homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Troy (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Troy
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 20:19      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was pretty good. As one critic said, "Brad Pitt can't carry a movie like Russell Crowe"(comparing it to Gladiator), and I agree. However the ensemble in this movie was great, and the story was pretty true to the mythology I remember, with perhaps a little poetic license taken. Everything you expect from an epic like this-if you enjoy that genre, it doesn't disappoint.

Warning: running time: 2 hrs, 45 min

And for those of you who have seen it: could they
have put in ONE more close-up of Hector's wife's quivering lower lip?? We get it already-she's afraid!! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 21:36      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were probably tring to balance out the Brad Pitt/beefcake overload.

Tina Fey of SNL made some comment to the a/effect of ho many guys will turn gay after seeing this movie.....not that there is anything wrong with that.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 07:48      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mixed feelings about Troy.

I'll admit up front that I have not read the Iliad so I don't know how accurately the film reflected Paris and Helen, and I understand that they had to take some artistic license with the film, but PUHLEEESE... could they have reduced the intelligence of these two characters any further? I wanted them both to die on the way back to Troy, quickly and quite painfully. It was very off-putting. I hated these characters. (Yes, I know, if they died or Hector turned back to Sparta, then what would the movie be about?). Evidently the rest of the audience I saw it with agreed, because after that, every time Paris was on screen, much laughter was heard, with one or more "Well, d'uh!"'s. At one point, I said to my friend sitting next to me "Is it me, or are Odysseus and Hector the only people in this movie with any brains?" Other than that, I liked the movie.

But I went to see the movie so I could see Sean Bean in a skirt, so I can't complain too loudly. Except that there was not enough of him. Could they please film The Odyssey next? [Big Grin] Just with someone other than Wolfgang Peterson directing, please.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 09:08      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand why the movie makers would decide to remove the gods from the film but a lot of the movie doesn't really work without it. In the Iliad it was as much a war between the gods as between the Greeks and Trojans. There is no reason for Achilles to be Superman if he wasn't dipped in the River Styx, and it really doesn't make sense for him to get shot in the heel. I enjoyed the movie a lot, even with the mythological errors. I'm not a huge Brad Pitt fan, or a huge Orlando Bloom fan, but the guy that played Hector was hot! So I still got eye candy to go with my Homerian epic. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 10:37      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree-Hector and Odysseus were both hot!

Do you gals know what I mean about Hector's wife, though?? Geez, that was annoying!!! Yeah, and Paris and Helen were morons

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 10:51      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Andromache did seem to have a nerve problem with her jaw. I just thought she was just put there to show that Hector was a decent, upstanding guy, so I didn't mind her much. Now if they had given her more dialogue than "don't go," and it was as inane as anything Paris or Helen said, I might have been seriously annoyed. At least Andromache didn't seem like a twit.

Am I the only one who noticed that Paris looked a heck of a lot better when he had a bow and arrow in his hands? [Wink]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 11:07      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah-I think that was my annoyance with her. She had barely any lines, but seemingly endless shots of the same facial expression.
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 11:26      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
Am I the only one who noticed that Paris looked a heck of a lot better when he had a bow and arrow in his hands? [Wink]

You're not the only one. Although I think my preference for that is because it makes him look like much less of a wuss, rather than the resemblace to Legs (Legolas). [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 14:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, that's it. I knew I wanted to see this movie, but now I think I need to.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
XnavxeMiyyep
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2408

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 15:16      Profile for XnavxeMiyyep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a great movie. I saw it and enjoyed it quite a bit, however, it was only around 50% accurate.

SPOILERS:

In the movie, the war only lasted for around 2 weeks, whereas in the book it was 10 years. The movie left out the Gods. Hector kills Ajax and Menelaus in the beginning which didn't happen in the book. Also, Briseis kills Agamemnon, whereas in the legend, he was killed by his wife.

Despite these inaccuracies, it was still a great movie, and far more accurate than the TV movie "Helen of Troy".

Posts: 34 | From: MA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 15:25      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me imagines a movie where an army storms an uninteresting beach for ten years while the entire time the main warrior is yelling about having his name remembered [Eek!]

I think I can deal with that change.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

XnavxeMiyyep
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2408

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 15:40      Profile for XnavxeMiyyep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
/me imagines a movie where an army storms an uninteresting beach for ten years while the entire time the main warrior is yelling about having his name remembered [Eek!]

I guess you're right about that, but there were other things changed, such as Hector killing Menelaus and Ajax.
Posts: 34 | From: MA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 17:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep:
[QBAlso, Briseis kills Agamemnon, whereas in the legend, he was killed by his wife. [/QB]

So there won't be any sequel about Electra and Orestes. Dammit.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 04:52      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:

But in the true tale they just skip to the exciting moments, which the film could have done easily enough. Then again guess Ill have to wait a week so I cans ee it then rave about its chaging evils (especially if Achillies and paris do live as long as Ive bee told).

Just out of mild interest does the film mention the luck of troy at any point?

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 07:27      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To your question, some people mention good omens but not really luck. It is all attributed to the favor of the gods and a great army.

Maybe a movie could skip to just the interesting points but I would be a little put off by a series of "One year later" "six months later" "five years later" subtitles. Eh, could be just me. Anyhoo I liked the movie so it's all good.

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 12:38      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...two hours of hot guys in skirts...</drool>

Maybe I should wait until it comes out on DVD so I can back-to-back it with Rob Roy... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2004 16:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I saw it...and oh my did I drool. Total eye candy...and the dudes I was with liked it too, which means one thing: date movie. [Razz]

The battles were great. The fights featuring Achilles were also fantastic. I love that running leap thing he did. For some reason, it made me think of stories I've read of Cuchulain. So now I want them to make a movie about Cuchulain, with Brad Pitt playing Cuchulain (and yes I know I've spelled that wrong). Sean Bean should be in it too. [Big Grin]

Some beefs: The architecture/scuplturey in Troy looked waay too Egyptian. The Trojans and the Greeks shared the same culture. Those statues were way too blocky to be Greek. Also, what was with that Briseis/Achilles love scene. One moment she's got a knfe to his throat, ready to kill him, the next they're fscking. Okay, so I can understand how achilles might have been turned on, but I'm not sure how Briseis went from ready to kill to hot-and-bothered in a space of thirty seconds (it was, after all, passionate sex, not a rape...ergo she was willing). Yes, Achilles is hot, but there's something missing there, I think. Members of the audience were also confused - someone giggled a couple rows ahead of me.

And yeah, Helen and Paris were dumbasses.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2004 16:30      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh... Preferred the book...

[Wink]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2004 16:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
The fights featuring Achilles were also fantastic.
Achilles?
What a heel !

For some reason, it made me think of stories I've read of Cuchulain. So now I want them to make a movie about Cuchulain, with Brad Pitt playing Cuchulain

This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the Celtic Heroes all fought naked, would it ? [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2004 17:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they? Really? BONUS!!

[Big Grin] [evil] [Big Grin]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2004 17:44      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder if they'll do the "I see your Scwartz is as big as mine" scene from Spaceballs [evil]
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2004 18:22      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Did they? Really? BONUS!!

[Big Grin] [evil] [Big Grin]

Do we get a movie about the Amazons?

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2004 18:51      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, if only Wonder Woman had stuck with her Amazonian roots [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2004 19:08      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If nothing else you can watch the Amazon princess in her costume. [Wink]

--------------------
—Miss Piggy

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2004 11:36      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you've already got Xena, let us have Cuchulain, okay? [Razz]

And then they can give us Finn MacCumhail, and Angus Ogg and a better William Wallace...maybe I should stop before I drown in my own drool...

/me has a thing for Celts. *sigh*

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture