homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Start spreading the news...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Start spreading the news...
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2004 16:09      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm leaving Wednesday, I wanna be a part of it..etc etc

Yup I am going on a trip with my wife to New York for five whole days! This will be my first ever visit to the US, and just like any other virgin I am hoping New York will utterly corrupt me! We have tickets for Rigoletto at the Met on Friday, and my wife keeps muttering "shopping, shopping, shopping" and then cackling loudly, so I guess I'll be following her around for quite a while festooned with carrier bags, but I hope we will have time to just mooch too.

The hysteria is rising!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2004 16:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I actually found Amsterdam and London more corrupting, but whatever floats your boat Cal. [Wink]

Be very, very careful with the Met. It will suck you in, and next thing you know six hours have passsed, your legs are jelly, and you haven't seen half of what you wanted to see because you got distracted by this, that, and the other thing.

BTW, no one's gonna tell you to mind the gap on the subway. Over here, we assume that you're a big boy and can get on the train yourself. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2004 16:59      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stop by Connecticut, you can go over Tut's house and drool at his G5 [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2004 18:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth Xanthine
BTW, no one's gonna tell you to mind the gap on the subway. Over here, we assume that you're a big boy and can get on the train yourself. [Big Grin]
Damn those inconsiderate New Yorkers - they don't tell anyone anything...
 -

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 07, 2004 12:21      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman's lookin to get scorched by Miss X, and very badly I might add. [evil]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1151 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 14:49      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
...but I hope we will have time to just mooch too.

If you find you have time, drop me a note! I don't cook, but I'll treat you to hotdogs and pretzels. [Smile]
Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 15:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me - my favorite lab rat will be in NY this upcoming weekend, and we were thinking - perhaps you'd like to do lunch or something (Cal. & co, and/or anyone else) [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 16:37      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesse, D'man & Xan, thank you very much for your kind and hospitable invitations. I would absolutely love to, but I am certain that my darling wife would not, so in this instance I regret I must demur. But thank you again. You GC people are the tops! [Smile]

I am hoping to take advantage of the cheap dollar and buy a digital camera during our visit. In particular there is a rather spiffy new model from Canon that I would just love to get my sweaty palms on, though I am uncertain as to whether it is actually shipping yet. Is there any particular camera shop you would recommend?

--------------------

Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 17:02      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the photo buffs I know go to B & H, but I don't know if it's because they have good prices or purely because they carry specialty equipment. Their website lists the Canon but it's not in yet.
They are closed Friday afternoons and Saturdays, and for Jewish holidays, which I always forget until facing the locked door. (Will I never learn to call first? [shake head] )
Anyway, they're on 34th/9th in midtown Manhattan.

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 17:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, what Jess said [Smile] . I was about to field the question, about what the big place that either you or grey_girl recommended awhile ago was, as I forgot it already, but you were one step ahead [Smile] .

Callipygous: A word to the wise - pack some warm clothing, hats, gloves, and the like - you might find yourself dealing with some of that damned white stuff. We're supposed to get a couple of inches tomorrow, and looking at weather.com, I'm afraid we might get some more on Friday :-/. I was really starting to like the nice spring weather we were having *sigh*.

And w.r.t. weather and clothing - I just went to post something, and pretty much wore a hat, gloves, scarf, and light jacket, as it was a tad brisk out. Oddly enough, it reminded me of January in Boulder. The only difference is that there was a void beside me where there should have been a nice lab rat/heatsink [hearts] . /me blows a raspberry in Kettle's face [Razz] [Razz] . Anyone else got a problem with it? [Wink]

P.S. An aside: Are you staying in a hotel, or with any friend/family? I ask because your cheapest bet yet might be to order it online from some place (in the US) like newegg.com, and get it shipped to whatever your residence will be.

--------------------

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2004 17:52      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cmon, dragonman, don't you listen to CBS-AM 880? For all of your photography needs "you go to B and H!" [Smile]
I was about to say J&R, but they don't seem to have it.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 00:48      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much everyone for your help. Shame about the camera, though no surprise really, and thanks for the tip about the weather. I have the my Konfabulator Weather widget set to New York and am hoping for the best!

--------------------

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 03:18      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in CT, we have fresh snow! And it's still comming down!

EDIT: Nevermind, it's rain now [Smile]

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 06:59      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cal, if your wife changes her mind or if she's suddenly vulnerable to the Jedi Mind Trick, and you are able to get together, let us know!

I bought my Canon A70 at B & H. I concur with the others that B & H is the place to go. Best price in the city, and at the time, they were the only one who had it in stock (it was the new model then). Also, they donate space for the NYCDAUG meetings, so I'm more than happy to give them a plug.

D'Man... I have plans Saturday night, but if you want to arrange lunch or something with Xanthine, let me know. [Big Grin]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 07:19      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monochrome Minx thank you! I will try said mind tricks, though since she has had me in thrall to her for the last 23 years I am probably the one under Jedi remote control!

--------------------

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 08:25      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monochrome Minx. I like that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 13:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MM Glad to be of service!

Yours ever

The Sepia Stud [Wink]

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2004 16:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'm back. I had a fantastic time, and I learned a few things.

1. Going to NY for the first time is rather like the first time I saw Hamlet. It was hard to follow the play because every other line is a clichéd quotation. Likewise as NY is the backdrop to just about every second film, tv series or song you know, you keep running into places and sights that almost feel like dèja vu. Weird.

2. However reality is always grubbier and untidier than your dreams, but this is comforting. It makes the city human.

3. I was knocked out by the architecture, it is just so much more impressive in reality. I was also amazed by the visual clutter (almost amounting to anarchy) at street level.

4. Jazz sounds better in NY, particularly at 3 in the morning over the roar of traffic. Indeed it sounds just right.

5. Bread cakes and all baked goods are excellent. Here in the UK they are generally awful unless home made.

6. I ate cheap and the food was OK, but too often rather bland to my taste. Perhaps you Americans just have much more sensitive and refined palates, but myself I enjoy more gutsy flavours. And what is that absurdly oversized portions thing about? I don't like waste so I didn't like it.

7. I was propositioned not once, but twice by an aged hooker. I find now that the only strangers ever to come on to me have to have at least 2 of the following 3 attributes, senility, professional qualifications, and certifiable insanity. I did feel very sorry for the poor old thing though.

8. You can shop till you drop in NY. I can think of few places where I could spend money so fast.

9. People there are just great. They are very open and friendly, without making a big deal about it. I just loved sitting down to breakfast and being offered "Kawffee".

10. It's a place with a fantastic open adventurous spirit.

So do I love NY? Sure, and in buckets - what's not to love?

--------------------

Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2004 18:23      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to #6. New York food sucks (except pizza). If you want gutsy flavor head down south to New Orleans. And as for the portions, haven't you heard? All Americans are fat [Razz]

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2004 19:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sinn:
In regards to #6. New York food sucks (except pizza). If you want gutsy flavor head down south to New Orleans. And as for the portions, haven't you heard? All Americans are fat [Razz]

In the interests of balance, I'll just say that the only 2 places in the USA where I got a decent feed were New York and Cajun Country. I honestly don't understand how merkins in the rest of the country manage to get so fat on such horrible food. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture