homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Finally!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally!
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 07:49      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. I doubt most of you remember me, I don't post often, but I lurk constantly.

I just wanted to share some good news that happened to me this week.

I just spent a year living in Memphis, TN searching for a job non-stop, couldn't find ANYTHING, not even at a grocery store. I finally gave up on my hopes of cheaper living and moved back to New York State where I had lived the previous 7 years. I got back up here and within 1 (thats one!) day of job-hunting I scored the best job I've ever had in my young life (I'm 21).

I'm working for a company called DataComm Services, Inc. which is a division of the NY Daily News. My official title is System Support Coordinator. Basically myself and two others perform the roles of SysAdmins, Database Programmers, and general Tech Support within the company. I'm on cloud 9. I was getting so depressed because I couldn't find work. I'm the busybody type, so it was really getting to me.

Anyway, just wanted to say "WooHoo!"

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 07:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, dude! Big woo-hoo!!!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 19, 2004 07:58      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WooHoo indeed! Congrats man, thats amazing news [thumbsup]
Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 08:00      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

Oh and I should also add that a friend of mine just gave me a car for free (provided I pay to replace it's alternator) to replace the car I lost in an accident in memphis.

It's a 95 Ford Contour in GREAT condition except for the toasted alt. But that's no biggie. The shop wants $400 to fix it, but I'll buy the alt for $100 and put it in myself.

Maybe I should be worried with all this good stuff happening to me. Luck has a tendancy to equalize.

/hides behind office chair

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 08:28      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Original performed by nickelback
quote:
Somethings got to go wrong 'cuz I'm feeling way to dam good
I've always wanted to visit New York.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 11:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so here's something I noticed about life: periods of pure shit are followed by periods of pure joy. You just spent a year unemployed in Memphis and while you were there you lost your car. That was the shit. Now comes the joy. Enjoy it without question. It's been bought and paid for. [Smile]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 11:32      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sinn:
Thanks!

Oh and I should also add that a friend of mine just gave me a car for free (provided I pay to replace it's alternator) to replace the car I lost in an accident in memphis.

It's a 95 Ford Contour in GREAT condition except for the toasted alt. But that's no biggie. The shop wants $400 to fix it, but I'll buy the alt for $100 and put it in myself.

Maybe I should be worried with all this good stuff happening to me. Luck has a tendancy to equalize.

If you are comfortable replacing the alternator, you're probably already well aware that they're stupidly easy to replace in most cars. Some cars hide them behinds lots of other crap to make things difficult, but for the most part, they're dead simple. Good luck on that.

As for good luck equalising, I think it's the other way around, you're being equalised for that year in Memphis with no job.

Congrats on the new job! Best of luck to you back in NY.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 13:58      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by Sinn:
Thanks!

If you are comfortable replacing the alternator, you're probably already well aware that they're stupidly easy to replace in most cars. Some cars hide them behinds lots of other crap to make things difficult, but for the most part, they're dead simple. Good luck on that.

As for good luck equalising, I think it's the other way around, you're being equalised for that year in Memphis with no job.

Congrats on the new job! Best of luck to you back in NY.

I'm actually a pretty decent amateur mechanic. On the way DOWN to Memphis a year ago my old car (the one that was lost in an accident) blew an alternator somewhere in the middle of Ohio. That was a fun afternoon walking to the nearest auto parts store and back and then swapping the alternator out on the side of the road, and in the pouring rain I might add.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2004 14:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe. If you did it in the pouring rain, then doing it in a controlled environment probably won't be so bad. But I'd imagine NY is much like here right now.. bloody cold.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture