homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » A couple of word games for your enjoyment...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A couple of word games for your enjoyment...
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 20, 2007 10:37      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny Farm word association puzzle
This has been around for a while so you may have seen it, but it was brought to my attention yesterday by the b3ta newsletter. Warning: it's addictive.

In a 5x5 grid, you start in one section by associating words with "on the farm." Each correct answer reveals paths to other words to be guessed, each border word answered spider-webs out to open adjoining sections of the grid. There is a puzzle within the puzzle, clues are revealed as you move through the sections.

I thought you lovely GCers would like it because the puzzle is set up so that you can collaborate - it says that no mortal can complete it alone. Games can be saved by either enabling cookies for the site or copying a unique URL; there is also a slot to enter a URL to combine games.

Also from b3ta - they're getting all smarty-pants this week [Razz] - here's a vocabulary quiz you might like...correct answers create food donations to an international relief agency.
Free Rice

"Click on the answer that best defines the word.
If you get it right, you get a harder word. If wrong, you get an easier word.
For each word you get right, we donate 10 grains of free rice to help end world hunger.
WARNING: This game may make you smarter. It may improve your speaking, writing, thinking, grades, job performance..."

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 12:35      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm addicted to the first one. My boyfriend and I have been playing nonstop. We've got 12 blocks open. Yay!

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2007 18:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sosumi...groovy on the Free Rice! I've kept that tab open for the past 2 days and go back to it from time to time...'tis good for a bit of a word/crossword junkie. [Big Grin]

Of course, the thing I really took (at the time) from last week's newsletter is this:
http://www.eyegas.com/cubiclefreakout/

...far less intellectual. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2007 21:50      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My roommate and I have been playing the word association game for the past two days. Holy crap! I have never seen us work so hard on something together. We're kind of stuck right now, but hopefully with all the people that are going to be in and out this weekend we'll get some help.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2007 00:04      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dm - I missed that one, as I liked the entry about making "prison wine" so much that I had to read the rest of the "Steve - don't eat that!" blog, half laughing, half gagging! [Razz]

By the way people, I found a write up on the funny farm puzzle - it seems some of the associations are really out in left field, more like out of the park! Forgive the baseball analogy, but it's pretty hard to not think of baseball in Boston this week. Go Sox! [Big Grin] Don't forget that you can send your unique URLs to other people (or post here) to get help.

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture