homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The people in your neighborhood. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The people in your neighborhood.
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted March 23, 2004 11:42      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often muse about buying a house (pfff, as if I can!) So, I watch the neighborhood I'm living in, for "things to keep in mind about what you don't want in a neighborhood". So, anyway, I'm almost adjusting to BC's wild west way of open garbage burning fire pits in every yard, but there's this one thing happening that it would never occur to me that would be annoying; there's a guy a couple houses down who's obsessed with his riding lawn mower! The constant drone is driving me nuts! He's out there right now! He was out there all day yesterday! He was there when I walked by!

Ok, I think I have a theory as to why he's out there all the time mowing his lawn. Judging from the farmer cap, and the age of the individual, I think he's a retired farmer, from the prairies, and he's got that Spring fever every farmer gets, and he feels like he should be on the fields, and I think he feels like he's on his tractor, doing his fields, and he can't stop, it's Spring, he has to be out there tending his crop of grass!

I don't know why he doesn't just start growing pot in his house and farm like every second BC resident! [Razz]

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2004 12:38      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why doesn't he just drive it cross-country like Richard Farnsworth in The Straight Story? The thing I hate about spring is the emergenge of the biker a-holes. Every couple of minutes one of them will come cruising by on their Harleys-budda-budda-budda-or worse, those Japenese bikes that sound like a mosquito amplified ten thousands decibels. [Mad]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2004 15:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing to watch out for, the neighbor who's building an extension on the back of the house, and doing all the work himself.

I lived next door to a guy who was doing that, every weekend from around 7 am he was out there, hammering and doing indescribable things with power tools, and yet there was never any visible progress in the project. We were there for a year, and yet the half-finished extension when we moved out looked exactly like the half-finished extension when we moved in.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2004 21:13      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
I often muse about buying a house (pfff, as if I can!) So, I watch the neighborhood I'm living in, for "things to keep in mind about what you don't want in a neighborhood". So, anyway, I'm almost adjusting to BC's wild west way of open garbage burning fire pits in every yard, but there's this one thing happening that it would never occur to me that would be annoying; there's a guy a couple houses down who's obsessed with his riding lawn mower! The constant drone is driving me nuts! He's out there right now! He was out there all day yesterday! He was there when I walked by!

Yipe -- and I thought my apartment complex's weekly "Make Noise for No Reason Day" (e.g., landscapers) was annoying! I really couldn't imagine dealing with that every day. It would make me want to mine his yard with lawnmower-blade-eating gravel, or something.

I really feel for you; my neighbors are the type that invest in 30-jillawatt subwoofer stereos and procede to play them, all day, every day. Even at 2 in the morning. So there's a constant bass THUMPA-THUMPA-THUMPA throughout my apartment. [Frown] I'm seriously thinking of sabotaging their wiring; while I fantasize about eventually being able to afford a place, all my own, where neighbors live a decent distance away. Like half a mile.

Or maybe I'll just buy some earplugs, instead.

--Flash, too many people, too close together

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 23, 2004 23:52      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an idea....
seeing that the bank of Canada has lowered the interest rates again, AND made it possible to borrow money for the down payment, Why doesn't everyone pitch in for a Solid Nitrozanium membership so that Nitro and Snaggy can buy a house, and not have to move around so much! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I really wish this to happen, because you guy's rock!!!!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1151 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 04:31      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may just be the capitalist b*strd side of me showing, but why don't you find a farm and sell the guy off? [Wink]
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 07:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac Well if I had known that it bothered you so much I would do it more often. Seriously that is nothing compared to our neighbors he works second shift and it is nothing for him to come home from work and start working on his car in the driveway with the radio on and and a large collection of work lights or to start a bonfire and sit out and enjoy a few beers, our house is downwind so we get the smoke.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 24, 2004 12:14      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to make you jealous or anything, but I'm moving into my own place this weekend. New condo, second floor, all flooring and walls built solid concrete... No more THUMP THUMP nor water leaking from the upper appartment, no more paying, paying, paying for some more stupid things... Excuse me while I beam!

Good luck finding the little hidden pearl that cost about nothing!

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 12:31      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will go solid next month.
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 15:09      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sings*

Oh who are the people in your neighborhood
In your neighborhood, in your neighborhood
The people that you meet each day

[Wink]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 24, 2004 23:51      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK ARRRGH!!!! now I got that damn tune in my head.....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1151 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 2 posted March 25, 2004 01:01      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My next door neighbor married a Chinese woman recently. Yep, went to China and brought her back. Fine couple no problems. She got herself a cat. Great cat. Alls well except for one quirk.

When she calls the cat...and this is wierd....you know how we say..."here kitty kitty kitty? Well, she says "meow meow meow meow meow meow meow"

I hear it in my head constantly now...when I see MiMi(the cat) I'm even finding myself calling to him saying "meow meow meow meow meow meow meow"

Is this strange or what????? ::beats head against wall::

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 09:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I whistle at my guinea pig to get her attention so I'm not sure I'm qualified to express an opinion here...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 09:42      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eDJ:
I hear it in my head constantly now...when I see MiMi(the cat) I'm even finding myself calling to him saying "meow meow meow meow meow meow meow"

Is this strange or what????? ::beats head against wall::

eDJ

Sounds like a Purina Cat Chow commercial. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 7 posted March 25, 2004 14:00      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If only it was bouncy and playful like the Meow Mix jingle.(I agree it is just as addictive....oh jeez now I'll be hearing that too)

She says it like we say kitty kitty kitty.(real fast) I've tried this with cats elsewhere and they look so dumbfounded.(like I just came here from the MOON or somewhere!)

Xantine points out her call to her guinea pig. When I lived in North Carolina I would hear neighbors there speak of "whistle pigs". I learnded that they were referring to Ground Hogs. They also use a whistle sound to call to each other. Some around West Virginia call them Wood Chucks as well. If you whistle a one note
sound(shrill and short) the little guys will stand up and look around. I've often wondered if these are akin to the Wombats in Australia.

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ninhydrin
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2004 22:52      Profile for ninhydrin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My next-door neighbors suck. They constantly drink and play loud music. One of them once threw up on their lawn.

Their youngest son pleasures himself in the basement. How do I know this? It's rather audible.

We also have leaf-blower guy, who graces us with his leaf-blower sounds every Saturday morning at 9 am.

Posts: 3 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 03:06      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ninhydrin:
My next-door neighbors suck. They constantly drink and play loud music. One of them once threw up on their lawn.

Well, at least it's their lawn (well, this time at least [Wink] )

quote:

Their youngest son pleasures himself in the basement. How do I know this? It's rather audible.

That's ... bizarre ...

I can't quite understand how that works. Does he shout encouragement to himself "Oh yeah, thats it. Yeah, just like that. You know you want it, you dirty little .." and so on? Or does he play his pr0n too loud? If it's the "natural sounds", I always thought males were comparatively stealthy (compared to females, anyway).

quote:

We also have leaf-blower guy, who graces us with his leaf-blower sounds every Saturday morning at 9 am.

Well, just do your own leaf blowing at about midnight on Friday. Problem solved [Big Grin]

<disclaimer>Don't do this at home, kids, csk won't be held responsible for any violence endured as a result of following his advice</disclaimer>

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 04:42      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as for neighbors...

i live in one of those ginormous apartment blocks for people with no money. My neighbors are a married couple. their son lives upstairs. The mother goes upstairs and fights loudly with her son. then she comes downstairs and fights with her husband. there is currently a sign on her door saying 'whoever speaks meanly of me can't enter my apartment'. They have an old baby carrage that they use for shopping, and they leave it outside the door filled with canned food.

upstairs lives my Hausmeisterin. she has a total of two teeth. she is currently building a cage for her pet rabbits, which will be roughly the size of her apartment, based on the boards she leaves in the hallway that people have to climb over to get downstairs. she likes working on her cage early in the morning and late at night. bang bang bang.

my other neighbors only come by every so often to pick uptheir retirement checks. They live in another country but are registered as living in germany so they can get their money. when they were here i could hear them coughing and cooking, as our walls are thin. Countdown 2.5 monthes until i leave....

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 05:02      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "people" in my neighbourhood are complete b*st*rds and I HATE THEM!!!

/points at NOISY b*st*rds to his right

/reclaims blunderbuss from dm97 (find the damned thread yourself, mmkay, you so smart), looks around him... "You lookin' at me punk? Huh? Huh?"

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 09:14      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in NYC where everyone lives on top of each other, so I'm accustomed to hearing noise from other people's apartments. A low sound I can deal with, but I have had a downstairs neighbor who liked to blast salsa music at midnight. Thankfully, the landlord asked him to leave. However the landlord moved in, so that's a different can of worms. Much better when he didn't live here - now I just worry about pissing him off. I don't have a lease, and I don't want to lose the apartment because while it's very small, I'm paying extremely low rent.

The point of this is - I can deal with moderately noisy neighbors, it's NYC itself that bothers me. It's just too damn loud. Cars, sirens, etc. It's the main reason why I want to leave NYC so badly - I will relocate when my son graduates from high school in two years. I haven't made up my mind yet where, but I will.

<edited bad grammar>

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 10:07      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in the in the middle of nowhere (no, not the "h") in North Carolina. When I was growing up there were barely any neighbors at all. (closest one: .5 miles.) Now, some trailer trash as moved in at teh edge of our property w/ 20 or say baying dogs at night...I got a McDonalds gift certificate and Antifreeze for Christmas it was so bad. (Operative word: was) Anyway, his wife moved out and so did he, so now there is this god awful ugly trailer ruining the mountain view. Also traffic has increased a lot.

What really got me though, was when my crackhead neighbors to the left burned there house down (supposedly on accident) along w/ their five year old son. Not only did they kill their son, but that was their SECOND FIRE Now their trash from the fire blows in our yard, which I must pick up every friggin' day, seeing as they have yet to bulldose the remaining structure.

But comparitively w/ y'alls' neighborhoods I have it great, so I'll shut up now. [thumbsup] [Wink]

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2004 11:39      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*reads Ivan's post
*shuts the fuck up

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 05:01      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in a truly wonderful neighbourhood. The folks on the windward side of us think nothing of letting us appreciate their death metal music - even at inconvenient hours. Bless. On the other side there is a couple who must be thespians by trade, as they are always rehearsing some violent melodrama late at night, involving blood-curdling screams and the odd gun blast. I should be delighted to see them perform live one day. Then, to complete the picture are the local rosy-cheeked young rascals that scamper about every evening along the wee lane behind the houses. For our grateful entertainment these devilish young souls will race each other in their automobiles at breath-taking speed up and down the road, occasionally executing the most daring and dramatic hand-brake turns, just for our rapture. Furthermore, as a testament to their caring nature, these delightful youngsters have also been known to leave their vehicles in a state of unattended conflagration, presumably so that those who live in cold houses may warm their hands out in the open.

Ah, there's no place like home, is there? [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 06:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of neighbourhoods - this is just down the road from me. (Don't worry - it's safe!)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2004 08:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apartment complex is between a junkyard and a trailer park. This sounds a lot sketchier than it really is. The junkyard has dogs. The trailer park is full of cute little kids on cute little bikes who don't necessarily watch where they're going. Furthermore, it's a Boulder trailer park, which means that in any other city, these people could probably live in houses (this is not a cheap place to live). In short, the trailer park next door doesn't bother me.

I had neighbors across the hall. I say had because they left yesterday before the eviction dudes could get them. I shoudl be nice - there were five or six people packed into a one bedroom apartment - but they weren't a fun bunch to live across the hall from. The kids used to scream - no - shriek. In the hall and also in their own apartment. Their mom though that parenting skills invovled the f-word. I'm not sure the kids were getting hit. I have a feeling they were, but not enough evidence to report it. The screaming would happen at any hour though - early in the morning, late at night, afternoon, evening...

There was another thing that, more than the kids, made me glad to see them go. There were always people knocking on their door. One night, as I came in, I saw three teenage guys hanging around outside the door. They stared at me as I wheeled my bike past and began unlocking my apartment, and as I went through the door I heard one mutter to the other, "You buying?" Then I went inside and heard them knock on my neighbors' door. Maybe I should have called the cops.

The worst, however, was not that family. The worst was some people further down the hall, by the laundromat. I walked by to get my laundry going. I heard two men shouting at each other. I walked back to my apartment, and this time I heard something smacking flesh and one man whimpering. *cringe*

There's also the people above me who party on Saturday nights, but I find that noise more amusing than anything else. Especially when someone starts imitating The Gubernator. [Smile]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture