about ditching caffeine some time ago and all the changes it made in their life.

Wow.

I've been trying to lose weight since Christmas of 2003. Since then, I've lost about 50lbs. (Yes, seriously.) During this winter, however, it'd plateaued, and stopped going down. I still have another 25 or so to go before I'm at my ideal weight based on my body structure and muscle mass, etc.

My girlfriend, over the winter, has put on a few pounds. Not a lot, probably only 5 or so, and she still looks incredibly hot, but it bothers her, and she wants to make it go away.

So we agreed to try and smarten up with our eating habits. Not an all out diet, those don't work. We just thought we'd be a little smarter.

So when we went to the grocery store, we skipped the pop aisle. We both used to drink Pepsi like it was water, but we completely skipped it and bought juice instead.

I hadn't even intentionally completely skipped out on pop and anything else caffeinated, it just sort of happened that way.

What a difference. The last time I had Pepsi or anything caffeinated was Sunday or Monday.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of this week, I had a headache. I had no idea why, but I basically ignored it, as I tend to do when I get minor aches and pains.

Then, this morning, when I got out of bed, I put 2 and 2 together.

It's amazing what a lack of caffeine will do to you. I wake up 10 minutes before my alarm now, alert and rested. I used to swat the clock and fall back asleep for 30 minutes.

And I've lost 2lbs since Saturday, so hopefully the decline can continue!

Woo.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 07:31      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just think, soon you'll be able to tie your shoes [Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 07:34      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Just think, soon you'll be able to tie your shoes [Razz]

One can only dream.
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 07:39      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man - I don't know if I could do that. (as I drain my last swig of morning Diet Pepsi and wait for my mug of tea to cool to a drinkable level).
I switched to the diet soda years ago because of trying to keep weight under control, but still wanting something to drink and "needing" the caffiene.

It is this evil cycle I just got myself into again this last month or so. Too much to do, and I don't see my wife most evenings until she gets home around 10:30 - so then we sit and chat and do chores around the house making it after midnight before bed - then trying to get my rear-end out of bed so I can get to work early enough so I can get home to watch the kids, work on creating class notes or build play props, etc. Rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat. Just once I want to sleep in.....

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 08:00      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time I ever consume caffeine is in occasional mega doses. I've found that if I don't touch caffeine for a while, I have a very low tolerance, which is very useful on long road trips!! (Of which I take many lately) [Eek!]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 08:11      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dnm: congrats on kicking the caffeine habit. It's a tough one, or at least it was for me.

Doco: Interstingly enough, if you stop consuming caffeine, your sleep will be deeper, more restful, and more refreshing, hence you'll need less of it, hence no more crawling out of bed in the morning. The less you use caffeine, the less you'll need it. I've found that it's truely amazing in the morning to wake up... like actually wake up insead of just groggily crawling out of the sleep state as I used to do.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 10:04      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm next.

I think I'll quit caffeine too, seeing as I don't have a sleep 'pattern.'

If someone asked me what time I go to sleep, or what time I wake up, I'd look at them perplexedly because I uh... really don't know.

Must fix it.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 10:15      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!

Just one word of caution... Juice has a high sugar/corn syrup content, so you'll still be ingesting a lot of calories and sweetener. It'd be better to eat three oranges than drink a glass of orange juice because not only would you have the pure juice, but you'd also have the important fiber as well.

/said the nutritionist at Universal Athletic Club

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 24, 2005 10:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the weight loss, that's amazing.

yep, ditto on being careful about the calorie content of juice!

Whenever I feel the need for a pop, I chose diet Pepsi, with no caffeine... took a while to like it, but I do now, and there's no caffeine hit.

I switched to decafe several months back, I get far fewer migraines and feel a lot better. I brew the good stuff, and make it strong... tastes amazing. Yeah, there's still a bit of caffeine in there, but not nearly as much as "real" coffee.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 11:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Congrats!

Just one word of caution... Juice has a high sugar/corn syrup content, so you'll still be ingesting a lot of calories and sweetener. It'd be better to eat three oranges than drink a glass of orange juice because not only would you have the pure juice, but you'd also have the important fiber as well.

/said the nutritionist at Universal Athletic Club

I generally drink not-from-concentrate all natural real orange juice .. so hopefully it's not as bad as most of the stuff out there.

And it's certainly better than Pepsi. [Smile]

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 14:27      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, someone else decided to go on a health kick, too. I decided that from this week onwards I'm going to try to exercise more and eat a more balanced diet (no more three Oportos three times a week). So when I'm not packing my own lunch for work I'm hitting Subway, and I'm trying to go for a half and hour jog every couple of days or so. No exceptionally dramatic effects yet, but I'm reasonably fit already and only marginally overweight, so I'd expect that.

Yes, I know not to totally deprive myself, I'm still intending to have Oportos once a week (I'm not addicted, I can stop any time I want [Wink] )

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 14:46      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to seem dim csk.

But what are Oportos?

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 14:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Oporto. Think KFC done right. Very addictive. I'd offer to ship across some of their food, but it wouldn't travel quite so well as GG's garlic sauce [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 15:29      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But according to the pictures on that site, if you eat that much Oportos, you must look HOT!! [thumbsup] [Wink]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 15:37      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But according to the pictures on that site, if you eat that much Oportos, you must look HOT!! [thumbsup] [Wink]

Actually, it's interesting. Most of the people who eat there do look that hot (so I turn up to make them look better, it's considerate really [Wink] ). Then again, the one I go to is quite popular with the backpacking crowd, and backpacking is a very effective way to get fit, so that's not entirely unsurprising. Oh, and it's just around the corner from Sydney Uni, so you get the Uni(college) students, too. It will be interesting to compare once our work moves further into the CBD in a couple of weeks time.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 15:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
It will be interesting to compare once our work moves further into the CBD in a couple of weeks time.

What do you mean by that? What is CBD? What work?

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 15:56      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What do you mean by that? What is CBD? What work?

Our office is currently in a suburb called Chippendale, which is fairly close to the central business district (CBD), but not within it. We're moving at the end of next week to another office which is right in the middle of the city (suburb is Sydney), so I suspect the demographic will change substantially in that area. Plus we get to be right opposite Hyde Park, which is a great park for eating lunch in.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 15:57      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know what happened there,

Posted a reply but it seems to have vanished into the aether...

Gist was: with you now csk, for me read BK's

Luckily none in easy lunchtime stike range so a BK junkout tends to be a once a month (or so) deal when we go into Ipswich (nearest town of note) and give in to junk food cravings/allow Danielle to experience what it is her peers seem to rate so highly

(If the other post strangely re-appears, forgive me)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 16:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No wonder those Oporto models look so sexy.... they're Chippendales! [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 16:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No wonder those Oporto models look so sexy.... they're Chippendales! [Razz] [Wink]

Do you realise that you just referred to a bunch of strippers in your post? After yesterday's little incident, that would seem more than a little hypocritical.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 16:11      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I realize what I said. 'Twas deliberate. I wanted to know if countries other than the US had them. What I don't understand is why dancers and furniture are both called Chippendale.

Anyone able to explain this?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 16:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Before they made it into furniture...it was used to fuel fireplaces. Ergo, it was hot wood, and the rest just followed naturally.
</gutter>

Disclaimer: The above post was complete and utter tripe.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 17:06      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
Oh man - I don't know if I could do that. (as I drain my last swig of morning Diet Pepsi and wait for my mug of tea to cool to a drinkable level).
I switched to the diet soda years ago because of trying to keep weight under control, but still wanting something to drink and "needing" the caffiene.

the diet versions of fizzy drinks are actually worse for you as the contain phosphoric(sp?) acid and aspartame. the phosphoric acid leaches the calcium from your bones and teeth, and the asparteme just poisons you. just some websites:
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/
http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Food_Guide/Soft_Drinks.htm
http://www.karlloren.com/data/p21htm.htm
http://www.intox.org/databank/documents/chemical/phosphac/ukpid73.htm

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 17:12      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alephcat:
the diet versions of fizzy drinks are actually worse for you as the contain phosphoric(sp?) acid and aspartame. the phosphoric acid leaches the calcium from your bones and teeth, and the asparteme just poisons you. just some websites:
http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/
http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Food_Guide/Soft_Drinks.htm
http://www.karlloren.com/data/p21htm.htm
http://www.intox.org/databank/documents/chemical/phosphac/ukpid73.htm

Well, you can't spell diet without die. Seriously, though, there seems to be some conjecture about the "badness" of diet drinks for you. It certainly doesn't seem as cut and dried as, say, tobacco smoking.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 17:45      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diet soda is some nasty stuff. And the chemicals aren't good either. [Wink]

Seriously I need to start adjusting my diet. I have fallen back again. I had dropped neary 12 lbs. and now I have gained 6 back in 2 weeks. I have a closet full of pants that no longer fit my waist.

I have always had an addiction with junk food when I cut meat out I lost large amounts of weight. Felt better too. Probably won't happen though.

And csk, what is wrong with cigarettes?

Who's done more research than the good people at the American Tobacco Industry? They say its harmless. Why would they lie? If you're dead, you can't smoke. </Roy Munson>

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture