homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » MX-5 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: MX-5
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 12:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After watching this ,

I have decided I want a Miata (Mx-5).

How do I convince my wife to let me buy one?

FWIW I have never actually spent my yearly bonus's, and I could buy one with 100k on it pretty easily, but I think this would constitute a major purchase we both have to agree on.

She won't want to ride in it 'cause it will mess up her hair.

It is absolutly not a useful car here because
a) it is cold here and a miata is a convertible,
b) it is rear wheel drive and we have nothing but steep icy roads here.
c) it seats only two people and almost no luggage ( but is not as bad as the toyota RX-2
d) it is fuel ineficient

and for all the reasons my wife would say we shouldn't get one, makes them a really good deal to buy. ( a car that costs the same price new as a miata, costs two to three times as much with 100k on it.)

Does this mean I having a mid life crisis? it came a bit early, does this mean I will die early ( hopefully not wrapped around a tree)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 13:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well let me save you the trouble to say the miata is a chick car, and no straight male buys them.

You're welcome.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 14:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you want to drop a pile of money on something wasteful and useless?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 15:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

Yes, *coughs* at least i haven't yet bought an iPhone

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 16:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka wrote:
I have decided I want a Miata (Mx-5).

How do I convince my wife to let me buy one?

First, tell her you're buying one in a firm, commanding voice. When she objects, say "it's a mid-life crisis and it's either this or an affair with 18 year old. At least this has resale value"

Then, when you wake up, you can use the money to pay off the hospital bills stemming from the massive head trauma [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 17:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

Yes, *coughs* at least i haven't yet bought an iPhone
But the iPhone would be cheaper.

/me remains a cell phone refusenik
/me drives a Subaru only one year younger than she is

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 19:04      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think James May had it right in Season 2.

You want a TR-6. Because the MX-5 just doesn't do anything good for your testosterone levels.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 23:33      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

You want a TR-6. Because the MX-5 just doesn't do anything good for your testosterone levels.

yea, but I can buy a new RX-5 for the price of any Tr-6 I could find.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 00:47      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dnfm:

...the mx-5 is a chick car no straight male buys them.

Not true in the UK - plenty of straight males buy them... as retirement presents to themselves. So - it's a car for chicks.....and old men! [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 01:47      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dr. X wrote:

Hey! You just described all my camera equipment.
Especially the long lenses...

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 04:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
it's a mid-life crisis and it's either this or an affair with 18 year old

Um, I think you've got it wrong there.

A friend of mine, for his mid-life crisis, got himself a Billy Idol hairdo and a little red sportscar.
Within a few weeks, he had a 22 year old blonde girlfriend to go with it.

The sports car isn't an alternative to an affair with a younger woman, it's pretty-much a prerequisite.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 07:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Well let me save you the trouble to say the miata is a chick car, and no straight male buys them.

If the demographics around here are any guide, not a lot of straight women buy them either.
Most of the MX-5's you see around here are occupied by two women in sensible shoes.
(not that there's anything wrong with that)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 07:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ MX-5 that thing is a whimp, 1964 I owned a Pontiac Catalina 389cuinch with an AFB carb by Carter that did 0-60 mph in 5.2 secs. After I spent some bucks (actually a lot of bucks) Different intake manifold and two AFBs better spark (magneto instead of distributor) it would turn the 1/4 mile in sub 11secs. the best 10.3

____ Clean air cars are slugs/snails.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 07:48      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:

yea, but I can buy a new RX-5 for the price of any Tr-6 I could find.
Good point.

There is not really any good way to convince your wife that an MX-5 is a good idea.

The only real advice I can offer is to tell her that you really want one. Why you want it. And buy her some really snazzy headscarves and big sunglasses like all the 50's starlets used to wear. And that way the car is not for you exactly, instead something that both of you can enjoy. Which of course finding something that may be primarily for you, but at the same time making something you both can have fun with is going to be the best decision. Sometimes it just isn't possible.

I won't say you are buying something wasteful and useless, since I have a vehicle addiction problem. And the guitars, cars, motorcycles, and oddball stuff like that are all very impractical. However, they are all things I enjoy and I have a green light to indulge in these things as long as our bills are paid. Plus it keeps me out of seedy bars. [Smile]

If that doesn't work, there is the old saying,"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 07:53      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ MX-5 that thing is a whimp, 1964 I owned a Pontiac Catalina 389cuinch with an AFB carb by Carter that did 0-60 mph in 5.2 secs. After I spent some bucks (actually a lot of bucks) Different intake manifold and two AFBs better spark (magneto instead of distributor) it would turn the 1/4 mile in sub 11secs. the best 10.3

MoMan,

I wish you were right. But I know for a fact that most of those little cars will make American iron scream uncle. Those things are pumping out more horsepower from stock 4 cylinders, than you could get a V-8 to do stock.

And when you start playing with turbos, chips and induction, you can nearly double the output without ever having to see a machinist.

That said, I still don't much care for most of the newer cars, simply for the fact that I do not have quite the same level of fun.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 09:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ CommanderShroom, I wish I could find the old time tickets from Tri-Cities Dragway. I do remember that the best run was 10.3 126 and I was beat by a 10.28 128 run in the west lane.

____ Now a days you can't even get fuel with enough octane to touch off one of those twelve to one compression ratio motors. Yes the smaller higher strung motors appear to be more thermally efficient, but are they? In the mid sixties Pontiac intentionally derated their engines because of a Federal Trade Commission ruleing about rated Horsepower in advertising, so no Pontiacs showed more than 360HP.

____ The Cats. weighed about the same as the GTOs but the weight bias was more to the rear, that long trunk and if the gas tank was full gave a lot of bite. I used to inflate the left Air Bag and Shock to 90PSI and the Right to 110PSI in an attempt to get a good bite at the line.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 09:47      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ Now a days you can't even get fuel with enough octane to touch off one of those twelve to one compression ratio motors. Yes the smaller higher strung motors appear to be more thermally efficient, but are they? In the mid sixties Pontiac intentionally derated their engines because of a Federal Trade Commission ruleing about rated Horsepower in advertising, so no Pontiacs showed more than 360HP.

The engine in my car is the same engine in the Lotus Elise. It's a 1.8L 11.5:1 compression ratio motor. 91 octane runs it just fine with no knock. (I have modified these engines, and 2 friends of mine are now running supercharged 2zz-ge motors, and one is up in the 231 WHEEL horsepower range, with ZERO knock on 94 octane pump gas.)
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 10:35      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, it is a cabrio, you can't hear the radio if you go faster than 40 so no need for a big engine ;-), and if I try to drive a alpine road if a huge american roadster, i'll go to fast and won't be able to make the switchbac.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 12:14      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan,

You are right that horsepower ratings were deliberately lowered for insurance puposes back than. But there is no doubt that HP/LB ratio on something small like the MX-5 and a Catalina are vastly different.

I am not saying that I would rather have the Mazda, because really I don't. But the simple fact of the matter is to get the Mazda to the point where it is 1HP per CI is a lot easier than doing the same thing to a 396. And to get the same performance is also easier.

That said, I will still take a good chunk of Ford cast iron over Ford/Mazda made aluminum any day. But I am very much aware of what its limitations are. Right now I am looking at a $2500 rebuild for my Y-Block that is stinging my wallet something fierce, just to have may a grand total of 250HP. So the reality is pound for pound new cars put the old ones to shame. But I will tell you this. Nothing beats the sound of glasspacks on an old V8.

And after seeing James May, I think that T wants me to start hunting for an old Triumph to add to my fledgling car collection. I am trying to talk her into a TR-3 though. Those half doors are teh sexxy.

I <3 having someone that appreciates old cars as much as I do. Even though I don't think she is too willing to assemble a block for me. Damn.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 17:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ The starters for the big iron were impressive also. Octane/CR on large engines, these engines were not over square, the strokes were longer than the bore diameter. So they were limited in how high they could rev. Take one up to Fomula one revs bring it home in a basket, use it where it was designed to operate. Sub 4500 RPM. The big Pontiac V8s made max torque at 1800RPM Max HP at double that. Mine very seldom saw 5000RPM. Because of the low revs and long intake cycles inductive supercharging worked, with the right valve timing. So a 12.5CR at 4000RPM was effective of 16/1 because of the enertia of the incoming air, these engines could inhale way more than they displaced. To get the most thermally energy out of the fuel air charge high octane was needed to stop knock, but then the advance curve needed to be huge to light the fire soon enough at full bore. On the Chevy wedges 45 to 50 degrees on the Pontiacs you didn't want to go over 38 degrees total vac and Mech.

____ Use those numbers on an over square engine and you are asking for trouble. Where I worked one of the engineers in the dyno-labs discribed it as the piston feeds the fuel into the fire, then as the gasses expand the power stroke begins.

____ Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.

____ Those big Irons could run on todays fuel but after you detuned them for the crummby fuel there isn't any power left. You might as well as pour Coleman stove gas in the tank.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2010 07:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My motor features a mere 85mm stroke. 8500rpm redline, baby! (Matter of fact, its power doesn't top out until ~6700rpm.)

And its the springs on the valves that prevent it from going higher. With stronger valve springs, there are people who routinely run this engine up to 10k rpm without issue.

Stupid valve float.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2010 08:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ drunkennewfiemidget, Your car has something that those big old pieces of iron did not. A mechanic under the hood making minute adjustments with each turn of the crank.

____ ODB II Modules check for Spark Knock and adjust, Rich/Lean and adjust, High emissions and adjust. Thousands of times a second. Get your hands on a good code reader, a laptop with USB2 and the right software for your car. Go for a ride.

____ Watch the fuel trim change, spark advance, MAP(Manifold Air Pressure), EOS sensor output all changing as you drive. Let the fuel run low and add only one gallon of coleman stove fuel drive a short distance and then fill up with premium and watch the values again. It is really a good show for those that would like to know. That is why I recommend that you use the fuel that your manufacturer recommends that is because the software is peaked for that fuel, deviate too much and mileage will suffer.

____ I have been looking for a OBD II that would work on the engine in our motorhome, it does well with a carburator but might do much better with FI but then I would have to add Cat. Converters and air pumps for the module to control.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2010 10:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ drunkennewfiemidget, Your car has something that those big old pieces of iron did not. A mechanic under the hood making minute adjustments with each turn of the crank.

____ ODB II Modules check for Spark Knock and adjust, Rich/Lean and adjust, High emissions and adjust. Thousands of times a second. Get your hands on a good code reader, a laptop with USB2 and the right software for your car. Go for a ride.

____ Watch the fuel trim change, spark advance, MAP(Manifold Air Pressure), EOS sensor output all changing as you drive. Let the fuel run low and add only one gallon of coleman stove fuel drive a short distance and then fill up with premium and watch the values again. It is really a good show for those that would like to know. That is why I recommend that you use the fuel that your manufacturer recommends that is because the software is peaked for that fuel, deviate too much and mileage will suffer.

____ I have been looking for a OBD II that would work on the engine in our motorhome, it does well with a carburator but might do much better with FI but then I would have to add Cat. Converters and air pumps for the module to control.

Speaking to the choir, good sir. I have spent all sorts of time tuning these engines. Timing advance, lift engagement, fuel trim, knock readings -- I know all that.

In my car, you have to run 91 octane because of the compression ratio. Go higher, the car detects knock, and retards the hell out of the timing so you don't destroy the motor.

Then the car runs like a bag of snot, and gets shitty mileage.

I'm actually in the middle of writing my own custom software to show me gauges on an in-dash touchscreen including short and long term fuel trim, air fuel mixture, timing advance, air flow, injector duty cycle, etc.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2010 11:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Megasquirt is what you are on the prowl for MoMan.

It can be as complex, or as simple as you want. It is not cheap however, but from what I have been told, it is a great system.

A recent article in Classic Trucks showed someone retrofitting a newer TBI injection setup on a Chevy motor. Though depending on what you have in the motorhome, it may not be the best option for you.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Ashitaka - Did you talk to your wife yet? How did that work out for you?

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2010 12:21      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ashitaka - Did you talk to your wife yet? How did that work out for you?

She doesn't get it., She doesn't see why we need to buy a second car when we have had no car for the last five years. And, she thinks a roadster is not very useful.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture