homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Old computers (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Old computers
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 18:58      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Didn't they also teach you about  - ?

No, I'd experienced teh Boobies before coming across fark. Some of which weren't even my own [Wink] (well, everyone has them, even males)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2004 22:21            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Ahh Yes-------Mine was a TI 99/4A with an expansion box. I had a an interface card(two rs232 and a Parallel port) Three 5.25 Floppy drives, a 32K memory expansion card to give it 48k total and a Ram disk card plus a speach syn, and of course joysticks. I used the modulator to couple it to a 25 inch TV so can everybody say large screen.

I had the TI also as my first mojobox, but I didn't have quite as many goodies (no interface card, no speech, no RAM disk, only the one floppy drive, and I had to use an old black-and-white TV as a monitor). That RF modulator kept getting banged up, and I kept having to solder it back together...

It was many years later that I worked for a guy who had previously worked for TI, on the original 99/4 project.

My first "serious" computer I bought in college, a Jameco assemble-it-yourself XT clone, for which I splurged for the extra RAM (640K, baby!) and the 20 Mb Seagate hard disk. I skipped out on a digital logic lab class to put it together...which I rationalized as "field experience." [Smile] My buddy passed the hat and bought me a 2400bps modem, with which I could dial into the university computers and upload my homework. The machine I use today is basically a refinement of that one.

IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2004 07:07      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well mine was and Apple IIe, with 64K, one 5 1/4 floppy drive and a black and orange monitor, running DOS 3.3.
I later upgraded it with an 80 column, 64k memory card and another floppy drive.

I bought it when I was 15 (so using another thread work it out), and paid 4500.- Swiss Francs for it.

I still have it and the last time I switched it on it still worked.

Ah well time to break out the Wizardry I and II disks then.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2004 08:09      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TRS-80 Color Computer, 4k RAM, audio cassette tape drive (no floppies or fixed storage).

Moved up to the Atari 800 after that.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture