homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Fun and Games, and Reviews   » has your mind been blown lately? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: has your mind been blown lately?
somnabulist
Geek
Member # 2403

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 04, 2004 14:37      Profile for somnabulist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reading the new Dan Brown novel, The Da Vinci code. I am about 40 pages into it, and it is amazing. He writes wonderfully, everytime you learn something new, he mentions something else thats interesting, and you have to read on, its intense. You also learn a lot of crazy facts and such. I highly reccommend it to anyone, its magnificent.

Anyone else read it?

edit: this is my first of his novels, and im gonna get more...

Posts: 109 | From: in the chair | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 15:02      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not quite new, almost a year old, but its a great book, its been mentioned before on the forums, as usual im too lazy to provide a link, his other books arent as interesting in my opinion other than Angels and Demons which also is about Robert Langdon. my rabbi had a fascinating discussion about The Davinci Code on Christmas morning

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 20:56      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just got the book friday and im going to start reading it for an analysis i have due in two weeks. from what i have heard, it is an outstanding book.
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 01:30      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think i will.

on topic though, yes my mind has been blown recently.

dave matthews - live at central park

this was recorded september 27th 2003, and released on double dvd by december 2003. that alone is pretty impressive, but nowhere near as impressive as the concert. holy hell!

dmb central park: amazon link
$~29 from jb's (au)

Also, the Robbie Williams new dvd at knebworth, just for the crowd shot where they all take a photo at once. that's about 350_000 camera flashes: huge!

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 06:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan!:
i think i will.

on topic though, yes my mind has been blown recently.

dave matthews - live at central park

this was recorded september 27th 2003, and released on double dvd by december 2003. that alone is pretty impressive, but nowhere near as impressive as the concert. holy hell!

dmb central park: amazon link
$~29 from jb's (au)

Also, the Robbie Williams new dvd at knebworth, just for the crowd shot where they all take a photo at once. that's about 350_000 camera flashes: huge!

Great set indeed! Not sure about the price conversion, and I don't really feel like looking it up, but it was ~US$14.99 when I got it not too long ago.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 05, 2004 06:32      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came from a hiking trip in the smoky mountains. My mind was certainly blown [Smile]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
BellaDonna
Geek
Member # 2123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 05:43      Profile for BellaDonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
somnabulist: After you finish The DaVinci Code go back and read Angels and Demons (if you haven't read it already). It was Dan Brown's first book involving Robert Langdon. Personally, I think it's better than The DaVinci Code, and probably the best of his book, though I did enjoy Digital Fortress which deals with cryptology.

--------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 08:51      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
I just came from a hiking trip in the smoky mountains. My mind was certainly blown [Smile]

ooooh *jealous* [Smile]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 09:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I paid to get my mind blown the last time I went to Amsterdam - good thing the chick didn't swallow. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 06, 2004 12:14      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how exactly did she blow your mind spungo? Did it involve crawling under your desk? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2004 12:25      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In an attempt to divert the path of the meandering topic: im at chapter 15 and the refrence to the Da Vince painting, in my opinion, has a little too much of a relavence to the story line and the secrecy of his life and the way that the novel is going.

On a side note: i recoginized the progression in the message (1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21) but i had no idea what it meant untill the cryptographer had explained anything, i thought that they were going to introduce Proccaisio ( or however you spell his name) as being related to the plot.

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2004 22:59      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fight club blew my mind (book and movie)

LOTR

my WGS class I took last term

Coldplay

traveling the world

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 03:33      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
In an attempt to divert the path of the meandering topic:

dont do that for your own safety. let the topic flow as it wants

--------------------
its been a while

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 04:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
So how exactly did she blow your mind spungo? Did it involve crawling under your desk? [Big Grin]

No, all I had to do was wear a condom on my head, for some reason... gave me tremendous ear-ache the next day. [ohwell]

--------------------

cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 06:45      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've just completed a project using the data analysis add-in on excel. it was pretty amazing using the multi regression analysis bit to build a model of how the crime rate is dependant on lots of different variables. wish this had been around 15 years ago when i actually studied it at college. would've made it so much more interesting and relevant, rather than just loads of dry theory
Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 07:23      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
wish this had been around 15 years ago when i actually studied it at college.

Yeah, right - the only thing you studied at college was big, hard, upright...

...and had "Armitage Shanks" written on it. You had a class just about every night, didn't you? [Wink]

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 07:30      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
wish this had been around 15 years ago when i actually studied it at college.

Yeah, right - the only thing you studied at college was big, hard, upright...

...and had "Armitage Shanks" written on it. You had a class just about every night, didn't you? [Wink]

not sure if you're alluding to the fact that i had the occasional beer, or that i was an eager participant in that martial art "hand-to-gland combat" (as in "everytime i saw her, i had to have a good armitage")

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 07:31      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you mean a 'wafty crank'?

--------------------

cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 07:34      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Oh, you mean a 'wafty crank'?

exactly [Big Grin]

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 23, 2004 13:09      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I'm halfway through Da Vinci Code and it ROCKS!!!!
I'm DEFINITELY reading it a second time, DEFINITELY researching the claims it makes, and you all should DEFINITELY read it!!!!
Has anyone done any research on the topics discussed in this book? [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Smile]

--------------------

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2004 19:23      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my rabbi did a seminar on many of the topics that were presented in the book on Christmas morning, it was quite good, the stuff about Mary Magdelene has no conclusive historical evidence that isnt biased but the stuff about pagan symbolism in Christianity is all correct, Opus Dei and the Priory of Sion both exist. as Gabe from Penny-Arcade said "I was running to my computer every 5 minutes to check to see if this shit was real". my local barnes and noble brought out a lot of old and new books relating to the Davinci code this summer, i read through about 2 and a half before my mind drifted to the New Jedi Order books

--------------------
its been a while

aberrantgeek
Geek
Member # 2336

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2004 06:24      Profile for aberrantgeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I read it, I didn't it was an ok book. People are always coming into my work (restaurant) talking about it. "oh its so real" etc. etc. I am currently write in the middle of the second book of the Baroque Cycle "The Confusion" by neil stephenson. Hella good. And God's Debris that is an awesome book, blew my mind when I read it. But I lent it out and now it is somewhere in new york.

--------------------
"Everyone's life sucks" -Jerry Seinfield

AIM SN=aberrantgeek

Posts: 106 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2004 11:04      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just rented beach cottages and condos to over 600 College students- Mind completely gone. as are some of my windows, a few tables etc...
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2004 20:33      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read the da Vinci code but I've been told that it deals with the number phi (1.618...).
I'm reading a book called The Golden Ratio which is pretty fascinating...

Then again my family thought that this was pretty interesting.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2004 20:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished watching "Kill Bill" (v.1) for a second time - that's a bit of a mind-blower...fun to see as well [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture