homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Coffee, dammit, where's the coffee?! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Coffee, dammit, where's the coffee?!
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 11:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I'm just a little edgy right now :-P. I'm a bit on the tired side, and have only had a nice cup of Irish Breakfast tea this morning. My prof friend and I are under the impression that a friend/peer/student of ours should be showing up with some coffee, but we're not entirely certain of it anymore. Coffee...me want!!! Oh well, give me another 30 mins or so, and I'm making some.

At least I did some consulting this morning, and scored some extra green [Smile] . Now I'm just lagging, and devoid of motivation to do anything. Maybe I'll play with some perl, and work my way up to programming my robot a bit more.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 11:29      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the best I can offer. Peets coffee I understand it is good, but not sure a virtual cup counts. LOL
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 12:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*twitches*
Ohhhh...there's a Peet's 4.8 miles from me...
/me tries to stay in the office, and not run to Corolla-san. I did just make that coffee, as I gave up hope, and I get the impression that our friend is home sick. Peets is good - I was last at one of their stores in Seattle (not the original one), and I had some *really good* coffee there. Ahh, I can almost taste it in my mouth now, that was *good*. Add to that a tasty cookie, and very good company, and you have an extremely happy dragon.

Right now, I made a blended brew, of some really nice Seattle coffee (which seems to have gotten a little bitter, as some was still sitting here), and some Columbian coffee. It seems to be a pretty good mix, and I'm getting some much needed caffeine. Now I need to troubleshoot a Windows app :-/.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 12:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering Peet's opened in San Francisco, hon, and only recently arrived in Seattle, there's not a chance in hell I could have taken you to the original when you visited in August. That ball was entirely in your court. [Big Grin]

I shoulda warned you about that Highland Blend. Fresh ground coffee doesn't keep forever.

/me braces self for some help room hell and speeds out the door.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 13:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, love, you're absolutely right - that was me in a caffeine-deprived state. Peets inspired Starbucks to start (in Seattle), and 'twas *that* first store that I must have been thinking of - the one that was a pure coffee [bean] store before Howard Schultz got his ideas.

And yes, normally I know better about coffee life, but I blame my coworker :-P. Somehow she implied that it ought to best held for more special occasions, otherwise I would have finished it off in a few weeks.

--------------------

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 22:45      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i looooove peets

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2003 14:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, I see I didn't properly read the results of my query - it was alerting me to a grocery store that sells Peets...the amazing stuff is quite limited:
quote:

Peet's Stores - Owned and operated by Peet's Coffee & Tea, with a full drink menu and complete selection of coffees and teas. Located in Northern and Southern California; Chicago, IL; the greater Boston, MA area; Portland, OR; Seattle, WA; Austin, Texas; and Denver, Colorado.

So, I see some really desirable travel locations in that list...

--------------------

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2003 08:50      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
DM: Now I need to troubleshoot a Windows app
code:
 format c: 

usually works...
[evil]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 12, 2003 11:47      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peets: Yum. Ok beans, ok flavor.
Starbucks: Belch. People drink this stuff?
Illy: Woohoo!! Best thing that can happen to you without violating indecency laws.

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted December 13, 2003 19:44      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a sergeant who made good coffee, it was 1 scoop to the cup, gave most people the jitters [Big Grin]

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2003 20:20            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extra strong, yet smooth in taste:Shock coffee
 -
I MUST order more soon!

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2003 00:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, for the true coffee buff, nothing comes close to this

I used to drink it all the time when I was working with the UN, teaching C programming to the pygmies in the jungles of Sumatra. [Wink]
</pack-of-lies>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2003 13:46      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Of course, for the true coffee buff, nothing comes close to this

I heard in CBC Radio that shit (pun intended) is $200 bucks a pound or something outrageous
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 11:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[This post serves as a coffee acquistion/purchasing reminder, nothing more [Smile] .]

--------------------

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 13:35      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to buy some coffee Dman [Wink]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 13:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I'm not at danger of running out, I'm just looking to acquire some really good stuff...

Edit: Says I after just having had a cup of tea :-P.
Yeesh, I'm throwing out some of this coffee someone gave me for Christmas - flavored stuff, a small sample pack, and I think the Italian stuff must have been flavored with a touch of Anise[t], which is really an acquired taste that just isn't mine.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 14:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dragon: drop me an e-mail before Tuesday so I don't forget to pick up some Hihgland Blend for you.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 14:52      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dug out my Gaggia while I was at home for Christmas, but after a few days of heavy use it started leaking from the brewhead. Still shopping for new hardware is always fun and you can't beat the magic ounce of espresso, even if prep and cleaning is a chore. As for flavoured coffees [shake head]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 16:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allan, you'll get no argument out of me about them [Smile] . Although the first thing wasn't too bad, and it was free, this little pouch is going right out.

We inherited an espresso maker from my father's mother, but alas, there is something wrong with the tubing inside somewhere, and we don't think it can be fixed. That would be a rather nice thing to have around here. Then again, I rather like going to a coffee shop for a shot, in part to get out of here, so I can have some peace, and enjoy some good espresso and a good book, or work on an idea or some code. It's also nice if there's someone else to join you, but that doesn't happen often in these parts :-/. However, I do enjoy my moments of solitude in a good book, or other aforementioned activities. There's also something particularly good about trekking through the woods of a park that is nearby to a coffee shop I frequent on weekend, after having had that double espresso. Mmmm...it almost calls me now. Instead, I think I'm going to make another cuppa, put this laptop down, and kick back with a good book. I'll even contemplate making posts with more cohesive structure than this one [Big Grin] .

--------------------

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 22:04      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
peet's? psht.

toscanini's.

there are three, if i recall correctly, found strictly on massachusetts avenue in cambridge. they have literally the best coffee, tea, and ice cream. chai ice cream with cardamom and cinnamon, anyone? [hearts]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 22:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, definitely something I'll have to check out the next time I go to Boston (whenever that is - I don't know).

/me still thinks fondly of Seattle and it's coffee places...[drool]. Where else do you have espresso huts, akin to Photomats? [Razz]

--------------------

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 23:22      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
/me still thinks fondly of Seattle and its coffee places...[drool]. Where else do you have espresso huts, akin to Photomats? [Razz]

We've got one -- Caffino! It's a little teensy shack that serves the WORST Yuppie-luvin' coffee known in existence outside of the gag-worthy "Cuppa-Joe" they serve at Denny's (Yuban? blergh). It's fugly and the people look so sad in their Caffino hats and their "I should have at least TRIED to go to Junior College" expressions... [weep]

...but it is one step higher than working at a Sno Shack. [Big Grin]

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 00:44      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me fondly remembers pre-christmas trip to Venice. Coffee was mostly very good and some were excellent.

I can see the appeal of coffee cabins, but I always like to have a seat and read a bit where possible. What I really hate is when I get served up a cup of lukewarm slurry, or my drink gets referred to as expresso

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 11:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
/me still thinks fondly of Seattle and its coffee places...[drool]. Where else do you have espresso huts, akin to Photomats? [Razz]

We've got one -- Caffino! It's a little teensy shack that serves the WORST Yuppie-luvin' coffee known in existence outside of the gag-worthy "Cuppa-Joe" they serve at Denny's (Yuban? blergh). It's fugly and the people look so sad in their Caffino hats and their "I should have at least TRIED to go to Junior College" expressions... [weep]

...but it is one step higher than working at a Sno Shack. [Big Grin]

Jess

That's not to say that I actually *went* to one [Wink] . I'm only commenting on their existance. Mmm, I wish I could remember the name of the place that will make your own personal mix of ice creams for you on the spot, with toppings or other stuff galore (was it perhaps "Mix?" Someone here can correct me. [Wink] ) - that was nice - chocolate ice cream with a fresh shot of espresso poured on top, mmmmm, that was *so* good. It's even nice to be able to sit outside a shopping center, and have an espresso with some birds gathering nearby, and what the hell, to offer them a few crumbs off a scone [Smile] . Yeah, I love New York, but I do miss Seattle - well, not just for the coffee (or the temperate weather) [Razz] .

--------------------

Fixerbob
Alpha Geek
Member # 1587

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 04, 2004 14:20      Profile for Fixerbob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a cup of some coffee called 'Red Hot Lava Java' a while back.
As soon as that stuff got into my system I was twiching so much I had trouble using the keyboard

[Eek!]

That stuff get me Way over stimulated...

[crazy]

Posts: 301 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture