homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Caprica thoughts, (and a giveaway!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Caprica thoughts, (and a giveaway!)
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 20, 2009 09:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We watched the premiere episode of Caprica last night on DVD.

SYNOPSIS
Set 50 years before Battlestar Galactica, Caprica follows two rival families and their patriarchs – Daniel Graystone (Eric Stoltz) and Joseph Adama (Esai Morales) – as they compete and thrive in the vibrant world of the 12 Colonies, a society recognizably close to our own. Enmeshed in the burgeoning technology of artificial intelligence and robotics that will eventually lead to the creation of the Cylons, the two houses go toe-to-toe blending action with corporate conspiracy and sexual politics.

I had a love/hate relationship with Battlestar Gallactica... loved the action, less so the kissy kissy, babies, religion, and Baltar storylines.

Unfortunately for me, Caprica seems to be focusing on the soap... and it tries a little too hard to be relevant to our own times, with a terrorist subplot I thought was really forced.

I'm also not a fan of the "genius kid who develops something entirely new that amazes the adults" storyline (ala Wesley Crusher). There's one here, and it's all too much of a leap of faith for me. You know, sometimes it's better if you leave things un-explained.

There were a couple pieces of tech I thought were neat... there's a sheet-of-paper computer interface that was really fun to watch in use... and a butler robot that reminded me a bit of the Specter/Lucifer robots in the original series.

So, all in all, I was not terrifically impressed with Caprica, but being the nerd that I am, I will no doubt watch this show religiously when it does appear on TV in a few months. [Big Grin]

OH, and if you are interested, we will be giving away the DVD!
Just post in this thread, and I will randomly select a winner in a few days. (One post per person only!)

Edit... we have a winner, and it is Stibbons! yay!

Just be warned, there are boobies and scenes of a sexual nature in this DVD version, so if you are under 18, don't watch this with your mom or your mom's cylon. [Smile]

Check out the official site, with lots of video over at http://www.capricadvd.com/

Posts: 7826 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 10:14      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You had me at boobies! But seriously, I have not watched the new BSG but plan on getting the complete series at some point.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 10:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should have opened with boobies.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 10:17      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still undecided over the last episode of BSG.... So now, Caprica...
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 11:16      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still haven't gotten around to watching the finale of BSG, but I can't resist a shot at seeing the spin-off.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 11:42      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm slowly working me way through BSG, so the offer of a free prequal interests me... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1133 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 20, 2009 21:27      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, any gift is welcome [Big Grin]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 04:21      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boobs, sexual nature, and sci-fi....Oh MY!!!

I'm feeling lucky....

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2009 05:10      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in! I saw the boobies and thought, hah?, but this is the unrated/uncut version -- the TV show will be tamer. I'm sure it was all a ploy to hold our attention until the real action begins!
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2009 11:37      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
I had a love/hate relationship with Battlestar Gallactica... loved the action, less so the kissy kissy, babies, religion, and Baltar storylines.

Baltar was awesome at least up through his trial. What did you think of the ending, Snaggy?
Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BJE
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4498

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2009 18:12      Profile for BJE         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rarely post, often read the forums, but I can't resist this. I can't say I'm all that surprised to read Snaggy's lukewarm review. Spin-offs often don't work as well as the original. Combine that with the fact that we know how this all works out and, well, we've got Stars Eps 1-3.

Still, if the writing is strong, it's got a shot. My wife and I will give it shot, but I'm not that hopeful that it will be as good as BSG rebooted.

Posts: 2 | From: Canada, eh. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 24, 2009 09:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OKie dokie, let me wind this up and head on over to random.org to find a winner.... back in a sec...
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 24, 2009 09:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stibbons snags the DVD!

Congrats... send me your mailing address and it will ship Monday. :-)

[Applause]

and for the rest of you... better random.org luck next time!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.