homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The weather tomorrow should be outlawed.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The weather tomorrow should be outlawed.
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2005 13:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weather for Ottawa, Ontario

Check out tomorrow's weather (Jan 17th).

Windchill of -42c. (-41f for you crazy Americans.)

I have to go to work in that.

So with that, I say, "it was nice knowing all of you. :|".

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2005 13:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'windchill' of -42.

So, that's how cold it would feel if you were walking around naked, right?

In that case, I'd advise against going to work naked tomorrow.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2005 17:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNF____I always thought that it was interesting that -40C,-40F were the same point, and one of the alcohols frose at that temp.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2005 19:57      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I am pretty bummed about the weather around here too.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny and windy. Highs 77 to 83. Northeast winds 20 to 30 mph below passes and canyons.

What only 83? What a rip off. [Razz]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2005 20:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah! T shirt weather. Next thing is y'all be calling in the army to shovel snow. Cry me a freakin river.

Wind chill is for whiners.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 08:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capt'n Vic____Is it true that in WhiteHorse that there are no Pawn Brokers because they cant keep the Brass Balls on the sign, and that the Brass Monkey froze?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 08:43      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Capt'n Vic____Is it true that in WhiteHorse that there are no Pawn Brokers because they cant keep the Brass Balls on the sign, and that the Brass Monkey froze?

......now that you mention it.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 11:02      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Yeah I am pretty bummed about the weather around here too.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny and windy. Highs 77 to 83. Northeast winds 20 to 30 mph below passes and canyons.

What only 83? What a rip off. [Razz]

No Fair! I actually had to wear a coat to work today
[Mad] [Razz]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 12:14      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wearing a ski-doo suit at work.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 12:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Ok, you just knew we'd demand pictures, right?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 12:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's terrible out here. I actually had to wear a long sleeved overshirt in order to ride my bike to work. [Razz]

Though since the rain only stopped last week there is still a lot of debris on the road. Got smacked by a dirt clod in the chest at 85. Ouch!

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 12:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Ok, you just knew we'd demand pictures, right?
 -

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 14:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which one's you ?

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 14:51      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Which one's you ?

The one on top, silly.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 18:47      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Celsius <-> Fahrenheit conversion is actually really easy... Just take the temperature in deg. C and reverse the digits:

e.g. 16C = 61F

Amazing, right? Let's try another...

28C = 82F

Okee, gotta go now (slinks out of room...)
[Big Grin]

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 19:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windchill is the rate at which the wind removes heat from water, I believe. Basically, despite the temperature being -29, heat will escape from your body at a rate as though the temperature was -41.

It was bloody cold, I don't care how much of a pansy you think I am for it. [Razz]

As for the actual way to convert from c to f, take c, times by 9 divided by 5, add 32.

f = c * 9 / 5 + 32
c = (f - 32) * 5 / 9

Or you can do a quick (and wrong, but mildly close) conversion by taking c, doubling it, and adding 30. Works close enough to give you a rough estimate within the range that temperatures on this planet would be. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 19:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...that's switching the digits *does not work*

Let's see here:
32 F != 23 C
98 F != 89 C (you'd be *DEAD*)
97 C != 79 F (dropped 100 C to prevent it from being ridiculous)

Bad science debunked!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 21:36      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wot? Bob and Doug MacKenzie told me to convert anything from metric to imperial you just had to double it and add 30 [Confused]

-

FWIW I posted a long while back exactly what the 'wind chill factor' was......I'm too lazy to search the forums for it but feel free to.

*edit: here.

Also, cool definition, formula and snazzy (sorry java requied) tool here.

I still think that wind chill is subjective bull shit.

Eg: I'll shave my scrotum, place it against a steel pole in Greenland in January.....you hose me down with water. It may only be -20 but it feels like -30 [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

SassyGeek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3218

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2005 13:56      Profile for SassyGeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's finally above 0F here. I feel like breaking out the shorts!
Posts: 30 | From: right behind you! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 12 posted January 19, 2005 14:39      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Um...that's switching the digits *does not work*
Let's see here:
32 F != 23 C
98 F != 89 C (you'd be *DEAD*)
97 C != 79 F (dropped 100 C to prevent it from being ridiculous)

Really?! Gosh, maybe that's why people look at me funny when I complain about how hot it is when it's 8 C outside!
[Big Grin] (that's a grin, there, by the way)

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 2 posted January 19, 2005 14:48      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I still think that wind chill is subjective bull shit.

It is, when it's expressed as a temperature.

At one point, Environment Canada was leading a charge to express windchill in watts per metre squared, which was a measure of how fast heat was removed from exposed flesh. It was quantitative, but it must have driven the TV weather people and DJs nuts -- I can imagine the deluge of phone calls that followed.

Whether it's expressed in deg C or W/m^2, they still have to tell people what it really means to be outside in those conditions. Why they can't just cut to the chase and say something like "It's -20 outside, and with the wind your exposed scrotum will freeze and drop off in 30 seconds" is beyond me. [shake head]

Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 14:54      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple indicator:

If you walk outside, take a breath and your nose slams shut, its cold.

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture