homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Girls, Girls, Girls!   » Dancing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dancing
Ozymandias
Newbie Larva
Member # 5073

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 17:18      Profile for Ozymandias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So a little while back I took up dancing, and have been told that guys that know how to dance are more attractive than men who don't. How true is this?

--------------------
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough."

-Taijutsu axiom #3

"If you get caught cheating, you're STILL not trying hard enough"

-Taijutsu axiom #4

Posts: 9 | From: In Transit | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2006 17:29      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandias:
So a little while back I took up dancing, and have been told that guys that know how to dance are more attractive than men who don't. How true is this?

I doubt that works as a general statement, you can assume if a girl likes dancing she is more likely to date a man who can dance than not. But if she doesn't care and prefers other charactoristics of a man she would take a man with those as opposed to one lacking these while able to dance.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 05:17      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose the statement likely holds a little more ground in a club setting... I know that I'm not a fan of dancing (read: I dance like a skinny white guy)... and would rather just go out and shoot some pool. But most of the girls that I know would rather go out dancing.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 08:15      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mate, at least you don't dance like a fat, white dude like me

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 07, 2006 08:23      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to state that another way. There are more women who like to dance than men. Thus, in a dance setting, men have more choice to pick up from, while women can't be picky or they'll dance alone (or with another girl, and to take the usual stance: not that there's anything wrong with that!), or not at all. So when a man knows how to dance, he has greater chance to pick up a (dancing) woman. In my book, it's not exactly the same as being more attractive, but the result is similar. Plus, dancing is a great way to meet people, and the more people you meet, the greater the chance to find a match.

(I've been thinking of taking up dacing courses too, though in my case, I'd only increase the unbalance.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 07, 2006 11:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not being afraid to dance is a real plus, at least it was for me as a teenager. Once I got over the fear of dancing, I had a great time at dances, and it opened up a lot of doors with women. I would *highly* recommend it for those seeking fun and companionship. [Cool]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 12:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
(I've been thinking of taking up dacing courses too, though in my case, I'd only increase the unbalance.)

Bingo. Don't learn - just sit around with all the guys saying "I don't know how to dance." [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 13:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was talking to a friend yesterday about the Latin Dancing classes she attends. Apparently, 2/3 of the class are female, so many of the women have to Tango with other women.

So all you lonely geek-guys, if you want to Tango with h0t ch1x, get on down to your local dance school !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 14:16      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:

Bingo. Don't learn - just sit around with all the guys saying "I don't know how to dance." [Razz]
You know, I can pretend I don't know how to dance even if I do, but if the guy of my dream ask me for a dance, I'll be able to say "I'd be honored!" Win-win! (And then, there's this thing about wearing one of those dresses rather than just looking at them.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 21:02      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can dance...but then again I'm a sexy beast. Sorry I can't be of any help.
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 21:55      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandias:
So a little while back I took up dancing, and have been told that guys that know how to dance are more attractive than men who don't.

Yes.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2006 23:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Not being afraid to dance is a real plus, at least it was for me as a teenager. Once I got over the fear of dancing, I had a great time at dances, and it opened up a lot of doors with women.

Front doors or back doors?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 02:57      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm,

Now that is a interesting question.

Which therefore might mean... An interesting answer, maybe. [crazy]

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 04:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't dance to save my life -- and I'm OK with that. I still love me.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 06:40      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told my baby brother to learn to dance. I said you don't have to be great at it, women want a guy to go out on the floor with them. So he and I would practice in the livingroom. It worked for him. He isn't a great dancer, but it got him a date with his now wife.

And I know personally that I love to dance. Having a guy who is willing to go out there with me means a lot. It shows that he wants me to have fun and is willing to try and have fun with me.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 07:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like men who dance well simply because it shows they're strong leaders. Or, for those who don't dance well, but enjoy trying, I like that they're game for anything. That's my kind of guy. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 08, 2006 07:08      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls like money. While you are dancing, make sure you have $50 bills hanging out of your pockets.
Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 07:09      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I humiliate girls when I dance with them. [evil]

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 07:11      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alternatively, if you're looking to get a girl easily... if you lower your standards slightly (to put it lightly), you could sell drugs and get a girl that will put out for free drugs. Hey, it works for some people.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 08:08      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should mention dancing attracting women, I read an article from Netscape just two days ago which is about how men should dance to attract women.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 08:26      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, I can learn to dance Online! [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 16:25      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, all ladies would pick a non-dancing Brad Pitt over a dancing Mchael Moore any day. Now, if you even out the playing field, they would definitely go for a dancing Brad Pitt over a non-dancing one, but I'm not so sure about Michael Moore [Razz]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HypedOnMuffins
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3760

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2006 16:41      Profile for HypedOnMuffins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a girl, I'd have to say that dancing isn't THE thing that makes a girl turn her head... but it can be a plus. It looks cool if a guy can dance.

Just to let you know though, it looks a hell of a lot cooler (and very head turning) if a guy can/will sing.

...just a suggestion. *has never been sang to* *sobs*

--------------------
It's really rude to hate muffins when they so like you! Muffins are quite fond of people, why don't you like them too?

Posts: 12 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 10:27      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those of you who don't know how to dance have one up on me...I learnt how to dance at an industrial club. Therefore, I can only really do this jerky stomp dance that looks awesome when something like Funker Vogt is playing, but ridiculous when paired with anything else. If someone tries to dance with or near me, they'll inevitably catch a spinning back-fist to the face or something.

It sucks at wedding receptions. [Roll Eyes]

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 10:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Those of you who don't know how to dance have one up on me...I learnt how to dance at an industrial club. Therefore, I can only really do this jerky stomp dance that looks awesome when something like Funker Vogt is playing, but ridiculous when paired with anything else. If someone tries to dance with or near me, they'll inevitably catch a spinning back-fist to the face or something.

It sucks at wedding receptions. [Roll Eyes]

I would pay to see that.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture