homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Hitch Hikers Guide New Series

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hitch Hikers Guide New Series
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2004 14:34      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the blessed Peebs foretold the "New" series of HHG has begun here in the UK on Radio 4. The original HHG began on radio 20 years ago, and it is the perfect medium for this story.

In my opinion the new series is no disappointment, (by which I means it is extremely good). It sounds perhaps slightly dated, but Adams's wit and originality of mind still shine brightly through the years.

If you enjoy Douglas Adams's work I highly recommend that you explore the links on the BBC web site. You also have 2 days to listen to the first episode there before it is replaced.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2004 16:03      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I fortell that? Wow I'm good. [Big Grin] I'll have to listen to it. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 02:33      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait til the next episode... will Marvin ever get off the planet of mattresses? Will Zem ever leave him alone? Why does he keep going 'round in tiny little circles?

Will Lords cricket ground ever be the same??? [Smile]

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 02:37      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers for reminding me to listen Cal [thumbsup] That was great!

/me goes to dig out orginal h2g2 tapes... [Smile]

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 02:57      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops Peebs! on searching the archives I see that that it was the in fact the all seeing Zwilnik that gave us a heads up over this one.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 02:58      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Whoops Peebs! on searching the archives I see that that it was the in fact the all seeing Zwilnik that gave us a heads up over this one.

I think they're both included in my multiple personalities, so it's OK [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nit
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2690

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 04:02      Profile for nit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SPOILER

the Krikkters did it!

/SPOILER

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 05:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The story line in the new series is even more unbelievable than before.

I mean, really, England beating Australia in The Ashes?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
knightwhosaysNI
Geek
Member # 2079

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 06:08      Profile for knightwhosaysNI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at least you can listen to that stuff, the only way I can do that is convince mummy to get Broadband and put a radio tuner on my pc.

or get a shortband radio, what's the freqency?

--------------------
Eating Tv dinners sitting by the pool
arent' you glad we finished school?

Posts: 176 | From: forest with trees | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dadaist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 18:13      Profile for dadaist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly shortband radio won't be sufficent. The radio broadcasts are only going out over BBC Radio 4, which really only covers the UK (but you might be able to get it nearby...)

Keep in mind everyone, Episode 1 is already gone for later downloading, Episode 2 is only up until October 7th, and Episode 3 will be up the 7th-14th (with 4, 5 and 6) going online in subsequent weeks.

I'm surprised nobody's YET pointed out that A) Not only can you listen to a rebroadcast of the Thursday re-airing on bbc.co.uk/radio4 complete with continuity announcements, but they ALSO have 5.1 broadcasts (NO I'M NOT kidding - it actually works) in Windows Media and RealPlayer formats. Both of these work great on a PC with 5.1 speakers - no idea about on a Mac (or Linux or *BSD), sorry!

Oh and B) amazon.co.uk is taking preorders for "The Tertiary Phase" - a NEW 3 CD set...which will be released after episode 6 (or fit the 18th) is broadcast, natch.

Posts: 32 | From: Chicago area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 19:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, not wanting to sound like I condone illegal file-sharing or anything, but a little birdie told me that the entire 'tertiary phase' (including the not-yet broadcast eps) is available on bittorrent, check your favourite bittorrent site for details.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture