homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » Art of Deception

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Art of Deception
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2004 07:04      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Friday my parents and I went to Barnes and Noble, and while looking for a book on python, I found Kevin Mitnick's, "The Art of Deception". I picked it up and read a bit, and it's very interesting. It gives you all sorta of scenarios of social engineering, and gives you advice on how to make your company more secure. Very interesting, and the paperback version is pretty cheap. The one I saw at Barnes and Noble is only around 15 dollars.

--------------------
~~~The Geek Will Inherit the Earth~~~

Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2004 07:35      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But don't you find his examples of "social engineering" a teensy bit obvious?

For me, his book *is* interesting, but ultimately disappointing because, well, he just ain't "technical" enough... "Hey kids! You should check your passwords in case they're insecure..."
Ye-a-h-h-h... And then what, oh mighty one?

The man's on a mission, that's for sure - a mission to improve his bank balance... D00d! That is WAY cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2004 07:52      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wanna know which Python book you were looking at [Smile] ! I'm looking at buying myself Python in a Nutshell, but its a bit expensive for a student, so any advice on Python books would be welcome.
Posts: 1129 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2004 08:04      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
i wanna know which Python book you were looking at [Smile] ! I'm looking at buying myself Python in a Nutshell, but its a bit expensive for a student, so any advice on Python books would be welcome.

NONE of 'em, ijjit... I was looking at that Mitnick book.
He's a tosser.
What's YOUR excuse?
[Wink]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2004 08:31      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Might I suggest trying out Orilly's Safari books online. For $10.00 a month you get access to 5 books a month from the O'Reilly library. Details here

Oreilly Safari Bookshelf

Still too expensive try
How to Think Like a Computer Scientist Learning with Python

Other than that a simple SOTFW will result in tons of info.

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2004 23:37      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I bought myself Python in a Nutshell a few weeks ago, and I find it really good. That's coming from a programming background in a number of other languages though. If you've got limited experience in programming, there are probably better books, cause "Nutshell" goes through it all pretty quickly.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2004 00:01      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'll get Nutshell then. I've read/gone through Think Like a Computer Scientist and a couple of the "advanced" tutorials on python.org so I like to think of myself as a pretty competant Python coder (plus I do a bit of java [Smile] ).
Posts: 1129 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.