homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My New Web Page

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My New Web Page
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 00:00      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I finally figured out something original to put up on the web. It's very simple, very very simple, but it provides a venue for the communication of thoughts and ideas; and that's all I really care about.

http://milokp.dyndns.org/~kris/newsite/index.html

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 00:31      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck to your web page and all who sail in her!

Not sure about your views on CSS, but hey, it's your toy...

And I spell "aren't" with a letter "e" - again, not that it matters in the overall scheme of things - I'm just in pedant mode this morning...

[Wink]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 11 posted March 26, 2004 01:54      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart my heart....an ol VW Bus. I was working on these before I ever thought of computers and web design. Nowdays everyone is into computers in their teens and limping their mom's old 200K+ miles Honda Civic around town.

Not long ago I saw a 62 model 21 window open top
for sale. Was it ever rough. I just can't justify restoring one right now. I once had an old 64 Bug/Type 1. The 40 hp 1200cc would run all day on a long highway drive. Little 28 PCIT Solex electric choke carb would just sip gasoline.
It finally died and was just beyond using as a full time auto. The 6 volt battery rusted thru the
floor and the rust in general lent it to become a
parts donor.

It is hard for most people to imagine just how critical the shroud is or the oil level for that matter when it comes to an air cooled engine. There are many quirks and quarks in a VW engine.
The Bus series is known for severe wear on its its valves. It owes to the reduction gears that the transmission drives thru(located behind the rear wheels)

Are you thinking about fixing this up for a primary vehicle or just using it on occasion for camping? Using it for a small RV may be the more
practicle choice with the looming fuel cost.

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 14:47      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, Kris. [thumbsup] Have fun with the engine overhaul, that sounds like it's going to be an epic project.

--Flash, who agrees about the CSS but uses 'em anyway

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 15:24      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as we are on the convo I finally made a quickie site for me self.
www.freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 16:04      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
Not sure about your views on CSS, but hey, it's your toy...

When I'm producing content for the page, having to stop to think about previously declared varibles and their functions just intrrupts my flow of thought. It's very frustrating. I imagine things as a whole, and as such, I like to put in my formatting as I'm putting the page together.

quote:
Originally posted by eDJ:
Are you thinking about fixing this up for a primary vehicle or just using it on occasion for camping? Using it for a small RV may be the more
practicle choice with the looming fuel cost.

Actually, this IS my primary vehicle. Yeah, I'm crazy. [crazy] The previous owners only used it once a year or so, and only changed the oil once a year, as such. Right now it suffers from a case of water-in-the-oil, probably because it wasn't run enough in it's previous life. Of course, the overhaul is going to take care of all of that. I just absolutely love to drive it... I mean, I just can't explain it... it's not like driving anything else.

quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
that sounds like it's going to be an epic project.

Yes, sometimes I wonder if I really realize what I'm getting into. I have 5 pages of parts to buy already. Everyone, including the books I own, says I can do it; the only person who really doubts that is myself. :-/

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 16:14      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMK: "declared variables and their functions"

In style sheets???

Seems like I'm even more clueless than I thought...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
NetwerkGuy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2475

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 26, 2004 16:54      Profile for NetwerkGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with the engine overhaul project. Sounds like it will be an adventure, and big accomplishment at the same time. Maybe post a few pictures on your site as you go along.

--------------------
If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 49 | From: /dev/null | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 10 posted March 26, 2004 17:53      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kris, if you Yahoo....here are bunches of clubs for VW/aircooled/bus/seventies owners. Perhaps we should talk off the board about the water/foam under the oil cap and something you shouldn't do when sitting stopped in traffic.

Yahoo groups:

VW_Bug

Aircooled

The list of 136 VW clubs in the Yahoo groups starts with this link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=VW%27s&sc=0&sg=0&ss=1

You may find some things more to your interest or even start a group for your venture. You can link it to your web page, post photos in the club gallery, encourage the posting of helpful links,
and have a blogg going with several experienced members posting advice, sources, etc.

You may gain some insights as how to deal with the fathers of the girls you show up to take out on a date too. Always a treat for the guy whose only car is a van. [Eek!] [Big Grin] (and the girl who likes him)

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture