homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » QI with Stephen Fry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: QI with Stephen Fry
steampunkgrrrl
Geek Larva
Member # 38567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2011 09:01      Profile for steampunkgrrrl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any of you have not caught this show, I suggest you do so. The seasons are divided by letters, which control the theme of the show, i.e., series "A" will have shows centered around something that begins with the letter "A."

You can type this into YouTube search engines and end up with hilarious results.

[Big Grin]

P.S., this is what a MENSA meeting looks like. [Razz]

--------------------
A Steampunk's Musings

Posts: 25 | From: Northwest Ohio | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2011 13:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fun show, but don't assume the 'facts' they present are reliable, I've picked them up on a few errors.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2011 23:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that show, but being a TV show, they are not always correct.

Not to say they don'tr have sources for every fact that S.F. gives out. You can look up their sources.

I did once and I found some of the sources they use to be unreliable.

I would love to give an expample, but I think this was a book about facts they quoted on the show that I was reading at a bookstore, and didn't end up buying, so, that would make this post unreliable.

but,

really, BEWARE its a TV show and not a peer revied journal. They don't even look for two sources as a newspaper would do.

They have made some really unsubstantiated claims.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
steampunkgrrrl
Geek Larva
Member # 38567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2011 02:48      Profile for steampunkgrrrl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes...I wasn't posting it as a source for research, just for fun...I would hope that no one actually used it as a source in a paper or such. I can see it now: "Carvaggio didn't try to murder him, he was trying to cut off his balls." (Fry)

But, I agree with the above posts. If you're going to use a source for research, don't rely on any TV show unless you know for sure that it's a documentary type (History Channel, Science Channel, etc.) and that they did their research first.

And for chrissake's, don't use Wikipedia. *rolling eyes* It can be good in some cases, but remember, ANYONE can go in there and change something around, as long as they seem to know what they're talking about.

--------------------
A Steampunk's Musings

Posts: 25 | From: Northwest Ohio | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2011 03:11      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steampunkgrrrl:
And for chrissake's, don't use Wikipedia. *rolling eyes* It can be good in some cases, but remember, ANYONE can go in there and change something around, as long as they seem to know what they're talking about.

Wiki does have it's uses, but you need to take it with the pinch of salt you're describing. I usually chase Wiki's references if it's important.

Ha, I mark for a degree-level course, and always tell the students not to use Wiki as a sole source, let alone copy directly from there. Regardless, I've lost count of the number of "I didn't plagiarize" arguments I've got into over finding intact hyperlinks, or on three occasions "[citation needed]", in the middle of their work...

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2011 06:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right / wrong -- who cares. It's a fun show and Stephen Fry is an awesome nerd-o-phile celeb who makes geeky things seem interesting to a general audience... for which we should be thankful, as it make nerds look cool... sorta.
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2011 06:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:
Originally posted by steampunkgrrrl:

Wiki does have it's uses, but you need to take it with the pinch of salt you're describing. I usually chase Wiki's references if it's important.

Ha, I mark for a degree-level course, and always tell the students not to use Wiki as a sole source, let alone copy directly from there. Regardless, I've lost count of the number of "I didn't plagiarize" arguments I've got into over finding intact hyperlinks, or on three occasions "[citation needed]", in the middle of their work...

/me just had a horrible idea - tweak the article after using it...
[/evil]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture