homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Vintage PC Gamers: The Underdogs!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vintage PC Gamers: The Underdogs!
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 21:53      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an old link but you may have not known of it, a website called http://www.the-underdogs.info/ provides an archive of software with reviews of vintage games. Any geek should learn to enjoy the roots of gaming. It's quite a geeky thing to do so!

There are some legal complications with the above link, I suggest you read the FAQ to understand what I'm talking about. I assume these forums have policies that shun the soliciting of "warez" sites, but I truly believe "abandonware" is a gray area exception (even if it does not pass in the courts) and the Underdogs do try hard to discontinue distribution on games the publisher asks them to stop on.

With this note, I will tell you which games I enjoy and recommend!

Stunts was one of the first awesome 3d racing games I ever played. Own it. love it. Make tracks. Gain super speed and do crazy stuff. Download available at The Underdogs.

"Ascendancy is an ambitious space strategy game that is full of innovative ideas." This game in my opinion rocks due to it's technology lines and Civilizations like system of planetary expansion. Download available at the Underdogs.

SubCulture is an underwater sub simulation game. This game was REALLY fun back in the day I remember a demo being available on a PC Gamer disc (back when demo discs were full of interesting games) and it still is a lot of fun. You can buy it for 19.99, I wonder if the demo is available somewhere still? Awesome game. Oh yeah, Wiki wins! A demo version of Sub Culture can be found at Gamespot and 3DGamers.

Star Trek 25th Anniversary is hands down one of my most favorite Star Trek games. The death music still scares me!!! And the Ship fighting is still difficult for me! Download available at The Underdogs.

Return Fire is a REALLY cool multiplayer "rts action" as I call it style game. You may remember it, two flags, a small arsenal of helicopters, tanks, jeeps, the enemy mirroring your troops.. going over and destroying... the music, the classical music of greatness while playing this... Download available at The Underdogs.

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 21:56      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please delete since I can't and people are complaining.

--------------------

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 21:58      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 22:01      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 22:04      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 22:06      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 06:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay... now you're just whoring for post count. Please stop.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 06:21      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear god! this couldn't be all one post? has someone told this kid that post count has little to no clout here, and its all about member number -- and he's pretty much screwed there.
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 07:49      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errr. If posting has no count then why are you two complaining about me splitting posts? I thought it made things more readable.

Here. I'll fix the problem, sheesh.

You two didn't even commented about the topic. [Frown]

--------------------

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 08:04      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slack User:
Errr. If posting has no count then why are you two complaining about me splitting posts? And thanks for telling me I'm screwed Business Attire. I'm newbie, and could seriously care less about rating all I care about is passing information and learning.

Here. I'll fix the problem, sheesh.

It just considered better around here to concentrate your ideas in a single post, especially since you can edit it if you forgot something - or just want to restate your thoughts in a better way. Many posts in a row has been associated with forum marketing, and is usually frown upon. (The odd occurence - like a double post or a newbie commenting on different posts in a row will be tolerated, though.)

quote:
Originally posted by Slack User:
You two didn't even commented about the topic. [Frown]

That happens - people say what they have to say, and a thread can go far away from its original topic without anyone complaining.

As for me, I already knew about that underdog site, but I finally found "Mac Manager" (still can't play it, though, as I would need an older Mac than the ones I have) "Colonization" isn't that good anymore, and I don't care enough about other oldies to spend time looking for them on abandonware sites.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 08:09      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pssssssst check your PMs if you haven't already, love.

I sent you a nice long list of other things that people find annoying around here [Smile]

or I could dig up the topic that was created when boo first arrived and pissed everybody to hell.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 22, 2007 12:04      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biz, I could use that list too!
Though I've been here half a year, I don't know it all.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 12:58      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alright, youngun, I've done it.

just about everything I've said is pretty much straight from these old boo threads:

http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000138#000000
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000720#000003

(sorry, boo, for using you as an example!!)

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 17:45      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to clear up some of the rules since it seems this place either has a lot of unwritten laws or I'm getting misinformation... Going to private messages to make no drama of it. It is my 3rd day after all.

Thanks for your help Business Attire.

--------------------

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 18:39      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been waiting for one of the new members to get harped on by one of the more regular members.

First thing i got to say to Slack is not to worry about this. When I first came here I made the mistake of asking for where I could find a certain piece of software for free. You will quickly learn about the unwritten rules. There aren't that many and most follow the same rules which are on many of the other forums out there. But the first post was fine - just the half the dozen after gives members a reason to argue.

Business ___ member number?? so as member 5114 I'm more important then you as member 6102. And Steen kicks my ass as member 170 ???

Oh Slack thats another thing, your post count dosn't matter. Because as you might have notiched there are a couple of games on this forum and it is pretty easy to get a high post count by just posting one word posts to the game. So some people might have been here for a month or two and half a really high count but just have been playing the game. Its all about quality.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 20:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I won't pretend to speak for anyone else but what annoyed me was that I saw a topic with five responses and thought I would see a discussion. Instead, I saw what should have been one post. It was annoying, yes, but not really enough to warrant this much drama. My comment, like almost everything I post, was flippant and halfway joking (although it apparently didn't come across that way).

Second, I don't think anyone pays attention to member number any more than they do to post count. The most valued members of the GC community are typically the ones who consistently add most interesting posts.

Now... about those unwritten rules...

The unwritten rules are, for the most part, unwritten because they aren't rules. They shouldn't be rules, either. The list of them is more of a list of personal annoyances that are shared by a number of members.

If we do have an unwritten rule, it is that we appreciate decent writing. This is a important thing to know. Your posts don't have to be perfect (and so far they've been fine), but substituting "u" for "u", 1337 speak and other such abuses of the English language will get you ignored/flamed.

Necroposting. This annoys a number of members. Personally, I couldn't care less, but it is something to avoid... especially if all you're adding is an "LOL" or "me too" type post.

Posting overly large images or long lines of text using code tags. These break the word wrapping for all the posts in a topic page and force everyone to scroll horizontally to read all the posts.

Content. GC is mostly a PG-13 rated site with some excursions into innuendo that would get an R rating. Cursing and posting NSFW material (linking with a warning is okay) will offend a lot of the members.

Other than that, just go with normal rules of politeness. Almost none of this is about rules. Mostly it's just about not annoying your virtual neighbors in the GC community.

... somehow that community analogy just doesn't work there, but I can't think of anything better so blah.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 20:46      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Steen, hurray for a forum that makes sense. Now I feel more inclined to stay here.

--------------------

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 20:49      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Steen - I would just like to add to the decent writting part that its best to keep the starting topic post to a couple paragraphs and any further posts to a paragraph'ish. It all depends on the topic but in general we don't want to read a novel. As well make sure the title of the topic is informative. You have so far been doing an excelent job in fitting into GC as well as the several other new members.

Congrats [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture