homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Books? O.o

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Books? O.o
wittylikeacid
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 17:06      Profile for wittylikeacid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like it's just me, but no one else i've ever spoken to seems to have ever read ANYTHING by George R.R. Martin. So now that i've found somewhere to be surrounded by geekness, i thought i'd ask. :-)

-W.

Posts: 16 | From: maryland | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 19:23      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope - sorry never heard of the guy

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 20:30      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried reading A Game of Thrones, but I haven't been able to get into it. Got any others I should try?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
wittylikeacid
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 23:47      Profile for wittylikeacid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**sigh** shame, um...Golden Compass? have you tried those? they're really good. By Phillip Pullman, i believe.
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 11, 2007 00:42      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why yes I have. I'm kind of waiting for the zombie action to kick in after about four books. I do like the political intrigue though - passes the time - so overall the books got a thumbs-up from me.

I got into this series quite early so then I had to wait for all the books to come out one by one and that kills the pace - maybe Stephen King was right with his serialised book experiment? It sure kept the pace up.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 05:49      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love his stuff. I've been trying to wait patiently for the next book but ... I'm not all that patient :/

My main char in WoW is a troll priestess named - Ygritte [Smile] .

Yea, so, I'm a fantasy geek :/

--------------------
Great friendships can only exist between equals

Posts: 68 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 07:34      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do know who George R R Martin is.

George R R Martins books are like he is in real life. Huge TOMES of data. A typical martin book is about 1000+ pages.

Mr. Martin is also a notorious party goer at conventions. You will see him a various parties including the ASFA an SFWA parties.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1151 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
wittylikeacid
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 09:49      Profile for wittylikeacid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yay! yeah the political intrigue totally blows my mind. especially in the second book when Tyroin does all the plotting that he does. so far i must say, i love the Lannisters. i'm in Storm of Swords right now. I heard Martin is almost done the fifth book, so, that should be out sometime relativly soon. Soon being like within the next year. :\
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 10:20      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wittylikeacid:
**sigh** shame, um...Golden Compass? have you tried those? they're really good. By Phillip Pullman, i believe.

Actually, I meant to ask if Mr. Martin has any other books I ought to check out. I've only seen the Game of Thrones series. But thanks for the other recommend. A lot of other people at the bookstore tell me those are great too. And I think a movie is coming out in the winter. [Cool]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
wittylikeacid
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 13:37      Profile for wittylikeacid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:

Actually, I meant to ask if Mr. Martin has any other books I ought to check out. I've only seen the Game of Thrones series. But thanks for the other recommend. A lot of other people at the bookstore tell me those are great too. And I think a movie is coming out in the winter. [Cool] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Oh, ok. haha. Yeah Martin has alot of other stuff, but i haven't read any of it. i kind of got hooked on the Game of Thrones series. yeah, i saw the preview for the Golden Compass and that excites my soul. [crazy]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture