homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » I'm not tough enough to live here.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm not tough enough to live here.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 03:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All________________________Sunday morning the Mrs. and I drove over to the Perchville festival in Tawas. This festival is held every first weekend in Feb. The air temps were in the single digits with a good wind chill. One of the events is a Polar Bear swim, out on the ice of Tawas bay, now is where I become a wuus. the young female entrants out number the males and then stay in the water longer, are they ever tough. That is how I know that I am not tough enough to live here. On the way back we came upon the ground hog frozen stiff beside the road. So much for spring just around the corner.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 05:35      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was -40C here yesterday. You'd die if you pulled a stunt like that here (Winnipeg)!
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 05:53      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn! You beat us. Our windchill was only about -32C.

BRRR!

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 06:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mel & BooBooKitty___________________________Actually the water temp would be the same as at the surface or just under the ice it is 0C or 32F. However run the math and you will find that one alcohol freeses and both C and F temps cross at -40 cool huh.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 06:31      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either way, it's fuggin' cold! [Razz]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 10:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mel & BooBooKitty________________I forgot to mention that there was a tent over the hole (big tent) for those that paid to see. This would have made it quite a bit more tolerable, except for the water temp. also the spectators had heat.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2007 11:10      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
It was -40C here yesterday. You'd die if you pulled a stunt like that here (Winnipeg)!

Better bundle up, Mel! It looks like more of the same for Winnipeg for the next few days.

(Know you know why I moved west of the Continental Divide.)

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture