homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Name origens (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Name origens
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 13:03      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm bored so I was wondering where everyones name came from. I know a lot of them have a story behind them and some i know, others im curious to find out. I will share mine if others are willing to share theirs.

Someone asked me what the Jr. at the end of my name stood for. well, actually i had written it as JR but still should have been understood. The question was in pure ignorance and as i thought it was a stupid question, i answered it with a stupid answer. The first thing that popped into my head was Jace Raven. I should also note that my favorite bird is the Raven, and as the Edgar A. Poe poem is too.

Coincidentally, I like to Rave and phonetically sounding Raven can sound like Ravin'.

angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 13:07      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine just came to me one day. One of my "autobiographical" songs is Prelude, Angry Young Man by Billy Joel. And I was a psych major who took three semesters of German, so I replaced Young with Jung. And here we are.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 634 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 13:26      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is from the Chinese God Monster called Bibo. I'm not sure if Bibo is actually a Chinese God Monster or if the entire story was fabricated by Archie McPhee.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 13:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a thread on this a few months back, but I'm not in the mood to subject myself to the UBB search engine now...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 14:07      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! You! My computer's crashed!
Hey! You! My email's not working!
Hey! You!...

Get the picture yes we see...

[Razz]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 14:35      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
Hey! You! My computer's crashed!
Hey! You! My email's not working!
Hey! You!...

Get the picture yes we see...

[Razz]

I thought it was inspired by the song:

Hey you, out there in the cold
Getting lonely, getting old
Can you feel me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles
With itchy feet and fading smiles
Can you feel me?
Hey you, don’t help them to bury the light
Don’t give in without a fight.

Hey you, out there on your own
Sitting naked by the phone
Would you touch me?
Hey you, with you ear against the wall
Waiting for someone to call out
Would you touch me?
Hey you, would you help me to carry the stone?
Open your heart, I’m coming home.

But it was only fantasy.
The wall was too high,
As you can see.
No matter how he tried,
He could not break free.
And the worms ate into his brain.

Hey you, standing in the road
Always doing what you’re told,
Can you help me?
Hey you, out there beyond the wall,
Breaking bottles in the hall,
Can you help me?
Hey you, don’t tell me there’s no hope at all
Together we stand, divided we fall.

/me sparks up a big ol' doobie, eyes glaze over..

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 15:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm... nice idea...

There's also a rather fine ditty by the Cure called 'Hey You' ('Kiss me Kiss me...' album.)

"Hey you! Yes you - oh oh ohhhhh... you the one that looks delirious - come over her and kiss me kiss me... "

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 16:52      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you hitting on him?
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 17:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's why hey-U was dabbing lanoline behind his ears ! [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 17:49      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
are you hitting on him?

Damn - I guess I need to work on this subtlety thing. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 13, 2004 21:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some relevant threads... there's a few more out there somewhere...

http://www.geekculture.com/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=001033

http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000322

Posts: 8170 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 22:41      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what a good nick would be?

Mr. Beefy

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 03:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name was bestowed upon me by my peers in recognition of the goood job I did designing Stonehenge.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 04:34      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
My name was bestowed upon me by my peers in recognition of the goood job I did designing Stonehenge.

Stonehenge...where the little people play... [Big Grin]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 11:16      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, sconzey comes from scones, which, when said with a queen's-english accent (for the Americans, thats skohnz with an 'oh' as opposed to skonz) rhymes with my surname (no prizes for guessing what it is). Blame the Year 6 (for the Americans, thats whatever it is when the kids are 10, 5th grade I think) class clown for that one.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lithandro
Geek
Member # 2407

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 11:39      Profile for Lithandro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was short for Lithandros-Esmanthil, which is the name of an Eldar Farseer from one of the the Games Workshop Warhammer 40K short stories, but due to IRC nicks being cut to 9 characters it became Lithandro.

--------------------
But why is the rum gone?

Posts: 106 | From: Pontefract, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 12:19      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Gambit (from the X-Men for those not in the know) is my favorite comic book character (it's the accent and southern charm and in my youth the red eyes) and Bella Donna was his wife's name. A few years ago I read the book Belladonna (freaky) and began squishing the two together, but kept the 'D' uppercase. Back when I role-played most people figured it was for the poisonous plant, and I just never corrected them. More mysterious that way than naming it after a comic book character.

--------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 12:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parent molecule for theophylline (found in tea and coffee), theobromine (chocolate anyone?), and my favorite stimulant: caffeine. It is also a purine, that is, it's a fully conjugated, 9-member, bicyclic ring of carbons and nitrogens. Xanthine has two carboxyl groups. Other purines are hypoxanthine and the famous nucleic acid bases guanine and adenine. All purines lie flat - there is no cis or trans xanthine, so don't ask.

I have since learned in the course of getting a degree in biochem (and this has also been pointed out by fellow GCers) that xanthine is also an intermediate in the urea cycle. This has nothing to do with my nick. Get over your giggling.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 13:14      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Said it before but my name is from the Discworld character Ponder Stibbons, who I used to look like, and still do act/sound like. Or so I've been told. Never seen the resemblance myself [Smile]
Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 17:15      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Some design! It's falling to pieces! [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 18:49      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine is the english form of the latin word illvminatvs which means an enlightended one. too bad it doesn't apply to me because i am a dumbass

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 22:40      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name doesn't have the cool meanings that these other peoples do, but mine DOES have a bit to do with my history.

I used to be(and still am sort of) a serious pothead. People asked me why I didn't quit and I'd always tell them that I was Too Cool to Quit. I tried quitting a couple times, but then took a step and realised how UNCOOL that would have been and started back. *puff*

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2004 22:59      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my family nickname for me has been "goo" for as long as i can remember. they still call me that, with the occasional "google" thrown in there...

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 00:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:

You should look so good when you're 4800 years old !

--------------------

Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 15, 2004 04:48      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:

You should look so good when you're 4800 years old !
nonono, it should be "when 4800 years old you reach, look as good you will not!" [Roll Eyes]

my name does not really have much of an interesting story behind it, I used to use ALeph4 but when I came to Slashdot that was already used so I had to change. I thought, I like cats, so I added that instead of the 4.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture