homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » New Job (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Job
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2005 21:10      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spend 90% or more of my time at a desk.

I work for a Wireless Broadband ISP where I do many things...anything except for my original job description. [Wink]

I started working there doing Technical Support for our internet customers. It was discovered that I could do much more than this and I was pushed into doing other things...

This has ranged from Web developement, to network administration, and more recently, development of network management software and vulnerability assessment/security auditing.

Very occasionally, I'll be dragged out to a tower location for running diagnostics on equipment there, but that is the extent of my time spent away from my desk.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2005 04:43      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All that at the tender age of 18? Wow. At 24, do I even stand a chance? (At getting work like that in a few years.)

As a proofreader, I typically don't travel out of earshot of my desk unless my art director doesn't have any ads for me to proof.

Serenak, when you say you're split between design and production, what do you mean? What do you consider production?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2005 07:25      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. A desk. I have a desk that is really a cube in a cubefarm of other people's cubes. Somedays I spend 100% of my time sitting there typing, analyzing, gabbingon the phone, updating databases, fixing crappy code, documenting the crappy code I fixed, etc., etc... It's not a bad job and the pay is good. But of course it's still a job. Middle class life and desks seem to go hand in hand these days. Your college degree will secure you a cube in a grid of cubes. But once you're through with college, get all smarted up and feel proud that you're educated, your job will make you feel like you're back in the 1st grade. All it takes is one nano-micromanager that talks like a kindergarten teacher.

Otherwise, it's really not that bad...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 03:11      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Serenak, when you say you're split between design and production, what do you mean? What do you consider production?

I work in a small printing company (about 12 employees in all) and I handle the design/artwork and pre-press aspects.

By production I mean basic artwork, layout, page assembly, making up electronic artwork of some guy's invoice that was last printed by Mr Caxton himself, sorting out the various grades of sh*t... errm, sorry... electronic "artwork" supplied by customers (from the frankly ludicrous "I did it in PowerPoint will that be alright?" via the "my friend is a computer whizz and they did it in Publisher for me" and the inevitable Word files. All usually filled with delightful 72dpi RGB jpegs... And no before you ask it isn't only Joe Public (who a least can't really be expected to know why constructing his 128 page 2 spot colour catalogue in Word is a *really* bad idea). I have that much cr*p pass over my desk from so called "professionals" you wouldn't believe it (Oh, alright then, you probably would...), impositions (our finishing line works best on a strange odds and evens 4up imposition rather than the more traditional printers' 4..)

Of course anything I create is "designed" but by Design I mean something where the customer comes with a brief (or none as often as not) and wants something created (Brochure, Corporate Image, Advertising, Mailer, whatever...) and I get to do the concepts and visuals, liaise with the client, maybe produce revised visuals/proofs, etc. rather than the just "off the cuff" stuff I turn out all the time.

Like I say I used to be more design than production and occasionally I miss that - but then I think of the stress, deadlines, bolshi clients/art directors, late nights, etc. etc. and remember why changed from there to here....

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 04:52      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Basically at this point, if I have a mockup I can code it (within reason). But I'm still working on figuring out how to come up with said mockup. What differentiates, say, the kind of stuff on CSS Zen Garden from Dabs.com? (Yes, I do realize that a lot of stuff on CZG is overblown, but a lot of it is fairly nice looking).
How does a designer come up with a design? How does a composer compose music?

Some inspiration, some perspiration, some trial and error, "ah the muses luvvies..."

If you want to get into doing that part just do it Magefile - take whatever tools you use (Dreamweaver?) and just mock up some sites for your own benefit

What differentiates Zen Garden from dabs.com? Look and feel and context nothing else really...

Try doing a mock up of a site for (let's say) your local poetry appreciation society and one for your local "you bend it we mend it auto shop"

Designers look at everything around them and consider if it is functional and aesthetically pleasing - and can it be done better/nicer... Go look at sites and see what you like, what works and what sucks. Think about why it is good or not.

Then just go practice

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 13:22      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me raises both hands

I sysadmin a beowulf cluster on campus -- which means a lot of time spent in a room the size of a closet... A closet with a big shelving unit with 22 computers on it, sqeezed in with two desks and a couple of bookshelves... No window and it's always cold from the airconditioners (which also eat up room space).

My other job is sales at the Rep (yup, I just went back to the MilwaukeRep) -- where I have a cube and spend all my time "calling people in the middle of dinner trying to ram tickets down there throats"... Actually most people are really nice about our calls and it's not like were calling from the phone book, we're calling people who've seen stuff with us (and a couple of other arts groups).

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
JSwiss
Newbie Larva
Member # 3400

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 14:03      Profile for JSwiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/Half Raised Hand

Hmm, currently I'm the Phone answering Home Depot Bee, so I sit at a computer all day tied to the phone with a 3 foot tether.

Hopefully soon I shall break my chains of bondage and be able to wander the store harrassing customers and being vaguely belligerent to co-workers for sheer contrariness.

Actually I couldn't manage that. I'm awfully sweet... Or maybe just awful?

--------------------
-May the break in bad fortune soon come for us all, as there is only so much one can take and as with misery, my cup runneth over...

Posts: 5 | From: G-Ville, North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 27, 2005 14:27      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chained to the desk by a headset.

7.5 hours a day of saying "click on the start button...no, the start button...down on the lower left,...no...the button that says "start"...

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
SassyGeek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3218

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 16:26      Profile for SassyGeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm a tech writer/QA tester/trainer, so most of the time i'm at my desk, unless i'm doing a training. i really like my job. i think this is the first time in my life i've really liked what i'm doing and where i work! [Eek!]
Posts: 30 | From: right behind you! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 06:11      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Yes. A desk. I have a desk that is really a cube in a cubefarm of other people's cubes.

Loooxury! We used t' dream of havin' a bloody cubicle!

I'm currently assigned to sit on one side of a corridor, with a desk-surface that faces toward the wall, and a door behind me. It would be better if I could just close the fucking door... but no... it's a corridor that's in active use because there's someone with a real office (and a door that she can close and lock with a key) at the end of the corridor, and people walk up and knock on her door at least 3-4 times a day....

We're a bit cramped for space over here, but other than that it's not a bad job. I'm a systems administrator. That means I get to sit at my desk and do whatever I want until there's a problem -- and when there is, then I get to go wherever it is and fix it. (Often I can fix it by remote login, but not always. Depends on the problem. "Power cord came halfway out of the external SCSI disk" can't be fixed remotely, for example; that was yesterday.)

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 07:55      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a tech writer/trainer/CMS sys admin (Blackboard) at a university. I was previously a front-line tech, doing help desk, installations and repairs for hardware and software. I like the CMS stuff much better and wish I had the management support to expand the Blackboard work I do. I get mixed messages on that - locally I'm told to spend less time on it because it benefits a limited amount number of our constituants, but I know the Chancellor has made online learning support a university-wide initiative.

This places me in a conundrum. Someone at another campus of our university called me to suggest I apply there for a position they were looking to fill, so I figured why not and did. I got the interview and it's this coming Tuesday. It's a great position - Director of Student Computing for the entire campus. I'd be the boss. I'd be the staff equivalent of a full professor. However, it's the dreaded help desk again. I wouldn't be doing the CMS stuff I've come to enjoy so much. I know the people I work for now are difficult and it would serve me well to move on. I was planning to relocate out of state toward the end of next year, so it would be temporary. It would look great on the resume. Do I take a job that's a great opportunity but possibly with crushing responsibility and not doing what I want to do, or do I stay somewhere that's become a dead-end advancement-wise, a chore to deal with, but where I get to do what I like at least part time? I don't know what to do.

As if I didn't have enough going on.

*sigh*

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 08:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a nasty situation, Grey_girl.

Go with your gut. It rarely steers you wrong.

My opinion is, if you don't feel very compelled to go there, don't. If you don't want it, you don't want it. Being a manager is kinda cool. But if you hate the position, you will never show your true potential.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 08:20      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooooh,

That's gotta a tough one to call...

Hmmm? Let's see if I'm getting you right here - the new post has more money, kudos and self determination but heavy responsibility and is likely to involve doing some stuff you don't really like too much. While your current post is effectively a dead end but you get to spend some time on a project you like - (forgive my ignorance but what is CMS?)

The new post looks good on a Resumé/CV and you'd probably only do it for about 18 months or so before you relocate.

Well for what my humble opinion is worth I think I'd take the new post (unless the thought of helpdesk work *really really* turns your stomach) - that *is* assuming they offer you the position...

Perhaps it might be better just wait and see if you get the offer before worrying too much about what to do....

But hey it's not my life so wtf do I know...

[Smile]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 08:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive my ignorance, but what relevance is the job being dead-end if you don't think you're going to be there beyond the end of next year anyway?

I say go where the money is. [Smile]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 08:37      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CMS = Courseware Management System.

The relevance of the current job is that when I do leave here, I'd like to find an equivalent job elsewhere, continuing to do the same type of sys admin work.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 08:48      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
CMS = Courseware Management System.

The relevance of the current job is that when I do leave here, I'd like to find an equivalent job elsewhere, continuing to do the same type of sys admin work.

Hey I love money as much as anyone. But if you love the CMS work keep at it. Unless you are ripping holes in the couch for spare change a couple of days before payday. It's just money.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 08:50      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Grey Girl (I thought it probably was that but didn't want to assume and look like an ass....

I can't quite see how leaving your current post is going to impact on your getting similar work in a couple of years time. When the time comes and prospective employers are asking why you did xyz it is a simple enough story. You were in CMS but with no prospects, you were offered a job with better prospects and money so you took that. Now you have relocated and are looking to move back into CMS because you find that so much more enjoyable than hardware support... Surely CMS isn't such a furnace of white hot technological change that a year or so out is going to ruin your ability to go back into it (maybe it is I don't know)...

FWIW I left the world of print and design and took a year out to assess where I wanted to go with my life and whether or not I still wanted to be part of that... When the dust settled and I decided to go back into that world (if a slightly different sector) no-one who ever interviewed me seemed to think it strange that I had done that, many I think even considered it "good thing"(TM) because I showed I *wanted* to work at what I do...

--------------------

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 14:08      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grey_girl, what university? I'm currently taking some courses from Northwestern's Blackboard system (actually a program for high school kids that they run called CTD). It's working out very well ... except that some of the teachers need more training ("can I email you the grade?" "well, then I can't give it to my high school 'cuz it's not official - how about you put it in the 'gradebook' section of the site"). I would guess that getting people to use the system's full potential is a problem wherever you go.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture