homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » The Clean Air Concert!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Clean Air Concert!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 18, 2004 10:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night my brother treated Nitrozac and I to a fantabulous rock show... The Clean Air Concert! The line up included Randy Bachman, Barenaked Ladies, and ... whoa... Neil Young! [Eek!]

-

The event was a benefit concert for the Crofton Airshed Citizens Group, who are trying to raise the money to do an independent scientific assessment of the Crofton airshed. In short, there is a stinky, polluting mill near the town, and this group is trying to find out what exactly is in the smoke, and what can be done to clean up the mill so it can operate cleaner.

Guest speakers included (my hero) David Suzuki, and also on hand was Tal Bachman, son of Randy, who had a hit with "She's So High"

We had great seats, and the performances were wonderful. Some of my personal highlights included...
  • All of Randy Bachman's set... he and his band were excellent, cool too was the between-song banter about how he and Burton Cumming came up with the ideas for such great songs as "Let it Ride" and "No Sugar".
  • Neil Young opening with "Pocahontas". wow. I had tears in my eyes listening to this haunting and beautiful lament. [Happytears]
    His performance was all accoustic, he was surrounded by about 7 different guitars and a banjo, and he also played piano. His wife Peggy joined him for much of the set, singing gorgeous harmony to such classics as Harvest Moon, Comes a Time, Goin' back, and Four Strong Winds. It was like hearing him perform the Comes a Time album circa the late 70's.
  • The Barenaked Ladies gave a rousing performance.. my highlight was their opener "The Roadrunner Theme" and a hilarious version of BTO's You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, (performed by my old singing buddy Tyler Stewart), and bonus... Bachman joined them on stage and played along. It was a great moment, and seeing the Ladies so thrilled to be singing with Bachman was cool too.

Lots of great moments... Thanks again to my brother who lined up for 6 hours to get these tickets and for treating us to this fabulous night. Our eyes popped out of their sockets when he handed us our tickets and we saw how much they were... holy! [Eek!] ...but it all went for a great cause! [Smile]

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 18, 2004 12:02      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup] Wish I could have been there. Neil's has been quoted as saying he's never coming back to play in my town because the last time he did, he was sick and had to cut the show short. Rioting ensued, with a bunch of chairs being thrown; mostly at the stage. [Eek!]

Glad you had a great time. [Smile]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2004 12:38      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wot? No Gordon Lightfoot?

Neil Young rocks....I saw him in the late 80's at Canada's Wonderland....it was pretty smokey there I recall [Cool]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 20, 2004 11:41      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah Snag! That JoT book sure seems to be selling well [Wink]
Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 20, 2004 12:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SnaggyBro treated us to the concert... in other words, he paid for the tickets! [Eek!]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 10:50      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Cool]
DrFreeJon
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2972

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 12:28      Profile for DrFreeJon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I enjoyed the Clean Air concert too.
When it was over we all threw our ticket stubs on the ground and burned our plastic water bottles.
It was awesome how everyone came together and made a big bon fire.

--------------------
www.lipservicemusic.com

Posts: 3 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 12:54      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Troll

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 14:17      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Troll

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 08:46      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DrFreeJon:
Yeah, I enjoyed the Clean Air concert too.
When it was over we all threw our ticket stubs on the ground and burned our plastic water bottles.
It was awesome how everyone came together and made a big bon fire.

I like the smell of toxic plastic in the morning.
[shake head]

Let's see...this is the CLEAN AIR CONCERT and you're burning that shit? Moron.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture