homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Bad baby names (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Bad baby names
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2003 14:24            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2004 18:02      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Escrak

I kidd you not.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2004 19:56      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
In the trailer trash hall of fame, it's the number of times letter "y" and double "n" occurs in a name that gives it the true mark of distinction, e.g. Kaylynne.

Oh shucks. What does that make me with the two Ys in my name? [ohwell]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2004 20:00      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless that happens to be your real name, you're probably safe. Then you can say "I'm not trailer trash, but I play it online" [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 00:48      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!! I'll have you know that Rhonwyyn is a very classy Celtic name. Definitely NOT trailer trash! Besides, around here trailer trash names include Betty, Roy, Joe, Pamela--normal, boring names like that.

It's the city kids who have the strange names: J'lynifer or Jalissa or M'nique. Some names look like their parents sat down at a keyboard and just hit random letters.

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 01:06            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know that I'd call it a bad name, but my uncle named his third daughter "Morgana"...and gave her the two middle names "Ariel" and "Ygraine" to add to the effect. I think he'd just been reading Le Morte d'Arthur or something around the time she was born...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 01:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeeze, anyone who would choose a name from ancient british mythology must be mad.

I'm glad my parents gave me a nice sensible name like Druid [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 04:21      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Well, I don't know that I'd call it a bad name, but my uncle named his third daughter "Morgana"...and gave her the two middle names "Ariel" and "Ygraine" to add to the effect. I think he'd just been reading Le Morte d'Arthur or something around the time she was born...

As a francophone, I can tell you I find Ariel quite nice, and Morgane is not that uncommon. I used to know a girl who has a very common name - Isabelle or something - but hated it (and it didn't fit her), so she had us call her Morgane. A lot more fitting to her character too. So I guess it's a matter of culture.

But Ygraine... Even in French, that's ugly, plus open to so many bad jokes, as it could be translated Y-seed. Now I'll have to forget that's a name...

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 08:14      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my wife did her pediatrics residency she used to see a wide variety of really bad names. My favorites were "female", pronounce "fe-mal-e", like tamale and, drum roll please, "Placenta".
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 08:36      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
years ago, I worked for the people who run the war veterans pension scheme in Oz, we had a large medical staff, including

Dr Payne
Dr Hurt
Dr Butcher
Dr Deth
Dr Blood (of Cemetery Road - I kid you not)

hehehehe

I used to have an internist named Dr. Comfort and the OB/GYN that delivered my son was named Dr. Winner.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 10:38      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if these are bad names, but they are unusual.

My older brother is named Merlan.

My name is Sherman. And through most of my childhood I was nicknamed George. I don't even know how that one came about.

I loved it when people used to call for my mother. Ok Ja. "Is AhhkJaw there?"

Colonel Panic. Evansville, eh. I still remember living in beautiful downtown Jeffersonville. I even worked at Jeffboat on the barge line. Level 3 and a level 2 welder. I don't think anything will ever take me back there. Though a can of Falls City beer sounds nice.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2474 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 13:09      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knew to brothers once called Tristan and Lucian

A bit rough... the older (Tris or "String" became a professor of archaeology) What happened to "Lucy" I couldn't say but I know he was always thankful his mother vetoed Beowulf and Grendel as possible names...

Also once worked with a Richard Head (yeah it's an old gag but he swore his parents claimed they didn't realise...)

And let's face it Mr Wayne must must have had it fairly tough, (also the British Wrestler from my youth "Big Daddy" whose given name was Shirley...

Be afraid...

Very afraid...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 13:43      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
I don't know if these are bad names, but they are unusual.

My older brother is named Merlan.

My name is Sherman. And through most of my childhood I was nicknamed George. I don't even know how that one came about.

Shroom, I can top you on this one.

My middle name is Sherman. Yes, Sherman. And I'm female. Sherman is my mother's maiden name. However, I got lucky. Mom admitted after Dad had passed away that Dad wanted to give me Sherman as my first name! I have heard of at least two women with that name though.

As for nicknames... I went through high school as "Sherm." My economics teacher senior year even forgot my given name on a regular basis. There are a few people who still call me Sherm, over 20 years later.

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 13:55      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a kid whose first name on his library card was - Chewbacca. We also had a Thundar (sp) like the cartoon.

My dad wanted to name me Ludmilla after a character in a book. My mom said she didn't care that the book won an award. So I am Elizabeth, whew

Greygirl, is your family Scots? The more strongly Scots side of my dad's family does the maiden name thing and I thought it came from there.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 14:13      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
Shroom, I can top you on this one.

Yes you did. I bow down to you.  -

quote:
There are a few people who still call me Sherm, over 20 years later.
I do on occasion still get called Sherm, Though my given nickname is still to this day Shroom.

Though there are some names I get called on a regular basis that should not be repeated here. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2474 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 15:08      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone dug this thread back up out of the graveyard, I might as well participate [Wink]

Worked with a Michael Hunt for 6 months in the UK, he insisted we call him Michael and not Mike.

School Joke:
Q: "What is Short, Sharp and Brown?"
A: "Three quarters of the physics department."

Although I always remember one seminar at my school where one teacher turned up to find he had been placed in a group with 'Sharp, Crook and Robb.'

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 15:19      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:

But Ygraine... Even in French, that's ugly, plus open to so many bad jokes, as it could be translated Y-seed. Now I'll have to forget that's a name...

Yeah that could definitely be the begining of many REALLY bad and offensive jokes... /me Remembers Québec and it's poetic if not acerbic insults.... I put them to use from time to time, I even translate an re-arange them for english use....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1151 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Koeniou
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3024

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2004 16:59      Profile for Koeniou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If i was a boy i'd be called Sherman Michael. Instead i'm Jessica Lee (Lee after the General i believe) and Sherman was going to be after the tank. Though i waw almost Victoria Elizabeth, but thats cool- at least its royal)

My parents had a competition for the name of my younger sister. If she was over 10 pounds when she was born, my dad wanted to call her Matilda (after, yep, another tank). Instead she was just under so my mum named her Kirsten Elizabeth.

But the best (or worst) name i heard was when i was helping at a kis holiday program, and this poor boy in grade 1 was named Spare.

There is also the guy at school called Elton Cheong (which sounds like Elton John over the loud speaker) and Britney Housten.

Posts: 10 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 09:43      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
We had a kid whose first name on his library card was - Chewbacca. We also had a Thundar (sp) like the cartoon.

I know of someone who named her boy / girl twins Luke and Leia, and I have a friend who has met Indiana Jones.

quote:
Greygirl, is your family Scots? The more strongly Scots side of my dad's family does the maiden name thing and I thought it came from there.

My paternal grandmother was English and either Scots or Welsh (we're not sure which, but I'd love to find out). My twin sister has that grandmother's maiden name (Sage) as a middle name. I have heard that the maiden name thing is a "British" custom, so maybe you're right. I tried googling it, but didn't come up with anything. Perhaps one of our lovely Brits could fill us in?
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 10:12      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I know of someone who named her boy / girl twins Luke and Leia, and I have a friend who has met Indiana Jones.

"We named the Dog Indiana"

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 11:49      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
quote:

"We named the Dog Indiana"
Yup. But this one walked into a Radio Shack and the counterperson wouldn't believe the kid's name until he showed ID.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 16:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:

Worked with a Michael Hunt for 6 months in the UK, he insisted we call him Michael and not Mike.

A guy at work tells me he worked with one such individual, who was a musician or something. One day, at some kind of event, this old lady went ahead and announced him as he came on stage, and well, she turned the formally written notes into the more informal version without having any realization about it...*groan*.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 02, 2004 18:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooohhh!!! I had to say that one in my head a few times before I got it. Mike Hunt... definitely a name to be yelled out the front door at dinnertime when calling an errant son to come home for his meal.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 18:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Oooohhh!!! I had to say that one in my head a few times before I got it. Mike Hunt... definitely a name to be yelled out the front door at dinnertime when calling an errant son to come home for his meal.

How about when he shows up 5 minutes late, with his girlfriend? [evil]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 22:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Jeeze, anyone who would choose a name from ancient british mythology must be mad.

Well, that particular uncle of mine is a bit eccentric. And I think he also liked that her initials spell out the first four letters of "maybe."

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture