homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » The DaVinci Code - The Movie (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The DaVinci Code - The Movie
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted May 20, 2006 17:49      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very very very dumb.

That is all.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2006 08:25      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I went to see the movie with my parents just yesterday.

I was given the book by friends for my 18th birthday almost now one year ago... damned, I am getting old. I started it around Christmas but didn't get far past the first chapter.
But my parents both read the book.
So, we had two who have read the book and one that didn't.

In the end, we all thought that the movie was pretty cool. It never got boring and was exciting and suspenseful.

I found an error though in the movie:
When the bad guy "Silas" got hunted down by the british special forces and shot his bishop, the slide-catch of his pistol caught the gun's slide. Which usually means that the clip is empty and there is no more ammo in the gun to fire.
But those police forces shot him anyway - something "real" policemen wouldn't do.
But anyways =)

We all found it a movie worth seeing that wasn't too bad. My parents said though that the way it ended was better in the book.

I liked it =)

thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2006 13:54      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
When the bad guy "Silas" got hunted down by the british special forces and shot his bishop, the slide-catch of his pistol caught the gun's slide. Which usually means that the clip is empty and there is no more ammo in the gun to fire.
But those police forces shot him anyway - something "real" policemen wouldn't do.
But anyways =)

Is that the kind of thing police would notice in a high-stress situation like that? Especially since Silas starts to point the gun either at them or at himself (it wasn't clear to me). One of the guys I saw it with suggested that maybe that was meant to be suicide-by-cop - as a Catholic, he couldn't commit suicide, but figured it'd be okay somehow if he got someone else to shoot him.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2006 14:14      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is that the kind of thing police would notice in a high-stress situation like that?
Quite frankly, yes.
Special force policemen are trained to deal with super-high-stress situations and only those who are able to withstand stress and still perform well is chosen to be a policeman to do such operations.
Identifying a target as a thread involves checking if the gun is ready to fire. A slide that is still back is a *very* clear sign - and easy to see as well.

--------------------

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2006 19:54      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Is that the kind of thing police would notice in a high-stress situation like that?
Quite frankly, yes.
Special force policemen are trained to deal with super-high-stress situations and only those who are able to withstand stress and still perform well is chosen to be a policeman to do such operations.
Identifying a target as a thread involves checking if the gun is ready to fire. A slide that is still back is a *very* clear sign - and easy to see as well.

Should notice, yes. Would notice ... eh, maybe. Shit happens.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 03:00      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and that's why not one, but three of the cops fired. LOL
Either that, or simply an error [Smile]

Thomas

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 05:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This is the same police force who wrestled a brazilian man to the ground and fired several shots into him at point blank range in the belief that he was an arab suicide bomber.
/me thinks you over-estimate the average cops powers of observation.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 09:20      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, no comment ^^

--------------------

Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 10:07      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not read the book, but I did see "Breaking The Davinchi Code" or something like that on the discovery channel... I think. It may have been the history channel, though.
Anyways, it just showed how everything in the book was wrong. I have no interest in seeing the movie whatsoever.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
David Rogers
Mini Geek
Member # 1373

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 10:48      Profile for David Rogers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Davinci code is a work of fiction. I don't see why everyone gets so exorcised about it. I read the book and plan to watch the movie. Now, if the Christian community wants to take issue with the ideas that the novels plot revolves around I would direct them to the authors of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". That book presents the central idea adopted by The Davinci Code as if were historical fact supplying evidence that the authors say supports their claim. The one is a work of fiction designed to entertain, the other is a scholarly work intended to challenge core Christian beliefs. It seems to me that the anger aimed at The Davinci Code is misdirected.

I enjoyed the book, though I find Dan Brown's novels to be a bit predictable, but I haven't seen the movie and therefore cannot comment on the merits of the movie itself.

Posts: 66 | From: Champaign IL USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 11:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the book.

It seemed to me like a weak execution of a good idea. One of the biggest issues I had with it, other than Dan Brown's style of prose and utter lack of character development, was the whole set-up. Two people, under some extremely stressful circumstances, manage in one night to solve a puzzle that has eluded historians and seekers for centuries. Riiiight.

It's a page-turner though. I recommend it for air travel or anything else that requires a long wait.

I've heard bad things about the movie, and that surprises me because the book itself was practically written to become a movie. Think about it. We've got a small handful of characters, a very simple plot (it's pretty much just one great big chase) and since it's about art and symbols most of the exposition can be covered visually. I mean geez, this isn't Lord of the Rings. A screen adaptation should be easy.

Nonetheless, even though I think the book is silly and the reviews are terrible, I want to see it, if only because the religious types are so frantic to condemn it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 11:56      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the reviews that I have seen or heard (and the general consensus is, that this is a quite massive turkey) say that much of the problem is that the film follows the book too faithfully, and that the natural plot rhythm of the book with a cliff hanger at the end of each chapter does not transfer easily to film. Maybe it would have been better to make it as a glossy TV multi part serial, like "24".

I have not seen the film so this is only hearsay evidence. [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 12:06      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, many people forget that it is a book that you'd find in a shelf labelled:"fiction"!

The real problem the religious leaders should be facing is, that the entire story that churches and religion tells you is just about as much bullshit and fiction as the book

thomas

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 12:42      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of these days I'll get around to reading the DaVinci Code, but it's not really high on my list of books to read.

I know a number of churches have had to directly address the DaVinci Code because people are reading it and taking the information in there as fact. From what I have heard, Dan Brown himself makes the claim that all of the history he references in his book is factual. Some churches have gotten angry about the novel, but most, in my experience, merely are attempting to refute the historical claims made in it because it has become a relevant issue.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 14:46      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Most of the reviews that I have seen or heard (and the general consensus is, that this is a quite massive turkey) say that much of the problem is that the film follows the book too faithfully, and that the natural plot rhythm of the book with a cliff hanger at the end of each chapter does not transfer easily to film. Maybe it would have been better to make it as a glossy TV multi part serial, like "24".

I have not seen the film so this is only hearsay evidence. [Wink]

Actually, I think this sums up the problem perfectly. I think it was too faithful to the book. Every scene was exactly as I pictured it when reading the book, and I suppose maybe I was looking for something more/else. Instead, it was just hearing the same story over again, except this time, I knew what was happening all along with no surprises to keep things interesting.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
SkyLady
Geek Larva
Member # 2057

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 14:48      Profile for SkyLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Sxeptomaniac hit the nail on the head. Dan Brown is making claims that what he is basing his book on is historical fact. I recently watched a documentary by Tony Robinson called "The real DaVinci code" and it shows Dan Brown in a television interview saying something like "the art, organisations and secret rituals are all real" (can't quite remember the exact phrase). Good documentary btw.
Posts: 21 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 22, 2006 18:18      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed the movie, I did read the book, and overall it was faithful to the book, but because it was so faithful to the book, I found a couple of the minor changes (like the code for the cryptex) to be unnecessary and annoying to some degree. I did however find the Catholics protesting the movie and praying for our souls as we entered to be quite entertaining. [Roll Eyes] As for Dan Brown claiming some of his history is factual, so what? The Titanic really did crash into an iceberg and sink, but I doubt that the movie reflected what really happened. Many works of fiction use historical facts in the story, it helps with the suspension of disbelief, it doesn't mean that things happened exactly as the author writes.
Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 21:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragon34:
As for Dan Brown claiming some of his history is factual, so what? The Titanic really did crash into an iceberg and sink, but I doubt that the movie reflected what really happened. Many works of fiction use historical facts in the story, it helps with the suspension of disbelief, it doesn't mean that things happened exactly as the author writes.

I found a FAQ with a vague idea of Dan Brown's claims of historicity. I also found another quote by Brown:
quote:
I am not the first person to tell the story of Mary Magdalene and the Holy Grail. This idea is centuries old. I am one in a long line of people who has offered up this alternative history. The Da Vinci Code describes history as I have come to understand it through many years of travel, research, reading, interviews, exploration.
However, the main thing is that people are taking The DaVinci Code as fact, no matter what Dan Brown intended, so many churches have felt forced to address it specifically.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 23:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say I'm enjoying the irony of the churches saying
"It's not true, it's just a silly story from a book" [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 04:33      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Calli:

I saw on TV last night (just after the season finale of 24) that the producers of the show wanted to do a series based on the storyline in the Davinci Code... but Dan Brown said no. I do agree, that the book's storyline lends itself much more to a TV series than a movie.

Either way, I'm seeing the movie tonight, so I'll add my opinion of it later.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 10:54      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see the movie, and feel no urge to see it either - bad press about the acting, plus sticking too faithfully to the story (pun intended). So what am I doing here? simply offer my opinion: read "Angels and Demons" instead. I found it more interesting than the DVC, and reading the latter after the former (as it was meant to be), the DVC reeked of recipe even more. A&D had a few weaknesses, sure, but it was more fresh, plus treated the ever continuing question: science and religion - friends or foes? So I thought you may like it.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 23, 2006 11:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've read "Demons & Angels" and really liked it. Actually, I have a copy of it if anyone wants it. Just send me $4 for shipping. I started The DaVinci Code when I was housesitting in Landisville. It took a bit longer to get into than D&A, which is why I didn't finish it before I moved again.

So definitely a [thumbsup] for D&A.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 12:55      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was listening to Mark Belling filling in for rush just a few minutes ago, and he's on a rant about it.

He knows it's a work of fiction too, but he thinks that if someone portayed his father in bad light in a work fiction, then he'd get mad -- and he can't figgure out why portraying Jesus in a light different than reality isn't rubbing more christians the wrong way. He thinks they shouldn't have made the movie.

As a witch who has to suffer through "The Wizard of OZ" comments, the "The Craft" comments, and comments about the "Harry Potter" comments... All I have to say is, 'tis life... It's a story, get over it. Christians, hollywood, fairtales and the like have been telling stories about witches eat children, fly on broom sticks, worship satan and the like for so long that it's hard for people to find anything true about what wichcraft/wicca/magick/paganism really is. That said, I don't mind most of fiction that is advertised as such, because anyone with common sense knows not to believe in them.
<sarcasm type="can't help myself">
The others are christian and enviromentalists...
</sarcasm>

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 13:25      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the movie had three good points. One was that it wasn't a love story. Two people came together, solved a puzzle, and went their separate ways without kissing.

The second is that it makes people think about women's role in the church, and the possibility that the church might be trying to hold back women.

The third is that it was a really upbeat movie about how its ok if god doesn't exist.

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2006 18:20      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... just got back from the movie.... here's my verdict:

I personally liked it, and would recommend it to others. It may not be like the book, but you have to go into it with the mindset that it won't be, and enjoy it for what it is; a movie.

As for the whole error with the gun thing... I'm not sure that it is actually an error (per say)... Real police don't usually carry fully automatic weapons and not wear assault gear... and even if they did, Silas shot two or three of them, and had a gun (loaded, or empty)... meaning probable cause to shoot him.

You'd be amazed at how "training" goes out the window when emotion and adrenalin get involved.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture