homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Cinderella - you will go to the ball!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cinderella - you will go to the ball!
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 17:23      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First I would like to apologise to you all for my foolishness in getting sucked into a stupid argument here with someone else's mad alternate universe, and being a rather embarrassing clever dick, and spreading the bad atmosphere. I'll ignore him from now on. Sorry everyone else.

Back to our regularly scheduled transmissions. I hate reality TV. Of all the reality TV formats, the one I hate most is the talent show, which is the worst sort of victim TV. Above all I cannot stand talent shows with singers. The material is generally either glitzy showtunes, or over the top "power" ballads, and the crowd pleasing performances are crass and sentimental, with rococo levels of vocal over ornamentation to disguise the lack of any real soul or feeling.

Despite all that, this still got to me. It is that Cinderella moment, and yes, she does go to the ball.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 17:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is anyone surprised?
Don't they know all Scots are hugely talented? [Wink]

A lovely video, even though it's probably staged.

The judges obvious, impolite skepticism based on her appearance, then jaw-agape surprise at her performance, was just a little too much for me to believe. The contestants have auditioned _before_ they go on TV, so the judges would have known what to expect.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 16, 2009 22:15      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was impressed by her performance, maybe the judges knew already of her talent but I don't know about the public. I may confess Paul Potts' performance made me cry even more than this [hearts]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 00:01      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree that the judges, or people working on the show knew how well she could sing.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 07:10      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting, Calli, she has a lovely voice and it was pleasure to listen.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 11:00      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Happytears] [thumbsup] Absolutely beautiful!

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 14:46      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure the judges reactions were staged - I really can't imagine Simon Cowell attending the dreadful palaver that would constitute the first round of auditions.

Seeing the audience on its feet when only the first few lines had been sung was very moving... and seeing the joy on Ms Boyle's face was wonderful.

If we are brutally honest, her lower range is weak and the vibrato needs reining in but, give her some voice lessons over the next few months and the singing on her Christmas CD will be more than good enough to compete with the big names.

Well done girl, you are a star. [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 15:23      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Grum, it is part of the well worn formula of these shows that in the initial round, the judges see some really terrible acts. I have no idea whether she was vetted before she walked on stage but at that point she looked like any of half a dozen other self deluded victims served up for us to chortle and jeer at and feel superior to (ugh!), so I buy their surprise completely. You could feel her nerves calm down too, when she realised it was going OK, she brought that vibrato under control, and just sang it simply.

The important thing about the Cinderella myth is knowing when to end the story. You don't want see Cinderella five years down the line, as she is up to her elbows in nappies and washing up and the fatter balder Prince Not Quite So Charming Anymore's eyes have started wandering.

Likewise I have a slight feeling of sadness because I suspect that was her moment. The song fit her voice and her story perfectly. Whatever she does now, whether or not she has some success, nothing will ever equal the surprise knockout blow she gave that audience then. But how marvellous to have had that moment.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 16:36      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something had been bugging me about the way this whole thing was received, but I couldn't put my finger quite on it until now. I'm not a very eloquent writer, so I'll let Dennis Palumbo say it for me.

quote:
What if Susan Boyle Couldn't Sing?

Like millions of viewers, I was thrilled and moved when 47-year-old Susan Boyle wowed the judges and audience on Britain's Got Talent with her superb singing. As everyone knows by now, the unmarried, "never been kissed" woman from a small village was greeted by both the audience and the talent show's judges with derision when she first took the stage. Looking matronly in her somewhat frumpy dress and unkempt hair, her appearance initially elicited smug, condescending and even cruel smirks, smiles and chuckles. What could this "un-cool," plain-spoken woman have to offer? What right did she have to share the stage with all those young, pretty, talented people?

Then Susan opened her mouth and sang. And her voice was so powerful, so achingly beautiful, so full of yearning, that even the usually heartless Simon Cowell was blown away. As were the other judges, and the audience, all of whom gave Susan a standing ovation. And now, online and elsewhere, Susan's voice, and the story of her triumph on that stage, are known throughout the world.

There's even news of a record contract, and the odds-makers who track these things believe she's the current favorite to win the competition. More tellingly, everyone is talking and blogging about her "inner beauty," and how Susan reminds us that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover, etc.

I'm happy for her. She appears to be a solid, decent person for whom, God knows, some good luck is long overdue.

But I can't help wondering, what would have been the reaction if Susan Boyle couldn't sing?

What would the judges and the audience have thought, and said, had her voice been a creaky rasp, or an out-of-tune shriek? Would she still possess that "inner beauty?" Would we still acknowledge that the derisive treatment she received before performing was callous, insensitive and cruel?

The unspoken message of this whole episode is that, since Susan Boyle has a wonderful talent, we were wrong to judge her based on her looks and demeanor. Meaning what? That if she couldn't sing so well, we were correct to judge her on that basis? That demeaning someone whose looks don't match our impossible, media-reinforced standards of beauty is perfectly okay, unless some mitigating circumstance makes us re-think our opinion?

Personally, I'm gratified that her voice inspires so many, and reminds us of our tendency to judge and criticize based on shallow externals of beauty. What I mean is, I'm glad for her.

But I have no doubt that, had she performed poorly, Simon Cowell would be rolling his eyes still. And the audience would have hooted and booed with the relish of Roman spectators at the Colosseum. And that Susan Boyle's appearance on the show would still be on YouTube, but as an object of derision and ridicule.

So let's not be too quick to congratulate ourselves for taking her so fully to our hearts. We should've done that anyway, as we should all those we encounter who fall outside the standards of youth and beauty as promulgated by fashion magazines, gossip sites, and hit TV shows.

We should've done that anyway, before Susan Boyle sang a single note.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 17:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________ TMBWITW,PB __ Some people like to be smug, and I for one love when they get their come uppence. Can she SING, Lord yes, She is one of those people gifted with truly awe inspiring tonal ability. Record deals or not the world took notice of a shy Scot this week.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 17:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Susan Boyles's earliest known recording. It's ten years old. That performance on the talent show? That wasn't a once off. She's got the kind of talent that you can appreciate without knowing squat about music.

She made a big debut, but she's good. You could drink that voice. It's unfortunate she didn't get her moment to step from the shadows until now, but I hope she isn't permitted to fade away. I youtubed some recordings of Les Mis performances and she did a better job with "I Dreamed a Dream" than the pros playing Fantine!

I want more!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 18:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fixed Xanthines broken link

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 03:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ Hi Yall Again __ Too much of the music (record bosses) industry is about image,

Myself when the sound is good I close my eyes, I do not want a video to spoil what I am hearing, because of this trait I try not to listen to music while driving.

I have noticed that about every 5-7 years a voice will come along and blow everyones socks off.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2009 05:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

She did it again.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2009 13:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

She did it again.

What?

You mean Susan Boyle is really Britney Spears?

Wow, I knew her career had hit the skids, but making a comeback under an alias, that's weird. [Eek!]

10/10 for the fake Scots accent though, far more convincing than that Canadian guy on Star Trek.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2009 14:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________The Famous Druid ____________

Britney Spears Can't sing and only knows how to bump and grind. Close your eyes when she is singing and there is no voice. Madonna for all of her bump and grind can sing, Charlotte Church has a voice, Ferret face is very care full to pick works she can fake her way through, Susan Boyle picks hard stuff to sing and then does them.

The story I heard is that the people at the pub she sometimes does Kareoke at put in her app.

Yes it is her day in the Sunlight. I could just put on my headphones and go to sleep listening.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2009 14:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was a bit rough in the opening. But she got past that and...wow. I love that voice.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2009 14:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________- Me Thinks ___________

She needs confidence lessens, once she gets over the jitters and starts to really sing the quality of her voice really shows,

______________The Famous Druid ________

Sorry about that, I missed the tongue-in-cheek.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture