homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » By the... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: By the...
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 02:15      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beard of Peter Gabriel [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Yes, in my absence from these boards I actually went to see the Man himself in concert.

It was great and he certainly knows how to put on a show.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 30, 2004 07:13      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, there is a musician that I would love to go see.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 18:13      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seconded! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

However, my wife and I are going to get to see Marillion when they make an appearance in Boulder at the end of September. (By the beard of Steve Hogarth? [Cool] )

Now I need to find a copy of Marbles...

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 19:14      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one outside of Denver knows who Marillion is [Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 19:20      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Sez you! More like no one under the age of 35 or there about.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 05:29      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
quote:

I resemble that remark [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Saw Marillion with Fish back in the early 90s, twice. Got a signed poster of the band as well, somewhere.
[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 08:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
quote:

You'll have to search for it, but that was an under handed insult....going back to a thread in which spungo was unloading on Erbo.

....and for the record I have a few of their albums meself

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 15:39      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marillion? Who? </someone under 35 who doesn't live in Denver>

[Razz]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 15:44      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spoongirl:
Marillion? Who? </someone under 35 who doesn't live in Denver>

[Razz]

Ah these young 'uns, have to teach them everything [Roll Eyes]

Go out and buy 'Script for a Jester's Tears' and 'Fugazi' for your penance (downloading does not count).

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 16:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then read this so you can understand the 'inside joke'

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 11:02      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, okay, I see.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 11:13      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spungo is so graceful with his words... [evil] [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted September 01, 2004 14:00      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And don't even dare to criticize Gordon Lightfoot. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2004 14:04      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Packrat over at EMinds once said, "What Kan I Say?" [Big Grin]

We just got hold of Marbles yesterday. Pamela tells me that some of the new songs sound very Peter Gabriel-like to her (and I can see, or rather hear, her point). So I immediately thought of this thread. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Incidentally, Marillion are playing a whole thirteen dates in North America altogether (including Montreal and Quebec City). Pamela says she hasn't seen them play that many North American dates in a long time.

Good to see you're a Freak of sorts too, SwissMerc!

Spoongirl, I'd actually recommend Clutching At Straws and Brave as Marillion intros, but Script for a Jester's Tear and Fugazi are good, too.

And, for the record, I have seen Gordon Lightfoot in concert, at the Arlington Theatre in Santa Barbara. Friend of mine had tickets and dragged me along, but I enjoyed it.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2004 15:36      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is Marillion?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2004 18:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Who is Marillion?

Gatekeeper of Minas Zagrath, second cousin to Aragorn, on his mothers side.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2004 18:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Who is Marillion?

Gatekeeper of Minas Zagrath, second cousin to Aragorn, on his mothers side.
Ahhhhhh..... *looking very confused*

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 04:38      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Spungo is so graceful with his words... [evil] [Big Grin]

Don't worry - I'm in Anger Management, now, or at least I would be if it wasn't for the f*cking train strike, and goliathan traffic jams caused by over-fretful, middle class 4x4-driving wankstain parents taking their f*cking screaming junior yuppie scum to school 5 yards down the roads 'cos - oh yes - every molester in the world is after their precious little Tristan and f*cking Arabella, with their poncey little f*cking public school uniforms and 200 quid arsehole hair cuts - and if it's not those bastards, than it's the lazy, Sun-reading workmen scum digging up the roads 'cos they have a quota to fulfill and secretly enjoy pissing everyone off, 'cos the slower the traffic goes the more chance they have to waste more time leering at women and shouting into their tacky mobile phones to the missus about absolutely f*ck all, until they can slope off to the pub at 11 am and cover the seats in workmen filth and abuse every other drinker who isn't covered in the same amount of drying shit as they are...

...anyway, it's going well. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 19:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely done, spungo - I've missed reading posts like these, in your inimitable style [Big Grin] . And wow, that post makes me just dream of going back to England [Razz] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 19:55      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just put on some Lightfoot, spungo. [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 20:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screw the Lightfoot. He needs Enya!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 20:19      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You reckon? If I was feeling angry, putting Enya near me would be like a red flag to a bull (LOTR soundtrack excepted, of course) [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 20:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm in that kind of mood, I need to listen to some King Crimson
 -

<sings>
Cat's foot iron claw
Neuro-surgeons scream for more
At paranoia's poison door.
Twenty first century schizoid man.

Blood rack barbed wire
Polititians' funeral pyre
Innocents raped with napalm fire

Death seed blind man's greed
Poets' starving children bleed
Nothing he's got he really needs
</sings>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 20:50      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting song choice, TFD.

I was rather alarmed when I watched the "Soundtrack to War" semi-documentary that my "angry music" choices are quite similar to what the soldiers listen to before going into a potentially hostile situation.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 21:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I saw that one, scary.

You put a 20 year old in charge of a $20 million killing machine, play loud 'angry' music through his headset, and you end up with stories like this

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture