homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Do you just "know" when it is right? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you just "know" when it is right?
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2009 19:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geekygoddess wrote:
What should I send them as a wedding present?

A gift certificate for a marriage counseling service.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 04:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
geekygoddess wrote:

That's actually a really great idea for anyone who gets married. Counseling has a stigma attached to it, but really, it's so helpful in maintaining a healthy marriage.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 09:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
geekygoddess wrote:

That's actually a really great idea for anyone who gets married. Counseling has a stigma attached to it, but really, it's so helpful in maintaining a healthy marriage.
While it may be a considerate gift. It is kinda like buying your wife a new apron for an anniversary gift. It may be useful, but it certainly isn't smart.
Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 14:48      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Do you know that soon if it is right or not?

I use the following Cap'n Vic™ sliding scale:

Spit------->Like
Swallow---->Love
Gargle----->Lust

It has never been proven to fail.

Try it at home for yourself.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 15:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... I like and lust after my mouthwash, but I don't love it [crazy]
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 15:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
quote:
geekygoddess wrote:

While it may be a considerate gift. It is kinda like buying your wife a new apron for an anniversary gift. It may be useful, but it certainly isn't smart.
True story. I graduated right before Christmas and while my parents were out for that my then-boyfriend now-fiance put his arm around me and told them that he had bought me a Very Special Christmas Present. You can guess what we all thought I was getting. You can guess the general family reaction when my Very Special Present turned out to be a replacement duffel bag.

I'm surprised my sisters didn't beat him to death with spent wrapping paper tubes. My parents privately expressed their annoyance and I just sighed and shook my head. Our friends back in CO all told him he was a dork, including the men. He still doesn't understand why.

It's a nice duffel, I'll give him that. And about a month later he presented me with a ring and carried it off in such a way that he whole family forgave him for the Very Special Duffel Bag.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 16:24      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I don't understand what's wrong with an apron at that juncture if she likes to cook and does a lot of it? It would be a practical and economical gift and something she'll use for years to come. What's wrong with that?

ETA: Or am I the only women in the world who doesn't like being showered with expensive gifts?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 16:28      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanth - in an effort to bring a little "guy perspective" to your bittersweet story, I would like to offer an observation.

It seems to me that when a bloke chooses a really stoopid gift, that is when he has thought longest and hardest about what would would be the most special, most individual, and most personal gift.

It is just a shame that on each such occasion, the gift the bloke chooses is guaranteed to be about as wide of the mark as is physically possible.

Don't be too harsh on us, we do our feeble-minded best.

And really......our lives would be so much easier if our female counterparts were not, without exception, walking, talking, definitions of capriciousness, contrariness, and obfuscation. [Razz]

As Spungo might say (if he hasn't already)....

"Women! - can't live with 'em.....

can't bury 'em under the patio!"
[evil]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 16:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: I'll see your duffel-bag, and raise you an anvil.

Mrs Druid (a metalsmith) really liked it. Do you have any idea how hard it is to buy an anvil these days?

Oh, and I got some really strange looks lugging it home on the tram.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 12 posted May 05, 2009 17:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash wrote (in imitation of spungo's style):
"Women! - can't live with 'em.....

can't bury 'em under the patio!"

Sure you can. Just the other day, I... uh...

Went out for pizza.

Yeah. Pizza.

Dunno why I thought that would be related.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 19:17      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you see Steen, this is why whenever we meet it is ALWAYS in a public place...just sayin'...

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 19:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's why, if I ever buy GG a gift, it's gonna be a vacuum cleaner. Just sayin' [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 21:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: Well...they ought to know that it was the perfect present for you. [Razz]
And also that it's totally in your style and all, so...yeah.

Silly women wanting to kill men - this sexism is just so wrong!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 22:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to put this in further perspective, he's been telling me for years that I need to hury up and graduate so we can get married (not sure why I had to graduate first but whatever) and then he told my parents about teh anticipated Very Special Present in the context of explaining why they should get me a motorcycle helmet so I could go riding with him. Considering how much money he makes, they assumed that the reason he was asking them to get me a motorcycle helmet was because my Very Special Present was also very pricey, not a $30 duffel bag (or, at least, I hope it wasn't much more than that...it's a nice duffel bag but it's not that nice). I wasn't even the person who decided I needed the new duffel. My old one and I were getting on just fine. It was just looking really ratty.

Usually he is not such a dumbass. The ring that eventually appeared was very well thought out and tastefully chosen so as best to ensure I'd actually wear it and not just put it away in a drawer (and I really wish people would stop making stupid assumptions because the stone is so tiny...big fscking rocks slice up gloves and just scare me - I'm supposed to wear how much of a guy's salary on my finger??). But when he decides to be stupid, he goes the whole hog. To compound my frustration, when I've asked him for something practical he's whined and complained. Laser pointer? He howled like a dying wolf, but he got it for me. Laptop case? Only after he saw me wrapping my lappy in a t-shirt. And he flat out refused to get me an apron. So my mom sewed one for me. And then he got all covetous so she made him one too. [Razz]

I didn't get the motorcycle helmet either. I think my parents were sending him a message. So I'm saving up for that in addition to a bike (kreziserb got me lessons for my birthday and I passed the test so you can fill in the blanks).

ETA: a new vacuum would go over very nicely at this point. But both of us are strangely horrified at the prospect of vacuum shopping. Word on the street is it sucks.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2009 03:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ Xanthine __ Vacuum cleaner, Go bag less. Do you know how hard it is to get the correct bag for an orphan Vacuum.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2009 09:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

ETA: a new vacuum would go over very nicely at this point. But both of us are strangely horrified at the prospect of vacuum shopping. Word on the street is it sucks.

Yeah, and buying a fan blows.

Congrats on the two-wheel endorsement. I want pics of the bike when you get it.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 06, 2009 09:45      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ETA: Or am I the only women in the world who doesn't like being showered with expensive gifts?

I will prefer a well-thought (and I mean something that shows that the giver knows my tastes and cares enough to acknoledge them) but cheap gift over an expensive but generic one. Every time. But I wouldn't say no to a well-thought and expensive gift. [evil]

(So guys: I prefer fiery opals - ooooh! colors! - and amethists - violet is my favorite color - over diamonds. Mystic topaz are nice too. Got it? [crazy] [Angel] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2009 11:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Yeah, and buying a fan blows.

Congrats on the two-wheel endorsement. I want pics of the bike when you get it.

It might be a while. I just bought some $$ plane tickets. Unless kreziserb makes good on his threats to buy a bigger bike and give me his old one. [Razz]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2009 10:10      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It might be a while. I just bought some $$ plane tickets. Unless kreziserb makes good on his threats to buy a bigger bike and give me his old one. [Razz]

I have only been threatening to get mine running for two years now.

And currently it is in pieces at a storage unit.

Three (Three!!!) moves and now a truck project have kinda put that on the backburner. And now the thought it to take it back down to pieces and build a new frame from scratch. So perhaps when I celebrate my 50th I will take it out for a ride...

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture