homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » gmail invites (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: gmail invites
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 20:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea, csk - but if I have a mail server at my disposal, why not make use of it? (I used my test server the other day to deal with RealPlayer 10.) Right now, I just want to know how I'm getting spam in an account labelled 'spamtrap.' I mean, come on - shouldn't a spambot know* better than to e-mail an address with the word spam in it? That address is not published - rather, many aliases (created from now-disabled accounts) point to it. The only thing I can think of is that when I let it fill up a couple of month ago, the server might have sent back a message "Mail cannot be delivered to '[email protected],' mailbox is full" - and the damn spammer added it to their list. I just cleared 2000 messages out of that box today, skimming them in MozThunderbird (*awesome* piece of software), finding 3 legit messages, and forwarding 5 pieces of Habeas abuse to said company. I hate spam.

*Be programmed

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 20:55      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Good idea, csk - but if I have a mail server at my disposal, why not make use of it? (I used my test server the other day to deal with RealPlayer 10.)

True [Big Grin]

quote:

Right now, I just want to know how I'm getting spam in an account labelled 'spamtrap.' I mean, come on - shouldn't a spambot know* better than to e-mail an address with the word spam in it? That address is not published - rather, many aliases (created from now-disabled accounts) point to it. The only thing I can think of is that when I let it fill up a couple of month ago, the server might have sent back a message "Mail cannot be delivered to '[email protected],' mailbox is full" - and the damn spammer added it to their list. I just cleared 2000 messages out of that box today,

Dictionary attack? Or just trying spamtrap at a whole bunch of domains to see if it gets through?

quote:

skimming them in MozThunderbird (*awesome* piece of software)

What happened to mutt? Unless this is on Windows, of course. Then you can still mutt using a port, or cygwin. Although, I have heard good things about Thunderbird.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 09:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
What happened to mutt? Unless this is on Windows, of course. Then you can still mutt using a port, or cygwin. Although, I have heard good things about Thunderbird.

It is on Windows, as a matter of fact. I use the cygwin port of mutt as well, but I'd heard good things about Thunderbird, and decided to try it out the other day, and found that it's quite nice. In many ways it functions like mutt does (threading, decent keyboard navigation support), and has a very clean interface (like Firefox). Also, I've got it set up for multiple accounts right now, so it can check 3 IMAP accounts right now (mine, spamtrap, and spamtrap2). The fact that it shows me full headers quickly, along with the text/plain part makes it invaluable. I just glance at the message, visually filter it, and hit 'n' to get to the next new message. Otherwise, I just use 'b' or 'f' for back/forward.

Here - get the facts: [Wink]
mutt
Thunderbird

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 20:41      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wheeeee

I'm gmailin' now. Thanks Aditu. It's opgeven at you know where dot com

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
gabrielV
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2808

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted June 23, 2004 23:04      Profile for gabrielV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gmail..Gmail..Gmail..Gmail..

Please send me an invite..

For your kindness I've prepared a chicken for ya

subservientchicken.com [thumbsup]

Please send me an invite.. [Razz]

ipcls3
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2908

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2004 11:02      Profile for ipcls3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can somebody send me a gmail invite? I would truly appreciate it.. thanks
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2004 18:32      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems gmail is going a little more mainstream... a lot of my friends have like.. 5-10 gmail invites available on their accounts now. :|
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2004 18:40      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, but you can now you can claim that you used gmail back before it sold out [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2004 21:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I now have a gmail address too (thanks Tut-an-Geek [Big Grin] ), bit before the @ is pelennor

Why does Pelennor sound familiar? Guess I should Google it. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2004 23:45      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Pelennor is from Arthurian legend. /me goes to read _The Once and Future King_

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2004 10:43      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the invite, PB!!

Rhonwyyn(at)gmail(dot)com

--------------------

Harpune
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2910

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2004 15:12      Profile for Harpune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some Gmail invites to give out... I have actually trying to think of who I should give them too and now I've got a good idea. I will give a gmail account to anyone who visits this link Free iPod and fills out the form completely for me.

I have 5 invites so as soon as you register and fill out the information, email me at [email protected] and I will send you an invite when a referal is reported.

Posts: 2 | From: Seattle | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2004 16:07      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harpune:
I have some Gmail invites to give out... I have actually trying to think of who I should give them too and now I've got a good idea. I will give a gmail account to anyone who visits this link Free iPod and fills out the form completely for me.

I have 5 invites so as soon as you register and fill out the information, email me at [email protected] and I will send you an invite when a referal is reported.

Whatever loser. Everyone else (including me) is giving them away, and you want something for 'em.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2004 17:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the Cap'n said.

I've got several to give away too, just email me at my gmail account.

The gmail address is gdruid (ignore this bit - damn spammers) at (ignore this as well ) gmail.com

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10705 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Harpune
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2910

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2004 17:18      Profile for Harpune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blast. you're right, figured it was worth a try, though. Anyway, now that I've got a few more (12 in all) invites, I'll just give them to whoever wants... email me: <invites.*[email protected]> for one.
Posts: 2 | From: Seattle | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 04:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
I now have a gmail address too (thanks Tut-an-Geek [Big Grin] ), bit before the @ is pelennor

Why does Pelennor sound familiar? Guess I should Google it. [Razz]
I think the Lord of the Rhymes used it in a rap song
Hosts of mordor at the city gates
The horn of gondor reverberates
See smoke from the pyre of denethor
Tonight the shit goes down at pellenor
[Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 11:29      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha. Should've figured that one. I've never heard the rhyme, but as soon as it used "Mordor," Pelennor fell into place. Last summer my brother (now 14) would read bits and pieces of LOTR aloud to anyone who would listen. [Razz]

--------------------

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 4 posted August 29, 2004 13:14      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, i've had my gmail acct for 3 days now

i haven't rec'd even ONE spam!

i haven't sent anything either, or rec'd anything from anyone (only cuz i haven't given it out)

anyway, it seems google is getting geared up for final release, as i have just been given SIX (6) invites to hand out

[crazy]

so - them who pm's 1st, gets 'em [Smile]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Autodidact
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2279

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 14:39      Profile for Autodidact     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm adding a few invites of my own into the bin. I got mine here, so I'm sharing the wealth.

4 invites to the first four folks who PM me.

Good luck all.

Posts: 4 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 14:59      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same deal, I've got six invites to hand out to the first six to PM.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 18:43      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without setting up my Gmail account, I received an e-mail from my pastor that showed up in Gmail instead of in Yahoo (sent to Yahoo, not Gmail address). Has that happened to anyone else?

--------------------

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 19:02      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just wondering how google distributes gmail invites anyway. When I first signed up I had several (don't remember how many now, probably six like everyone else) but then about 45 MB and 3 months later I've only gotten one more. It's still waiting in my inbox...but I think I'm going to give it to my bf (who has had the same yahoo account for 5 years).

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 19:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm moderately sure it's random. I've had a gmail account for about a month now, and I've received ONE invite the entire time. My gf decided she wanted a gmail account, so I got a friend of mine who had 8 available to him to send her one. She got on, and 1 day later she had 6 available too.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 19:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be based on email traffic volumes.

I've got 2 gmail accounts, one that I use for all the 'junk mail' (various newsletters I subscribe to, etc) which gets a dozen or so emails a day, and the other that I reserve for actual people email, but don't use much because most people still use my ISP-based email address.

It's the 'junk mail' account that got the invites.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10705 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 19:45      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
It may be based on email traffic volumes.

I've got 2 gmail accounts, one that I use for all the 'junk mail' (various newsletters I subscribe to, etc) which gets a dozen or so emails a day, and the other that I reserve for actual people email, but don't use much because most people still use my ISP-based email address.

It's the 'junk mail' account that got the invites.

Hmm, I thought that too, but my 6 invite account has probably had a total traffic of < 20 emails during its lifetime. It's either random/semi-random, or based on how long since you were invited. I'm guessing the latter, since there seem to be a few GC people getting invites to give out all at about the same time.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture