homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » company morale is rising

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: company morale is rising
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 26, 2004 11:50      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would you measure morale in a workplace?

Some of my coworkers and I have been joking around about determining the current level of morale and also what causes it to rise and fall. For instance when a festive ring tone is heard, we all think it must be cinco de mayo. Hence, morale goes up a point or two. But if it's a top 40 ring tone, then it may drop.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lithandro
Geek
Member # 2407

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 13:17      Profile for Lithandro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
erm, suicide rates perhaps?

--------------------
But why is the rum gone?

Posts: 106 | From: Pontefract, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 3 posted March 26, 2004 14:09      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egadd! A company using the Pavlovian model of management. Well a hierarchy of outcomes would be implicant with these ring tones. Since you have the acenders and decenders defined I'll mention
this earlier post as a last resort motivational tool.

DEAR EMPLOYEE

The use of this ring tone will be tricky as it will have to occur at a frequency where older employes can hear it and younger ones will not.
Should your firm hire without discrition to age
and use a seniority system as well, then this may not be very effective....but that is a problem germain to Plavlovian management [Razz]

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 14:17      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ring tones was just an example. We joke around about other things, like when "the man" starts to crack the whip, morale takes a dive. When the man announces that he'll be out, morale jumps. We were joking about making a thermometer on a dry erase board and adjust it everytime something happens.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 26, 2004 14:32      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morale is awesome at my office place today. The server's been down--no workie!! [Happytears]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 29, 2004 01:27      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everybody knows that office morale is measured by the Dilbert index, i.e. the average number of Dilbert cartoons pinned up per employee (higher D.I. = lower morale).

Unless (as happened to a friend of mine) the company bans the display of Dilbert cartoons, in which case you can assume that morale is tending towards zero... he now works somewhere else [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 01:44      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We haven't got that many Dilbert cartoons on cubicles, but we have about half a dozen or more of the Dibert books in the lunch room[1]. Does that count?

Another good measure of company morale is whether the total number of people in the office is rising or falling. In the company I work for, a whole heap of people have left in the last few months, and virtually none have been replaced. That's never a good sign...

[1] Yeah, I know, I should put my JOT book in there. I only just thought of that, and it's at home.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted March 29, 2004 02:49      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I worked at Sears, they would have this sports related "Game Plan" for preventing theft and giving quality service. And they had a wide screen high definition TV in the lounge. No couch, but we did have control of the remote. [Smile]
The main guy that I work for (as a piano teacher), Mr. Von Stickup Myass is a real fanatic of a professional look when I teach his kid how to play chopsticks. (Meaning I can't wear my usual fetish clothing like I do at my other job.) My hair has to be tied up away from my face, pressed shirt, dress slacks/long skirt, panty hose, flat dress shoes. No jewelery, make-up, or perfume. (= low moral for Lumi) [Frown]
And if you think that's strict, you should see his kid!
And, obviously, I have a higher morale at the other job, but it's not exactly of higher morals. [Razz]

--Mosquitos suck!, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 13:38      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lumina Manson:
My hair has to be tied up away from my face, pressed shirt, dress slacks/long skirt, panty hose, flat dress shoes. No jewelery, make-up, or perfume. (= low moral for Lumi) [Frown]
And if you think that's strict, you should see his kid!

Perhaps he received the impression that people who dress goth are all druggies and whores. I wonder why
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 14:15      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
Perhaps he received the impression that people who dress goth are all druggies and whores. I wonder why

That is like saying all people who sail are gay....not that there is anything wrong with that.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 14:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:

That is like saying all people who sail are gay....not that there is anything wrong with that.
/me refrains from any mention of what all people in the Frozen North do to moose.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 14:55      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you referring to them cutting them open to sleep in their innards to keep warm?
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 14:57      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
[QUOTE]

/me refrains from any mention of what all people in the Frozen North do to moose.

Any port in a storm, my friend. Any port in a storm.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 15:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
are you referring to them cutting them open to sleep in their innards to keep warm?

Nah, you're thinking of Empire Strikes back [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 15:16      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
[QUOTE]

Any port in a storm, my friend. Any port in a storm.
But don't you feel silly wearing the antlers?
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 15:24      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
[QUOTE]But don't you feel silly wearing the antlers?

...only until someone says: "Nice rack"

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 19:47      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where i work, if something breaks, it throws morale off balance. The morale of the software people goes down, while the test guys' morale, myself included, goes up.

--------------------

Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 30, 2004 01:30      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You can call me a whore, you can call me a druggie, but don't call my clothing style goth! [Roll Eyes] Besides, I was never either. (Phone sex doesn't count)
I got a higher morale point with my piano boss: I get to wear high heeled shoes, but not the stripper platforms I usually wear. Regular stilettos, closed toe, no more than 2 inches high and no excessive straps. I'm wearing him down. [Razz]

--It begins..., C.P.

--------------------

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2004 01:32      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, posting mistake [Razz]

--------------------

Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2004 01:33      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, another one! [crazy]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture