homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » why a guy geek? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: why a guy geek?
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2006 19:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate crowds. I'm claustrophobic, and yeah, there's taht overstimulation thing.

It's more of a sensory barrage. Too much data all at once, can't process it all, etc. In the lab we call it saturation and either dilute the sample or adjust the detector. Unfortunately, in social settings, I can't just adust my brain or dilute the crowd. What I can do, however, is go hide after the first two hours at a large party. I need about half an hour to decompress, calm down, reset myself, and then I can go back out and do the social thing. People rarely notice I'm gone, and the ones that do are usually the ones that know me well enough to understand what's going on.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2006 22:59      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say I'm an introvert not because I don't like crowds or people or that I'm shy. Part of it is that I enjoy myself and my own company and I have a good time in my own head. I don't need other people to entertain me or keep me from being lonely. The other part is that I find other people both energizing and exhausting at the same time. I enjoy the stimulation, but at the same time what I want when I'm done is space to relax and decompress and for me that usually means alone.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mike_INTJ
Geek-in-Training
Member # 5192

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 04:48      Profile for mike_INTJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
What kind of stimulation overload in your case?

I am guessing I know the feeling, or feelings ... The fear of missing out on everything going on around you, or that anything you do will get swallowed up as insignificant as everyone else also has to have their turn. Or everyone does notice and you get too much praise and glory. Or seeing all the loving and friending and realise you want your share, but that you also want to do it just with one special person instead of a crowd, or that you have mental virginity attached to other experiences you want to try out. Or just so much to take in that you feel too rushed to try it all...

in my case it's too much movement (like a animal in the wild). too much noise, i tend to hear everything all at once. and sometimes too much emotion, i tend to pick it up from all directions.

often i don't know where to turn to next. it's a very timid hyper feeling. i'm usually relaxed, sedate, calm, and very aware. i have great peripheral vision in all directions. so it's easy to get jumpy. and too much noise just shuts down my system. certain frequencies really bother me. and the emotion thing is confusing, but it's like i absorb only the bad, negative feelings from everyone. but when alone, i'm usually fine.

i'm also a guy that can pick up the subtle variations of voice, face, body movement, etc. the stuff a girl would normally be able to do. i can also use my intuition as well... but too much of it all - and i just go crazy.

Posts: 33 | From: Westfield, NJ | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 09:39            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, I'd never thought of it that way. I tend to automatically turn my head towards anything that moves (so look out for when you get a continual stream of peripheral vision hallucinations), so it may well be that being presented with a lot of motion is confusing. Especially if I'm hoping to meet someone cute, it's even harder to shut all those signals out as I have a vested interest in watching everything.

I'm not claustrophobic, though; I much prefer the smallest space possible. You can achieve this in a large room by earphones for audio and only the VDU for light, and the world stops where you do. But larger spaces aren't normally a problem really.

Incidentally, "INTJ" (or the other combinations) reminds me of the idea of zipping a zipped zip file...

IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 10:07      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I hate crowds. I'm claustrophobic, and yeah, there's taht overstimulation thing.

It's more of a sensory barrage. Too much data all at once, can't process it all, etc. In the lab we call it saturation and either dilute the sample or adjust the detector. Unfortunately, in social settings, I can't just adust my brain or dilute the crowd. What I can do, however, is go hide after the first two hours at a large party. I need about half an hour to decompress, calm down, reset myself, and then I can go back out and do the social thing. People rarely notice I'm gone, and the ones that do are usually the ones that know me well enough to understand what's going on.

I do exactly the same thing. Everyone else will be inside listening to loud music, talking, and generally making lots of noise, and I'll be outside writing haiku or something [Smile]

Unfortunately, what tends to happen is that 3 or 4 smokers will stand right next to me, puffing away, and I'll be forced back inside.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 10:17            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hm, Pocket Gameboy and a copy of Galaxian... oo that would be so cool...

Bloody smokers! :P Someone should ban them from bus stops too.

IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 11:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm odd with crowds. The more people I know in a crowd, the more likely I am to be withdrawn and not participate.

A crowd of total strangers, on the other hand, is an opportunity to make a total scene if I'm in the right mood (particularly if it's in a place I'm not likely to ever visit again). If I know I'm not going to deal with long-term social consequences of my actions, I tend to be very outgoing and willing to engage in anything that sounds fun and won't get me lynched or arrested.

I'm not sure what that makes me, other than really annoying to strangers [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mochan
Geek
Member # 5035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2006 15:20      Profile for Mochan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm more like FireSnake. I'm not agoraphobic or anything, I just have a lot of things I enjoy doing on my own. I also find that being with a lot of people can be tiring, it's far more relaxing to be on my own.

You'll find me going to karaoke to sing my guts out, or go out and dance a jig with the nightlife mongers, it's not so much a matter of shyness but more a matter of willingness; I have much fun and enjoyment for instance typing away at a messageboard than the aforementioned activities.

Posts: 118 | From: Manila | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
MzSunn
Mini Geek
Member # 5144

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 10:15      Profile for MzSunn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of stimulation overload in your case? I am guessing I know the feeling, or feelings ... The fear of missing out on everything going on around you, or that anything you do will get swallowed up as insignificant as everyone else also has to have their turn. Or everyone does notice and you get too much praise and glory. Or seeing all the loving and friending and realise you want your share, but that you also want to do it just with one special person instead of a crowd, or that you have mental virginity attached to other experiences you want to try out. Or just so much to take in that you feel too rushed to try it all...

AND

I'm odd with crowds. The more people I know in a crowd, the more likely I am to be withdrawn and not participate.

I know a person like both of these who has both of these tendancies I am attracted to him. I am not sure what the attraction to Geeks is for me.

--------------------
Lovely Lovely Mushy Center

Posts: 54 | From: Atlanta GA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture