homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » Tips for snagging a girl (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Tips for snagging a girl
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2007 22:29      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh indeed...pursuing your quarry where it is known to frequent is a brilliant plan! I've met guys at coffee shops, Borders, Barnes and Noble, the library, Best Buy, midnight movie premiers, and Game Stop...the first rule of any good hunt...know your prey! [Wink]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2007 23:01            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine, you misunderstood me. The point I was trying to make is that geek and nerd men and women don't necessarily stand out visually from anyone else. FireSnake pointed this out a long time ago: if you look at the Photo Album, you'll see how ordinary we all look (except me ... and Zorro ;) If you see anyone walking around carrying paddles, run.)

We don't all have stereotypical black thick-rimmed glasses or glasses that are all taped up. We don't all wear thick woolly sweaters, have pimply faces and goofy teeth, or however else we might get characterised. We're neither supermodels nor hideous freaks.

What is there left that makes us distinguishable from ordinary people?

What do we have to do that is totally true to ourselves and effortlessly maintaintable (when your mind is elsewhere in deep thought) yet makes us stand out?

Steen, you need to at least give us some concrete examples, from not just your life but from a variety of lives.

IP: Logged
Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 06:50      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now i get the idea of those myspace and hi5 websites, if everybody registered there, finding a lover would be only a few clicks away.
I went to the bookshop a few day's ago and there were almost only women but the majority were college girls looking for study books and others were reading Zits, calvin and hobbes,etc.

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

Posts: 55 | From: aveiro, portugual | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 09:40      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:
Steen, you need to at least give us some concrete examples, from not just your life but from a variety of lives.

I'll flood the place with examples right after you demonstrate just one concrete example of where someone never showing their personality in public resulted in a better chance of meeting someone they'd be compatible with.

One point you seem to keep missing is that being visible doesn't just refer to appearance. An obvious example is posting to a forum on the internet. People who enjoy what you post will respond favorably. If you talk to those who respond, they're far more likely to be compatible with you than a random person you start talking to for no reason.

The downside to posting on a forum like GC is, of course, that you're more likely to meet someone from far away than you are if you encounter someone in person. Still, what exactly have you got to lose? A couple of romances here have become successful relationships despite an initial separation of thousands of miles, so it's not like it's completely impossible.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 09:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The poem could have been shit -- it'd have worked.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 09:56      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll agree that my poem was probably shit. But it wasn't utter shit. As I said, though, it was the big, shiny boots that got her. She said so herself. Unfortunately, I'm basically a sweet guy and I failed to live up to the bad-boy fantasy she'd built. She would have gotten her bad-boy once we fell into bed, but she wanted someone who was naughty all the time and that's just not me.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 10:07            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen, Internet relationships are only for those very much suited. Plenty of people cannot do this. What we all really want is someone we can get on the bus or in the car and visit. I've met some very nice women online, in Colorado, in Nebraska, in NY state, but the Internet proves frusrtatingly limiting in what you and they can do together -- that's why I wrote Connect-4 OMA for lili and I to play. (My Mac couldn't handle Java, Flash and Shockwave games so I wrote a game from scratch instead, and then got beaten at it over and over -- she's pretty smart.)

Under the assumption that I travel alone and can't use someone I know as part of the plan, I don't know how I can be more like me. Trying to initiate random conversation with people on the bus would be very odd (and in Britain, you'd probably look like a freak or drunkard ;)

I think what you meant was, be less like me :) I'm bad enough now, you don't want anything any worse.

I don't know how I can be more visible in person. For crying out loud, people in cars call out "Jesus!" to me as they pass by, I am that visible. I'm quite unmistakable, but clearly not in a way that interests women, evidently. But that is who I am.

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 10:32      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann, you are not an unattractive person. You could hook up readily at a discotech. There are geek women there, they're just disguised. Acceptable interactions are expanded in drinking situations. I've fondled lots of women I don't know without (so far) any ill effects. One of them bought me a drink, introduced me to her husband, and tried to take me home. I thanked them for the drink and wandered off.

Women expect you to engage them in conversation in social contexts like that. You could conceivably chat up 30-50 women a night. It still might take you several months to find one you like, but there's nothing like increasing your sample density to improve the odds of finding a favorable result. I'd still recommend book readings or libraries to increase the percentage of actual geek women present. Some of the club women seem geeky but end up being disappointments.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 10:43      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
uilleann, you are not an unattractive person. You could hook up readily at a discotech. There are geek women there, they're just disguised. Acceptable interactions are expanded in drinking situations. I've fondled lots of women I don't know without (so far) any ill effects. One of them bought me a drink, introduced me to her husband, and tried to take me home. I thanked them for the drink and wandered off.

Women expect you to engage them in conversation in social contexts like that. You could conceivably chat up 30-50 women a night. It still might take you several months to find one you like, but there's nothing like increasing your sample density to improve the odds of finding a favorable result. I'd still recommend book readings or libraries to increase the percentage of actual geek women present. Some of the club women seem geeky but end up being disappointments.

While this is true, the problem stems fromm the word 'creeper'. If you try to talk to the wrong women, you become a 'creeper'. In fact, if you do anythign wrong at all or say anything awkward, you'll be labelled as a 'creeper', no matter where you go. I've seen it happen to friends at parties, it's happened to me when I say something stupid (usually a joke that goes right over their heads), it's happened to all guys. I'd actually support a national agenda to strike the word 'creeper' from the english language.

Of course, this is a real problem when somebody who has a mutual interest wonders why you didn't try to continue talking to her at a party:

"Why didn't you continue talking to me at the party?"
"Well, I've been known to be a creeper, I didn't think you'd enjoy it..."
"Ugh! Idiot! You're such a creeper!"

See? Even good intentions make you a creeper.

One cannot escape the creepiness.

DISCLAIMER: I've never been called a creeper to my face... but I'm sure it's happened. But I do have a lot of clueless friends, and it happens to them all the time. So YMMV.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 10:43            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd never get drunk, I rarely drink when out at all, and I'd never lay hands on any woman under any circumstances unless it was deemed proper (or in complete sobriety and presence of mind, it was clear she'd consent). I hate rules but I have my limits :)
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 11:03      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any guy, geek or not, wandered up to me at a discotech, I would be liable to believe his motives were ulterior. I am much more likely to chat it up with a guy who approaches me in a bookstore or Best Buy, or even on the bus! As females, we're taught from an early age to be on the lookout for bad pick up attempts at places such as clubs, bars, etc...its engrained really.

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 11:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:
I think what you meant was, be less like me [Smile] I'm bad enough now, you don't want anything any worse.

Well, a bit of self confidence and a few classes in public speaking probably wouldn't hurt you, but you're not fundamentally a bad person despite your protests to the contrary. I've been talking with you for ummm... nine months or so at this point. I wouldn't have bothered if you weren't worth talking to.

I don't know how I can be more visible in person. For crying out loud, people in cars call out "Jesus!" to me as they pass by, I am that visible. I'm quite unmistakable, but clearly not in a way that interests women, evidently. But that is who I am.

Well, you seem to want to lay hands on them... [Wink]

Humor aside, how about this: you like seen to enjoy classic gaming... play your game boy in public. Better yet, dig up something a bit more unusual and old like, say, a Sega Gamegear. They don't usually cost very much and hey... new (to you) games to play. The unusual game will increase the likelihood that another gamer will notice and ask about it, giving you an opportunity to strike up a conversation. You already know you have one interest in common, so you're already ahead of talking to a complete stranger.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 11:18      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...the Lady is pleased with this "whipping out your Gameboy in public" idea. I'd be all over that...hehe [Wink]

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 11:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a difference between wanting to get my hands all over someone and doing it, silly ;)

I've taken my GameBoy with me on occasions, but it's a big bastard and takes up a lot of space in my coat pocket (and won't fit in a trouser pocket). I only have one game, Tetris, and I much prefer my palmtop as it's much smaller, universally useful (though I've never actually had it on the Net) and still plays Tetris. Despite having had that since February 2002, and being one of the sexiest palmtops on the planet, it's not a geek girl magnet. Don't say I've not tried ;)

I don't think I need any lessons in public speaking, far from it.

Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 12:23      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...I'd gravitate towards a geeky guy on a palmtop playing Tetris...what is wrong with girls there?

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 16:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:
I've taken my GameBoy with me on occasions, but it's a big bastard and takes up a lot of space in my coat pocket (and won't fit in a trouser pocket).

Women generally don't mind men with large game systems... [evil]

(and as long as I'm posting... Welcome to the forums, Lady_Christy)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2007 19:33      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, and what a delightfully insinuating comment [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture